The Dark Knight {Spoilers Abound}

No, no, no. Bane should definetly be the main villain in the third film, with Black Mask and the Riddler as supporting antagonists. Catwoman could even appear as the love interest for Bruce.

I'd rather have penguin than Riddler. I think Penguin could be really cool in Nolan's universe. A short, fat crime mobster that gets called the Penguin behind his back. He uses the Iceberg Lounge as a front for the mob, and deals weapons, drugs, and information. Maybe Batman can go to him to get some info or something of the like. I like to think of him as a thug with a Napoleon complex (someone on these boards has already talked about this idea of the Penguin before) that wants to prove that he can be a big crime boss. His constant smoking can even cause him some lung problems resulting in his trade mark cough. It would work.

I'd rather have penguin than Riddler. I think Penguin could be really cool in Nolan's universe. A short, fat crime mobster that gets called the Penguin behind his back. He uses the Iceberg Lounge as a front for the mob, and deals weapons, drugs, and information. Maybe Batman can go to him to get some info or something of the like. I like to think of him as a thug with a Napoleon complex (someone on these boards has already talked about this idea of the Penguin before) that wants to prove that he can be a big crime boss. His constant smoking can even cause him some lung problems resulting in his trade mark cough. It would work.

Enh....I still don't think Penguin should be in these movies. I thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was ridiculous. I'd rather just have Philip Seymour Hoffman as a regular mob guy with no deformities who is just called "the Penguin" like Carmine Falcone is called "the Roman." Actually, I think the original Penguin was just an unattractive criminal with no deformities.

Or maybe the Penguin is just an aristocrat who knows Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
Honestly I'd love to see how Nolan would do Bane, Catwoman, The Riddler, and Penguin. Just not all in the same movie. Any 3 of these could work in the movie, but not all of them, and I agree with Doublehex. People would see the similarities between The Riddler and Joker so they may not like it as much. I still wanna see what he would do though.

Enh....I still don't think Penguin should be in these movies. I thought Danny DeVito's Penguin was ridiculous. I'd rather just have Philip Seymour Hoffman as a regular mob guy with no deformities who is just called "the Penguin" like Carmine Falcone is called "the Roman." Actually, I think the original Penguin was just an unattractive criminal with no deformities.

Who said anything about deformities? I'm just talking a shortish, fat guy, maybe with a slightly big nose, who is a mob boss. People call him Penguin in a kind of mocking way which he hates. I agree that he shouldn't be the freak depicted in Burton's movie.

In general I disagree with your assertion that Heath's role was this perfectly constructed thing that all of these different actors could have filled. You are forgetting from the entire internal side of acting, and how much of this performance came from Heath and not Nolan. This wasn't a paint-by-numbers Joker by any means. You can tell the passion he put in that role, absolutely.

I don't think it was a perfectly constructed thing that was given to him as instructions or anything.... I think it was a fairly loose and obvious way to play the character that I assumed most people would've just come up with on their own. That's part of the reason I'm saying I think even I could've played it.... the way he delivered a lot of those lines and the unspecific voice he adopted is how I've always just automatically imagined I or a lot of people would be able to play the Joker, partially because it's got such a broad and loose feel to it. Maybe no one else has ever imagined him that way before and that's why it seems more artificial to me, but.... really?

While Daniel Day Lewis may be a good choice to replace Ledger (if they do it at all), realistically I'm not sure DDL would go for a big budget comic book movie. Do you know how picky the guy is?

That's why this has a shot, though. The Dark Knight is the one that finally, no-more-doubts pushed the boundaries of comic-book-movie out of the still-primarily-a-summer-blockbuster genre forever. It's a new crime and morality masterpiece and that's genuinely more about characters and plot than explosions. If ever we'd have a shot of getting Daniel Day-Lewis involved in one of our films, it's this one.

When, The Joker had that wig on in the hospital, I swear he looked like Willem Dafoe

not that I'm saying I want him to be the joker, I'm just saying it was a little striking

When they were talking about actors for the sequel three years ago right after Begins came out, Dafoe was my #1 choice for the Joker, followed by Hugh Laurie and the can't-see-anyone-complaining Johnny Depp. Looking back I'm happy Dafoe didn't get cast, but he certainly would've fit.

I really don't want them to replace Ledger, and I doubt that they will, out of respect....

Again though, I don't think Ledger would WANT this character he so clearly cared a lot about to just disappear without fulfilling the rest of the stuff they'd planned for him just because he couldn't play him anymore.

And he has to break Batman's back in the movie. KNIGHTFALL would be the perfect title.
I don't know the feesability of Bane actually breaking the back of Batman. He'd deffinetly beat the **** out of him and nearly cripple him, but to come back from a broken spine would be completely unrealistic for the film.

I was just gonna say. He can't break his back, because in this realistic story, there's just no believable way he could fully come back from that. A few broken bones and maybe a slipped disc or something that has to be painfully re-set but isn't the same as a broked back will have to do. Otherwise, there's no way they could keep the series as realistic they've worked so hard to achieve.

I think each cast of villains should be totally different from the previous cast. Just as Scarecrow and Ras'Al'Ghul was totally different from Joker and Two Face.

I am up for the Bane idea.

I agree.

Sure.

Actually, pretty much EVERY Penguin other than the one from Batman Returns has been that.

I don't see why one of the mob bosses in the next one shouldn't be Oswald Cobblepot. Or Roman Sionis for that matter.

Hmm... Richard Earle?

Last edited:
Who said anything about deformities? I'm just talking a shortish, fat guy, maybe with a slightly big nose, who is a mob boss. People call him Penguin in a kind of mocking way which he hates. I agree that he shouldn't be the freak depicted in Burton's movie.

Actually, pretty much EVERY Penguin other than the one from Batman Returns has been that.

I know the Joker has always had a pointy nose, small stature, and bird fetish, but wasn't it Burton's film that introduced the claw hands and stuff?

In the comic book Penguin's backstory, it says that has got his nickname when he was a little kid because he used to waddle. Maybe Nolan's Penguin just has a waddling problem.

Last edited:
Went to see it a second time today.

One thing, though. DID Batman break his only rule at the end? For those that have seen it, you tell me...

Words...escape...me.

Perfect.

Batman, Joker, Two-Face.

Brilliant.

I love the plays on order and chaos. Batman as order, Joker as Chaos, with Two-Face there to balance it one way or another.

Favorite version of the Joker ever.

He didn't mean to "kill" Dent. He was just trying to save the boy.

But he did kill.

Also.

Did you guys interpret Batman saving Dent as a trick on the Joker's part or did Batman actually save Dent for the greater good of Gotham? My friend and I got into it about that today...

I don't know about the Riddler because then it would seem like he was riding on the Joker bandwagon. He just has too many similiarities with the Joker.

No he doesn't... Not even a little...

The Riddler is all about Mysteries. He's like an Anti-Detective. He creates mysteries that he thinks nobody can solve but himself...

The Joker is about Chaos.

They are extraordinarily different characters, especially the way they seem to be taking this series. They are only similar if they are silly rediculous characters who make a lot of puns. I don't think they'll do that with The Riddler, and they sure as hell didn't with The Joker.

No he doesn't... Not even a little...

The Riddler is all about Mysteries. He's like an Anti-Detective. He creates mysteries that he thinks nobody can solve but himself...

They are extraordinarily different characters, especially the way they seem to be taking this series. They are only similar if they are silly rediculous characters who make a lot of puns. I don't think they'll do that with The Riddler, and they sure as hell didn't with The Joker.

Exactlly. The thing about every single Batman villain is that they all have one constant and unbreakable pattern to their madness. Joker is Anarky, Two-Face is Unbiased Justice, Bane is Superiority and the Riddler is Truth. Edward Nygma believes so deeply in truth that his compulsion forbids him from not telling others about his crimes, which is why he leaves complex riddles in order to always tell the truth.

In a way, to the Riddler Batman is the ultimate liar. A man who refuses to give up his identity is seen as a man who lives in lies. This could be a motivation factor in why the Riddler would want to solve the mystery of the Batman, because it is his duty to make the Batman tell the truth.

And I do think that Black Mask would work excellently with the theme of escalation that the films have been portraying for so long. After the murder of Falcone, Maroni, Gambol, the Russians all by these 'freaks', the mafia is overtaken by freaks of their own in the form of Black Mask.

This is why I think Bane, Riddler and Black Mask would be the ideal grouping of villains for the final film. The three represent people who all have very different motivations for going after the Batman. Bane wants to proove that he is the ultimate survivor after his years in Santa Prisca for a crime he did not commit. Riddler wants to bring Batman, the liar, to justice in his own sick way. And the Black Mask wants his seat of power at the top of the thrown for supremecy in Gotham. The three would all complement each other well in a film that would extensively deal with the hunt for Batman and would all work extremely well in the realistic world that Nolan has created.

Did you guys interpret Batman saving Dent as a trick on the Joker's part or did Batman actually save Dent for the greater good of Gotham? My friend and I got into it about that today...

Actually....I'd like to imagine that that was the case. That sounds awesome.

But Batman would have had to have known that the person he was saving was going to live.

Batman yelled to Gordon that he was saving Rachel. If he went to where he thought Dent was both him AND the cops would've showed up there. Thinking about it now, every one of the Joker's plans in the movie had one hinging detail that was "the Joker in the pack" and made the outcome an unpredictable punchline.... he was secretly one of the thugs at the bank, Rachel and Harvey were at opposite addresses, the hostages were really the gunmen, the detonaters would've actually done who knows what(they really should've mentioned something about that after the people decided not to turn the keys), etc.

Last edited:
Batman yelled to Gordon that he was saving Rachel. If he went to where he thought Dent was both him AND the cops would've showed up there. Thinking about it now, every one of the Joker's plans in the movie had one hinging detail that was "the Joker in the pack" and made the outcome an unpredictable punchline.... he was secretly one of the thugs at the bank, Rachel and Harvey were at opposite addresses, the hostages were really the gunmen, the detonaters would've actually done who knows what(they really should've mentioned something about that after the people decided not to turn the keys), etc.

Yeah.

What he said.

DDL has been in like, four movies in the last ten years.

I really don't want them to replace Ledger, and I doubt that they will, out of respect....there are other Batman villains that they could do, maybe not as good as the Joker....but I think I'd love to see Javier Bardem as BANE. You guys have been talking about it so much that I actually want to see it happen now. And he has to break Batman's back in the movie. KNIGHTFALL would be the perfect title.

I just saw this again. In IMAX. It's not that much different, but the images are much more vivid since the screen is like, 4 stories tall.

I don't doubt they would actually. That's like saying you won't hire any more acountants because Bob the acoutant died.

The world moves on the show goes on.

Show Business is still business my friend.

That's a good supporting villain, but how is he supposed to carry a whole movie?

Still the riddler is a step down from the joker and considering Riddler isn't very menacing in the comics, how is he going to carry a whole movie?

Besides how is Riddler's riddles going to seem any different from the mind games Joker pulled in this movie?

Riddler isn't a serial killer in the comics, so making him one in the movies would seem kinda jarring the general audience wouldn't be impressed, if he is a serial killer, he would come off as Joker clone to them.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back