The Boys

I love this series. I don't care about mocking heroes or the comics industry--I just really like the characters of the Boys. Butcher is a magnificent bastard.

Butcher may just be the greatest character Garth Ennis has ever created.... and I love Garth Ennis' characters.

You should all know that I have my dreamcast for this already mapped out.

This of course would obviously have to be an HBO series.

Once I'm done with the Random Avatar thing...I'm getting a Butcher avatar. Steal my idea at your own peril.

Okay, now I feel guilty. Butcher still isn't as great as Jesse Custer. That guy may be the most likable character in all comic books.

The greatest character Ennis created was The Saint of Killers. I mean come on.

Seriously.

In all honesty, I didn't like the end of Preacher. The ultimate portrayal of God seemed cheap, and the whole "You have Jesus Christ's initials!" thing was beat over our head.

But the Saint of Killers ascending to God's throne was cool enough to make up for all that.

This issue was great for so many different reasons.

While some might say that the story is preposterous and this issue doesn't really do anything to further the story itself---they're wrong. And they're right.

While it's true that this issue doesn't offer up much new on the arc---what it does do is gives us an opportunity to see some of the Hughie and Butcher on their downtime. Thus giving us a small glimpse into their personalities. Because lets face it---if this book is gonna stick around for 50 issues....we gotta care more about the characters other than just knowing that they hate Supers.

I get what Ennis is trying to do here. He's trying to build a world to tell the story in.....not tell a story and get outta here.

While I don't see this "out-Preachering" Preacher anytime soon.....it'll definitely be one of Ennis' trademark series within the next 2 volumes. Hopefully we get that far.

This issue was great for so many different reasons.

While some might say that the story is preposterous and this issue doesn't really do anything to further the story itself---they're wrong. And they're right.

While it's true that this issue doesn't offer up much new on the arc---what it does do is gives us an opportunity to see some of the Hughie and Butcher on their downtime. Thus giving us a small glimpse into their personalities. Because lets face it---if this book is gonna stick around for 50 issues....we gotta care more about the characters other than just knowing that they hate Supers.

I get what Ennis is trying to do here. He's trying to build a world to tell the story in.....not tell a story and get outta here.

While I don't see this "out-Preachering" Preacher anytime soon.....it'll definitely be one of Ennis' trademark series within the next 2 volumes. Hopefully we get that far.

Yeah I think a lot of the best long running self contained series start with less story and more just about the world they're in. The 1st trade of transmet is just a short 3 ish story to set the tone, then the 2nd trade is all pretty much one-shots just showing what technology stuff they've got in the future. The overarching story doesn't really start until the 3rd trade, year two.
Same with preacher, first trade he gets genesis, we're introduced to some characters, saint of killers kicks ***, then some little story about a serial killer, which isn't really too much a part of the long running story.
I'm definitely in for the long haul, I love this book so.

I still love this series......but I'm thinking about switching to tradewait because the stories aren't strong enough to carry weight on their own single issues.

Hehe...Love Sausage.

Yeah...after the way this last arc ended, I think I'm gonna tradewait this series.

I don't really know what or where Ennis is going with this...but right now it's sort of adjectiveless. There's no real progression. It's Ennis poking fun at superheroes and being graphic and vulgar just for the sake of it.

Yeah...after the way this last arc ended, I think I'm gonna tradewait this series.

I don't really know what or where Ennis is going with this...but right now it's sort of adjectiveless. There's no real progression. It's Ennis poking fun at superheroes and being graphic and vulgar just for the sake of it.

That's the same way I feel about most Ennis series.

From Variety.Com comes news of a film adaptation of The Boys:
Columbia Pictures has acquired the rights to indie comicbook "The Boys" and will develop a feature adaptation along with producer Neal H. Moritz and his Sony-based Original Film banner.

Moritz characterized the series as an original take on the superhero genre. "Rather than begin with a romantic idea of superheroes out to save the world, 'The Boys' imagines a world in which superheroes really exist, with all of the flaws that real people have," he said. "The boys are there to make sure that people with superhuman powers don't get out of line."
Moritz is currently an executive producer of Prison Break and was recently credited as producer on Vantage Point, I Am Legend and Evan Almighty. As always, click the following link for more.

Last edited:
Hmmmm. I'm not sure if this would be best suited for the big screen or a TV series?
I think it could work as a movie with an open ending that says, "We might have sequels and/or TV spin offs but we're not going to **** around and use a cliffhanger to say that."

Latest posts

Back