The DVD purchase thread

On Tuesday I bought Clerks II. It was still awesome second time around. There's hours of bonus features that will keep me busy until next year! I got it for 20 bucks but when I got home and checked my email I received a coupon to get it for 18 bucks. Oh well. Losing two bucks isn't that bad.

I'm such a Jew.

Kidding! (Well, except that I am Jewish.)

I got the Lost Season 2 Boxset for my birthday. I plan to get Prison Break Season 1, Superman Returns, and am already getting Ocean's Eleven, Ocean's Twelve, and Serenity for Christmas.

I also may buy the two new versions of the original Superman movies (1, and 2: Donner's Cut), and maybe the Indiana Jones trilogy, since a bookshop is getting it in, and almost half price.

That's a lot of watching to do.

Although we already have Superman: The Movie - Extended Edition and the regular cut of Superman II, we'll probably be getting the 14-disc Super-set.

It's only $84 Cdn, and we'd be buying Superman Returns and the Donner Cut anyway, so basically we're paying an extra 30 bucks for Look! Up In The Sky!, The Fleisher Cartoons, a ridiculous amount of Special Features, and the deluxe editions of Superman III and IV(which, although dumb, are both quite enjoyable films).

That's a pretty good deal to me.

I bought the 2-Disc Pirates of the Carribbean Dead Man's Chest DVD. I watched it and I gotta say it was much better (i.e. the plot made way more sense) on the small screen than it did on the big screen (where the sound effects outdid the dialogue and the dialogue had accents).

I picked up Superman Returns last night and Pirates today.

I also really really want Hellsing Ultimate Vol.1 but it's no where to be find. Off to the UC store.

I bought Superman Returns today with a birthday voucher and got a free book, one of those Superman: The Ultimate Guide things. Sweet.

I also got my mum to buy me the Indiana Jones Trilogy for Christmas.

I recently purchased an essentials DVD of Mystery Science Theater 3000, its the one with "Manos: Hands of Fate" and "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians". The Manos one is a must for any comedy collection.:lol:

I sold the last of my Friends (TV) box sets yesterday (don't know why I got them in the first place) and used the money to buy Little Miss Sunshine.

I bought lots of anime last month. The complete Fullmetal Alchemist and the movie, Conqueror of Shamballa. Koi Kaze, a poignant and well-done series about a burgeoning incestuous yet chaste romance between a 27-year old white collar worker and his teenage sister, Revolutionary Girl Utena, Kino's Journey (highly recommended series about a traveler and his talking motorcycle) and The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya which is the best new anime I've seen this year.

Who made Kino's Journey?

I acquired over Christmas Scrubs season 4, and a movie called Old Boy. It's an imported film from Asia, about a person who is framed for murder. 15 years later, he wakes up to find his cell door open and a note saying he has one week to find out who framed him.

I'm seeing it today I think.

Who made Kino's Journey?
It's directed by Ryutaro Nakamura, who is best known as the director of serial experiments lain, though he was Sakura Wars and had a hand in an episode of Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex. As for the studio credits, they go to Genco, which also did lain, Genshiken and both seasons of Honey and Clover.

It's highly excellent and a very thought-provoking series for those with an introspective philosophical bent. Where lain chooses to go into human relations and technology's effect on that, Kino's Journey takes a laid-back approach to morality and decision making as well as how outsiders can observe other cultures.

Houde said:
and a movie called Old Boy. It's an imported film from Asia, about a person who is framed for murder. 15 years later, he wakes up to find his cell door open and a note saying he has one week to find out who framed him.

I'm seeing it today I think.
Hm, I've had Old Boy for a while but haven't gotten around to seeing it. All I know about it is what you've said and that it's a stylish action-ish affair from Korea. I really should get around to watching it, as it isn't right for me to buy a DVD and not see it a year after.

It's directed by Ryutaro Nakamura, who is best known as the director of serial experiments lain, though he was Sakura Wars and had a hand in an episode of Ghost in the Shell: Stand-Alone Complex. As for the studio credits, they go to Genco, which also did lain, Genshiken and both seasons of Honey and Clover.

It's highly excellent and a very thought-provoking series for those with an introspective philosophical bent. Where lain chooses to go into human relations and technology's effect on that, Kino's Journey takes a laid-back approach to morality and decision making as well as how outsiders can observe other cultures.

Interesting, Lain completely floored me when I watched it

And the part that freaked me the most out when I saw it, when the Alien peeked around the door in her room and waved hi.

Hm, I've had Old Boy for a while but haven't gotten around to seeing it. All I know about it is what you've said and that it's a stylish action-ish affair from Korea. I really should get around to watching it, as it isn't right for me to buy a DVD and not see it a year after.

I started it, but had watched four episodes of Scrubs beforehand, and feel asleep.

But, I'll give it another shot. So far, it's a mystery within a mystery.

Seriously....I can't bring myself to watch that again. The movie is gloriously awesome----in a totally retarded Billy Zane as the Phantomsorta way......but I just can't watch it again.

I finished Old Boy

I was not impressed. I figured out the mystery about 20 minutes into the movie, and the motive well before the 20 minute explanantion that happened at the end of the movie.

If you want details, PM me.

Latest posts

Back