The Dark Knight {Spoilers Abound}

Merely mention on a newscast that the Joker (real name still unknown) was executed through lethal injection and died laughing all the way. I'm sure they can use unused footage from this film if they needed to show him in the newscast for a few seconds.

Lame.

Joker needs to be mentioned as locked away in Arkham Asylum.

The threat of the Joker is all Batman needs. Having him die would ruin that.

Lame.

Joker needs to be mentioned as locked away in Arkham Asylum.

The threat of the Joker is all Batman needs. Having him die would ruin that.

The empty threat of the Joker being locked up in Arkham is whats lame. It spits in the eye of what this movie established the character as.

Banishing him to Arkham would ruin the character. He'd planned everything out to a T in this movie. Its illogical he'd be stuck in Arkham for any extended period of time without coming up with a plan to escape. If Ra's and his goons could blow up a wall of Arkham and help dozens upon dozens of crazies escape, I think the Joker we saw in this movie could at least get himself out.

There's no Arkham option for this Joker in my opinion.

If Ledger were still alive to continue the role, by all means I'd love to see more Joker in a third movie. However, with the death of the actor that made the role what it was, it seems right to kill the character too. Keeping the character alive but knowing we won't see him ever again (because the actor is dead) is the lamest of all.

They can keep the character alive, without having heath return.

just as Batman inspired copycats, so can The Joker, so his presence is felt without actually having him on screen, he could be the inciting incident behind a large chunk of new villain appearences.

The Joker, like Batman is a symbol, and a symbol is not tied down explicitly to one person, a symbol is a product of society.

fair point.

also, i have been very impressed with joseph gordon levitt... hes an above decent actor, and he often looks very much like ledger. :/ im not saying for him to take over the roll, but merely fill it for a brief scene with the joker. nothing big

Um. Wow. That's really all anyone can say after seeing this. I mean every single part of the movie had me enthralled, and their was so much going on. Honestly if Heath doesn't win best Supporting Actor then the Academy Awards are the most evil establishment in the world. Everything about the Joker was perfect in the film. My favorite part was how he kept making up new back stories for himself on his own origin. It just shows how crazy he really is. I just felt sad leaving the theater about us never seeing the Joker again. And Aaron Eckhart was absolutly perfect as Harvey Dent. That scene with Dent, Gordon and Batman on the rooftop was so awesome just because you knew what these three characters were all about to go through. I'm really really hoping that Dent returns in the third one, if only for the fact that he was absolutely amazing in this. I also loved how the design that they had for Dent, the protruding eye, the visible tendons, it was really terrifying. The end had me really pumped up just because I'm now so excited to see the manhunt for Batman in the third one, it also makes the possibility of characters like Bane and the Riddler becoming huge threats. On the subject of the Joker, I really think that all you need is a brief shot of someone walking by a cell in Arkham with a sign "Identity Unknown" and some crazy laughing coming out of the cell, maybe even flash a glimpse of the scarred smile. I'm very excited to see what a third film has instore and I think that Nolan can do no wrong with this series.

It was excellent. Not perfect, but excellent. The Ledger issue is driving me nuts with frustration. Anybody saying that the Joker can just stop here and not be mentioned again in the franchise is wrong. Get Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play him. The character is NOT done, and people need more.

Having said that, although Heath played the part to perfection, I don't think he really deserves an Oscar nomination for the same reason I don't think Ellen Page did either: I just don't think it was that hard or complicated a part to play. Daniel Plainview, there's an Oscar-worthy performance, but with this Joker.... he's just showing the same set of emotions throughout all his screen time. He's doing it very intensely and believably, sure, but I don't buy that there aren't a few dozen big-name actors out there who could have played every scene in that movie the exact same way(from Crispin Glover to Hugh Laurie). I suspected this since I saw the first clips of it and now having seen the whole performance, this hasn't changed: I think even I could've played that part shot-for-shot exactly the same as Ledger did, which loses my vote in terms of an acting nom. I couldn't have played Daniel Plainview, or Jack Sparrow, or Warren Schmidt, but this..... it's not pinnacle-of-acting stuff. Most good actors could've done it.

A Best Picture nomination.... maybe. It certainly deserves it more than around two of the movies that have been nominated each year for the past five or so.

My favorite part was when the Joker put that guy's head onto the pencil.

That was, without question, the best moment in that entire film for me. In fact.... it was too good, because the Joker never topped it after that. Everything else he did in the film was something that a regular insane, high-stakes movie villain could've done. But that.... that shocking, circus-of-nightmares moment.... was one of a kind. It's one of my favourite Joker moments EVER. Like Top-5 or 3. I wanted to see more of that. I wanted more clownish antics. That's the one thing about this depiction of the character that let me down(other than the fact that it's just plain wrong to see the Joker's bare arms sporting more of a tan than I have)..... he was a great villain, and he was a great lunatic psycho, and he was very deadly, but..... he wasn't "the Joker" most of the time. He was "the Crazy guy" or "the Psychopath who's really enjoying himself". "Two bombs. Two Hostages. You only have time to save ONE!".... it's just the typical crazy, sadistic villain stuff. The only tie he had to that name was the playing card gimmick. Other than that, you could've called that character "The Grin" and the movie would've been exactly the same.

Random stuff:

- It was interesting how you didn't see Christian Bale's face for like the whole last third of the movie. Good or bad, I haven't quite decided for sure...

- If Harvey Dent is dead(he better not be, it's a waste if it is), they should've made it a more gruesome, obvious impact. I was surprised when they showed what looked like a funeral ceremony because I didn't realize he was supposed to be dead from the fall.

- Scarecrow's surprise(for me at least, not having clicked on the rumour thread in months) cameo practically made the movie. I literally said "Yeeeessss." When he came onto the screen. That sucked me right back into their world and I was home-away-from-home from there.

- I think the Joker's hair should've been moussed up into a more traditional Joker 'do. Same length or not, different style for different scenes or not, at one point in the movie he should've taken that hair and loosely, messily ace-ventura'd it.

- Gordon coming back from the dead got a huge round of applause, included from a very relieved me.

- The truck flipping over a few minutes earlier also got applause, which was awesome.

On the whole, somewhere around a 9.5/10, with a little give in each direction.

Last edited:
Just watched this. Damn good piece of work. I loved seeing the Scarecrow. The Joker impaling that poor thug's head on the pencil was pure evil genius. The whole audience in the theatre just went still. And that line, "...you could say I know your friends better than you ever did." That was awesomeness squared. The plot with the two ferrys was great as well. The prisoner saying he was going to do what they should have done ten minutes ago, and then chucking the detonator out the window, was excellent.

Eckhart's Dent was awesome, both as the mighty crusader and as the twisted vigilante. I don't really have any complaints, though Bruce Wayne did not have enought screen time in the last third/quarter, but that is just my opinion. And call me shallow, but first Katie Holmes, and now Maggie Gyllenhaal? Who's next? They are both decent actresses, but whatever...

9.2/10

As for previews; The Spirit looks iffy, and Watchmen looks intriguing. The Comedian looks badass, which is good. They messed up Rorshach's quote.

Get it while it's hot folks, The Dark Knight is currently the #3 movie of all time on the IMDb Top-250 - http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0468569/. In addition, it's also the highest rated overall(9.6, as opposed to The Godfather and Shawshank's 9.2's), but only votes from "regular members"(the definition of which IMDB keeps a secret) are counted for the Top-250.

I'm sure it will break the opening-weekend record(I saw the 10:30 showing which was as sold out as the two before it and the ones before the sun came up that this morning), and the line-up looked longer than I remember it being for Opening-Day Spider-Man 1.

Now that the movie's actually out I hoping it'll be a matter of days before they reveal the whole "Heath Ledger's Dead" thing was just a publicity stunt. Oh God, do I ever hope.

Man, I thought I was gonna be the first to say that Joseph Gordon-Levitt should play him. Oh well. I pretty much agree with everything that has been said. It IS my new favorite movie and I do agree that it was almost perfect, if not perfect.

Possible Best Picture nomination and I think Ledger is definitely gonna get the Best Supporting Actor nomination atleast.

Just got back from it, this movie made my year with it's awesomeness. Even though people in the theater were pissing me off to no end.

Points to mention:

-I loved the Scarecrow cameo.

-I liked how Gordon's "death" completely threw me off track for Rachel's.

-Joker was incredible, but I think you guys are being to harsh when you say nobody else could play him as well as Ledger. That being said, I would be happy with just a cameo in the next one.

-I agree with the people who hope for Harvey to be alive. Think about it, him being alive has far greater consequences for Batman and Gordon, he's their darkest secret.

-For the next one I think Bane would be a good fit to hunt down the Batman.

-Also, was there a scene after the credits or anything?

So, you know. I'm a wee bit disappointed with the internet. We were given a bit of clue in this movie about the next film which no one seems to have picked up on. I'm not really disappointed nor am I upset, Dark Knight was a thick film in running time and in plot.

But..."That Guy" that "figures out" Batman's identity?

Anyone try to catch his name?

"Mr. Reese." Mysteries. Riddler. I'm calling it now. A bit of a stretch...maybe not as much as you thought. Riddler was all but announced as a cameo in this, everyone thought Anthony Michael Hall would be him since Nolan said that there was a character in here the fans would go nuts over at the same time they announced Hall was playing an undisclosed character.

We put one and one together and got 3 on Hall being Riddler, but a man who's the only one in Gotham that can figure out who's Batman and his name is "Mister Reese" which phonetically similar to the word 'Mysteries' which is like a riddle...

I'm saying that Riddler may have had a small bit part in this movie and his role and his knowledge of who's Batman will become a bigger focus point in Batman 3.

EDIT:

In fact, I happened to find something which may back up my almost random babbling.

Gary Oldman let's slip that Riddler's the next villain.

What did he say?

Oldman then took a moment to think about it some more, "Maybe we don't need the Joker. Because we'll have The Riddler." Yes, Oldman alluded to the fact that The Riddler may in fact be the next on-screen Batman villain.

Last edited:
Merely mention on a newscast that the Joker (real name still unknown) was executed through lethal injection and died laughing all the way. I'm sure they can use unused footage from this film if they needed to show him in the newscast for a few seconds.

That's a pretty horrible idea. Why would they kill off the Joker when they have him talking in the movie about how Batman and him are going to end up fighting each other forever. It would make that part of his speech pointless, which would be a shame because I liked that bit alot. Anyway realistically the Joker wouldn't get the death penalty, he's freakin' nuts. I'm pretty sure that you can't give the death penalty to someone that is insane. He'd go to a mental institution in the real world, so he should definitely be sent to Arkham.

In terms of Two-Face, after watching the movie a second time there really is no concrete evidence that he is dead. I don't think he fell from a height that would automatically kill him. I think he may have been knocked unconscious. I hope he's not dead.

One qualm that I have is Mr. Reese and his whole story line. It completely wasn't needed in the movie. They definitely could have cut that stuff out. It would have worked well in a different movie, but in this one it just felt off. Other than that and a few other things great movie. I want to see Black Mask, Penguin, and Cat-woman in the next (unless of course we get more Joker or Two-Face).

Last edited:
Get Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play him. The character is NOT done, and people need more.

hey, one person agrees with me! yaaay!

but yeah, as far as crispin glover or anyone else being able to play the same part as heath- i kinda disagree there. i mean, yeah i could have seen them in the role, BUT i don't think ANYONE could have done with the role what heath did. crispin would have played that WAY differently, for example. i was just flabbergasted at how f'ed up the movie, and esp. the joker, was.

One qualm that I have is Mr. Reese and his whole story line. It completely wasn't needed in the movie. They definitely could have cut that stuff out. It would have worked well in a different movie, but in this one it just felt off.

It showed how the Joker was tightening his grip on the city and having people fall into anarchy, like he said during his speech on plans: If you have a plan, people will follow it because it makes them feel safe (in this case the plan was kill Mr. Reese and I won't blow up the hospital).

Last edited:
I'm still thinking that Mike Engel could end up becoming the Riddler in the next film. Maybe he helps the manhunt for Batman and becomes a freak just like the Joker in order to stop the Batman who almost got him killed in the Joker's manhunt for him. Maybe have an intense interogation scene of him and Mr. Reese where he brutalizes him but Reese doesn't give up his name and the Riddler decides to go to other villains in order to find Batman. I still think Bane would work great as the mastermind behind the fall of Batman. And of course other villains could show up in order to help take him down. I'd love to see Two-Face return in some capacity and even the Joker for a small bit. I still think Knightfall should be adapted so that Bane and Riddler break everyone out of Arkham and Batman has to face all of these villains that he put behind bars. Scarecrow, Two-Face, Joker, and some others maybe. I seem to have gone on a stream of thoughts and don't know what my point is anymore so I'll just stop.

They can keep the character alive, without having heath return.

just as Batman inspired copycats, so can The Joker, so his presence is felt without actually having him on screen, he could be the inciting incident behind a large chunk of new villain appearences.

The Joker, like Batman is a symbol, and a symbol is not tied down explicitly to one person, a symbol is a product of society.

You're confusing the character himself with something he could be an influence for. If the character of the Joker doesn't return, and just copycats mimicking him, then those aren't Jokers. Were the Batman wannabes at the beginning of this one Batman? :?

As for your idea, though, I agree. As long as the role isn't recast, I'm fine with it.

So, you know. I'm a wee bit disappointed with the internet. We were given a bit of clue in this movie about the next film which no one seems to have picked up on. I'm not really disappointed nor am I upset, Dark Knight was a thick film in running time and in plot.

"Mr. Reese." Mysteries. Riddler. I'm calling it now. A bit of a stretch...maybe not as much as you thought. Riddler was all but announced as a cameo in this, everyone thought Anthony Michael Hall would be him since Nolan said that there was a character in here the fans would go nuts over at the same time they announced Hall was playing an undisclosed character.

We put one and one together and got 3 on Hall being Riddler, but a man who's the only one in Gotham that can figure out who's Batman and his name is "Mister Reese" which phonetically similar to the word 'Mysteries' which is like a riddle...

I'm saying that Riddler may have had a small bit part in this movie and his role and his knowledge of who's Batman will become a bigger focus point in Batman 3.

EDIT:

In fact, I happened to find something which may back up my almost random babbling.

What did he say?

Very interesting.

That's a pretty horrible idea. Why would they kill off the Joker when they have him talking in the movie about how Batman and him are going to end up fighting each other forever. It would make that part of his speech pointless, which would be a shame because I liked that bit alot. Anyway realistically the Joker wouldn't get the death penalty, he's freakin' nuts. I'm pretty sure that you can't give the death penalty to someone that is insane. He'd go to a mental institution in the real world, so he should definitely be sent to Arkham.

I don't want the Joker to be killed off, per se, but I don't want the role recast either. Recasting the role is an even more "horrible idea". We got the Joker in this movie, his story is done, despite the "fighting till the end of time" line. As far as I'm concerned that was more to symbolize the Joker as Batman's opposite and arch-enemy. It doesn't mean they'll both live on fighting the rest of their lives like the comic book continuity. As for him getting the death penalty, I didn't really think that through. Maybe he requests it, or due to his intricate planning throughout this movie its proven he's NOT insane in the court, just devious.

Regardless, NO MORE JOKER WITHOUT HEATH LEDGER IN THE ROLE. **** Joseph Gordon Levitt (who is a good actor and who I met in person back when I interned at NBC/CBS Studios on 3rd Rock From the Sun over a decade ago). Ledger made the role his own.

And honestly, even if Ledger were still alive, I wouldn't want the Joker as a main villain in a third movie. I prefer they focus on new villains. If the Joker were to appear in a third, it'd be disappointing because we'd all expect more from the character than we should. We got his story in this movie, its over. What else do we need to know about the Joker? Its stupid to continue with him, honestly. A different actor playing the role will cause the character to lose its mystique and interest in a third movie, trust me.

Last edited:
It showed how the Joker was tightening his grip on the city and having people fall into anarchy, like he said during his speech on plans: If you have a plan, people will follow it because it makes them feel safe (in this case the plan was kill Mr. Reese and I won't blow up the hospital).

I think it is pretty clear that Joker is driving Gotham toward anarchy ever without this storyline. Nolan easily could have figured something else to work. Reese just didn't fit in with the rest of the movie.

While Bane would work for the next, I think Black Mask, Cat-woman, Penguin, or even Riddler would work better in Nolan's Batman. The past two have been kind of gritty, crime dramas, in the same vein as The Departed, Heat, or any other Mob movie. I hope that that Reese guy doesn't become Riddler though, he was about as menacing as Alfred.

And honestly, even if Ledger were still alive, I wouldn't want the Joker as a main villain in a third movie. I prefer they focus on new villains. If the Joker were to appear in a third, it'd be disappointing because we'd all expect more from the character than we should. We got his story in this movie, its over. What else do we need to know about the Joker? Its stupid to continue with him, honestly. A different actor playing the role will cause the character to lose its mystique and interest in a third movie, trust me.

I see what you're saying. I'm just saying don't kill him off. Maybe they should make no mention of him in the next one, and then in 7,8,9 years (or how ever long it takes) recast him. I think that would be enough time after the death of Heath, and would give a different actor a chance to do their interpretation. As good as Heath was (and he was excellent) I don't like the idea of the Joker never appearing in a Batman film again.

The filmmakers are kinda screwed. It's going to be hard for them to get a villain as interesting as the Joker, yet I'm not sure about recasting the role.

And apparently TDK took the one day box office record from Spider-man 3, with $66.4 million on Friday. This in addition to it's record box office for midnight showings.

Last edited:

EDIT:

What did he say?

That is a pretty cool idea, I don't know how to make him a main villain but it'll be fun to have him return like that. Also I doubt Coleman knows for sure, it sounds like he was naming another villain to prove a point.

That is a pretty cool idea, I don't know how to make him a main villain but it'll be fun to have him return like that. Also I doubt Coleman knows for sure, it sounds like he was naming another villain to prove a point.

Don't you mean Oldman?

And yeah, I don't want that punk to become The Riddler. Plus Nolan wants A-Listers for his movies. If he does come back, I mean....

Don't you mean Oldman?

And yeah, I don't want that punk to become The Riddler. Plus Nolan wants A-Listers for his movies. If he does come back, I mean....

**** Oldman that's right. I think maybe Hall becomes the riddler just because at first when he was casted the wouldn't reveal what his role was. Maybe he uses Reese or whatever

Latest posts

Back