The Last Airbender movie (watch the cartoon instead)

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie

I'm getting to see it with a friend with her press pass. We're going to do a marathon of the TV show this weekend.

I'm worried that if the movie fails to perform, that it may kill the possibility of The Legend of Korra

Avatar is still pretty popular, and it looks like Korra may not involve the cast from the original series. I might be being optimistic, but I think the worst that could happen is Korra could get delayed. (I remember Batman: Subzero got this treatment after the Batman and Robin movie.)

Huh.

I saw the trailers and thought, "This is a bit too busy; there's too much going on and I can't really work out what's happening. A bit like Bay's TRANSFORMERS, it's also seems to be purely about special effects like AVATAR. (Which is kinda funny.) However, unlike those films, this actually looks original. The style and plot seems very paint-by-numbers, but the choices in how it looks seems new to me. Also, M Night Shyamalan is a terrible writer but a good cinematographer. Since the material isn't his, rather, he's filming someone else's (supposedly good, but I've not seen it) story that people love, it might turn out quite well. I'm curious to see it. I think I shall."

That's right. I was gonna see it.

Now I'm not. A movie this universally hated isn't worth my time. AVATAR had more love than this, and I thought it looked bloody awful. It seems that Shyamalan decided to write this damn movie, and he ballsed it up. I have heard that not only is every line exposition, but that there is an unending voice-over throughout the film, which tells you key events that happen off-screen.

I honestly don't think the special effects are bad. I think they're probably brilliant. But I suppose that people were so desperately bored and angry at the movie that the only thing they could do was watch the effects and because they weren't immersed, every single flaw was magnified. To put it another way; it's impossible that THE LAST AIRBENDER's special effects are worse than STAR WARS'. The difference is that in STAR WARS you're so immersed into the world you forget they're special effects, but it would seem you are so distanced by THE LAST AIRBENDER that all you can focus on is that they are indeed special effects and you look for the 'wires' as it were.

Anyway - I'm not bothering. I've not seen the TV show, so I don't care to see a crappy 120-minute recap of it.

Watch the cartoon instead!

Yeah, I'm just going to rewatch the series now. I think I'll avoid the movie, it has me really bummed out because it should be good all the pieces were in place for a good film. I may see it with extremely lowered expectations but otherwise. And I was just picturing how scene would play out in real life and honestly this should have been a spectacular movie. I'm just sad it isn't

What about the music in the film? Did they use any of the original score?

Anime is for retards, so I shall never watch the tv show.

its a show created and made by white people about an East Asian kid. unlike Anime, which is made my East Asians about white people.

edit: however, it is inspired by the Anime style. you know, like that one superhero that was inspired by that guy with the laser things, but it turned out the original guy was better cuz he could do that one thing, but then the other guy that was like that guy could do it better AND do that other thing, you know?

Last edited:

Oh come on Bass, open your horizons a bit, you sound like an old man who berates those darn teenagers for liking music that isn't from the 1970s. :D

This cartoon isn't anime in a pure sense, it was made in the West, so it doesn't fall into certain pitfalls that anime has, like bad pacing.

The cartoon did tell interesting tale, that the movie failed to tell. Certain plot holes in the movie don't exist in the cartoon series.

I wouldn't think it would be fair to say the Fanastic Four sucked just because their movies have been bad.

Last edited:

Harp on all you want, but it still sounds like a racist white-man's attempt at doing anime (which is makes it doubly-racist) about people who can play air guitar in the hopes of selling me toys. And in the movie, all the characters are white, which means their being asian never mattered else there'd be some kind of furor across the internet and their hasn't even been a peep.

Well, I say 'no' to that cartoon. I shall never watch it. NEVER. I don't watch cartoons because they're for kids.

Unless they came from the 1980s. Or early 1990s. Basically, any cartoon ranging from about 1980 to 1994 was pretty much perfect and real art. Not like the crap today which is awful like that BATMAN: THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD and that Pixar rubbish.

I do believe Bass is having a bit of a go at you guys.

Well, at least one good thing came out of this.

The comic prequel is really, really good.

Though that's mostly because it tried to be a prequel more to the TV show then the film, but still.

Latest posts

Back