The Last Airbender movie (watch the cartoon instead)

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie

I didn't plan on seeing this now because I've been looking forward to watching the tv series for years, and still am. What I'm really sad about is that this was Shyamalan's chance to finally have a hit again, since it was an adaptation and not another ludicrous original, so maybe his recent insanity wouldn't carry over and he'd have a place in Hollywood again. I was really hoping that would happen, but now, there's a good chance that this could actually, finally kill his career. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs are three of my favourite and best-directed films EVER, the last is HUGELY influential in me wanting to make films. I can't believe that guy may now never direct a big film again. :(

I didn't plan on seeing this now because I've been looking forward to watching the tv series for years, and still am. What I'm really sad about is that this was Shyamalan's chance to finally have a hit again, since it was an adaptation and not another ludicrous original, so maybe his recent insanity wouldn't carry over and he'd have a place in Hollywood again. I was really hoping that would happen, but now, there's a good chance that this could actually, finally kill his career. The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable and Signs are three of my favourite and best-directed films EVER, the last is HUGELY influential in me wanting to make films. I can't believe that guy may now never direct a big film again. :(

Yeah that's the other thing that really bums me out in this whole mess. I hate always having to defend his talents, cause he is an extremely talented guy who was able to tell all the stories he wanted to whether the rest of the world like his stories or not, he told them so well it didn't really matter. I hope he sticks around, I'm thinking the best place for him next is working underneath another director as the director of photography or just focus on the cinematography until the right project comes along. In fact I'd love to see him join JJ Abrams team on they're cloverfield-like projects. The guy damn talentd but he needs oversight.

Saw the movie and I thought it was decent at best. It's not horrible, but I agree that it's not great either. The problem with it is that it's rushed, starting right from the beginning. The pronouncing of the names got annoying when I kept correcting them myself.... every time. I just see it as a.... bad guilty pleasure movie. 2.5/5 from me.

How are they pronouncing them?

i don't what even

ay-vatar?

Maybe they thought people would confuse it with James Cameron's movie?

Shyamalan is a lunatic.

I don't understand how they can possibly mispronounce the names.

i've been wondering that myself,

Got a chance to watch this, this movie had almost a 200 million dollar budget, what did they spend it on? it wasn't just a bad movie, or a crappy movie, it was a movie without any flow and understanding. it would have been wonderful for them to explain what type of land they were in, and what the "rules" of the land are. (the way bending works) But you get nothing. im not asking the science of bending, just some little intro. sorta like: Hi, there are 4 main nations______blah____, which each use ____blah____ element, to ____blah____. in this land there are ____blah___ types of animals (over shot of strange animals).

4.3/10 (the music gave it a 1.0 jump)

things that were bad
1) no explanation on the animals, people, places...anything
2) straight camera angles, no back and forth for facial expressions, all you see is the back of the heads.
3) no variation of camera work. everything looked linear
4) the mass fight scenes didn't even look like fights, more like something out of a 60's movie with the exaggerated moves.
5) who were those people with him at the end of the movie? i thought they just hitched a ride to the water nation. no character relationship what-so-ever.
6)

the good
1) the only relationship established in the movie between uncle and the prince
2) the music score, it moved the movie along better than the acting.
3) the costumes looked authentic for the most part.
4)

for the names. i was able to find this:
According to M. Night Shyamalan, the "mispronunciation" of the names of some of the characters (Aang, Sokka, Avatar, etc) is due to the fact that he wished to 'honor the source material' and use the Asian pronunciation.

for the names. i was able to find this:
According to M. Night Shyamalan, the "mispronunciation" of the names of some of the characters (Aang, Sokka, Avatar, etc) is due to the fact that he wished to 'honor the source material' and use the Asian pronunciation.

That just makes the whitewashing worse!

It's ironic that for the names they wished to honor the source material by using the Asian pronunciation, but when it came to the character races they were based on, that wasn't. :lol:

I found the quote.

My mild disinterest in Shyamalan has grown into an intense hatred.

I just... it doesn't make sense. "It's okay for people to hear Asian words but not to see Asian faces."

I think the studio was against having it be an all-Asian cast because then people would think it's a "foreign film" and the audience would shrink.

THE WIRE had a very small audience due to the fact it had almost no white people in it. The second season has tons of white people, and it got the most ratings.

Nontheless, if he's desperate to have people pronounce the words in Asian - why not have them speak Asian? It's really easy to nitpick this particular gripe.

I saw it last night. It was terrible.

The effects were underwhelming. the action was cheesy (except the 45 seconds of Aang fighting the fire-nomad army right before he made that huge wall of water). The story intrigued me at first and then went nowhere. The characterization was absent. The actors were terrible (Mr Aziz from Spider-Man 2 isn't a very compelling villain). The guy behind me spilled coke on me. And so on.

To be honest, I went into the theatre expecting mind-blowing special effects and a lack lustre story. If that's what it was, I would have been fine with it. I knew nothing about Avatar: The Last Airbender before last night, so i didn't really care if they ruined it. But after watching it I am sort of ticked off because the story seemed like it could have been cool if they had tried a little harder.

I saw it last night. It was terrible.

The effects were underwhelming. the action was cheesy (except the 45 seconds of Aang fighting the fire-nomad army right before he made that huge wall of water). The story intrigued me at first and then went nowhere. The characterization was absent. The actors were terrible (Mr Aziz from Spider-Man 2 isn't a very compelling villain). The guy behind me spilled coke on me. And so on.

To be honest, I went into the theatre expecting mind-blowing special effects and a lack lustre story. If that's what it was, I would have been fine with it. I knew nothing about Avatar: The Last Airbender before last night, so i didn't really care if they ruined it. But after watching it I am sort of ticked off because the story seemed like it could have been cool if they had tried a little harder.

Watch the cartoon, seriously its great.

Latest posts

Back