The Last Airbender movie (watch the cartoon instead)

Re: Avatar: The Last Airbender Movie

I just find it hard to believe it can be as bad as people are saying. Because it should be obvious, but everything I heard and seen before these reviews seem like it was going to be good. That it would be a faithful adaptation.

I'm getting to see it with a friend with her press pass. We're going to do a marathon of the TV show this weekend.

I'm worried that if the movie fails to perform, that it may kill the possibility of The Legend of Korra

The Tomatometer has dipped back down to 7%.

Metacritic's rating is currently 21.

It also seems like the retro-fitted 3D was a bad idea. Again.

Last edited:

I just find it hard to believe it can be as bad as people are saying. Because it should be obvious, but everything I heard and seen before these reviews seem like it was going to be good. That it would be a faithful adaptation.

Well Spider-Man 3 wasn't really unfaithful to its source material it was just executed poorly, same case here.

The acting is bad, the special effects are bad and the script didn't do a good of explaining the story from the cartoon. Being faithful to the source material is just the first step, the second step is executing it well. You fail at either step and you get a crappy movie.

Well Spider-Man 3 wasn't really unfaithful to its source material it was just executed poorly, same case here.

The acting is bad, the special effects are bad and the script didn't do a good of explaining the story from the cartoon. Being faithful to the source material is just the first step, the second step is executing it well. You fail at either step and you get a crappy movie.

Yeah but I could tell Spider-man 3 was going to be pretty bad before hand (not peter dancing on the street bad, but still). I thought this may not be great, but not as unwatchable as many reviewers are making it out to be

It also seems like the retro-fitted 3D was a bad idea. Again.

It always is, it's just unnessecary. Though I don't think the studio's obsession with 3D should impact a review of the movie itself (not sure if that applies here)

Last edited by a moderator:

Yeah but I could tell Spider-man 3 was going to be pretty bad before hand (not peter dancing on the street bad, but still). I thought this may not be great, but not as unwatchable as many reviewers are making it out to be

I didn't think Spider-man 3 was going to be bad till I watched it and even its one of those times where I try to convince myself it was good movie, because I was looking forward to it and ultimately fail at it.

Plus I think the race bending put a lot of doubts in people's minds. Plus M. Knight hasn't had a good movie since Unbreakable.

Last edited:

Okay...

Saw it...

It's not super terrible, but it's not even remotely good. It's faithful in the big strokes, but in the details, it's not even close. The dialogue is pretty bad, and the acting is at times unbearable. The 3D makes everything muddy looking, it's like the life and energy got sucked out of the story. The pronunciations of the names kinda got irritating after a while, and how M Night changed how Firebending worked seemed a bit unnecessary. Not going to harp about the Racebending, as most everyone already knew my opinion.

Honestly, i give it a 1/5 stars

I'll be saving my $9.50 for Inception or Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World. Whichever I see first.

skotti-chan, how was Cliff Curtis as Fire Lord Ozai?

Last edited:

skotti-chan, how was Cliff Curtis as Fire Lord Ozai?

Felt, underutilized, and strangely restrained.

Now, as much as I'm going to ***** about the movie for a long time to come. I loved Shaun Toub as Uncle Iroh, granted, he's no Mako (but who is?), he was like the most lively person in the entire movie.

Felt, underutilized, and strangely restrained.

Now, as much as I'm going to ***** about the movie for a long time to come. I loved Shaun Toub as Uncle Iroh, granted, he's no Mako (but who is?), he was like the most lively person in the entire movie.

thankz, only reason i ask is because Cliff has been in the industry a LONG time, prolly just as long Shaun Toub.

Just came back from the midnight showing. And as soon as the end credits started rolling a man 4 rows in front of me let out a very loud, very long "BOOOOO!!!"

No one in the theater disagreed with him on that sentiment.

The movie is terribly rushed, trying to fit in a whole season's worth of plot points into under 2 hours was a HUGE mistake. The plot chugs along at a ridiculous breakneck pace allowing almost nothing in the way of characterization or character development. Katara, for instance, is barely explored at all in the whole film and is little more than a set-piece for the majority of the show. There are NO scenes showing Aang developing his friendships with Katara and Sokka that is so monumentally important to the plot of the series. They're just kind of with him throughout the movie and we're meant to understand that they're friends from their proximity to him. The acting is, for the most part, subpar, but I don't really blame the actors themselves because the dialogue they had to work with was so awful. Damn near every piece of dialogue in the whole movie is lifeless exposition ramming home each new plot point before quickly jumping to the next scene of the same. I will say that Shaun Toub and Aasif Mandvi acquitted themselves nicely as Iroh and Zhou respectively and made their scenes fairly bearable despite these handicaps. I'm not even going to get into the questionable pronunciations used throughout the movie because, in all honesty, it didn't bother me anywhere near as much as the misses in the plot, pacing, and dialogue.

I'm a huge fan of the cartoon and all this movie had to do to win me over was NOT be the worst thing I've seen this year. That said, if you're going to see one movie this weekend it should probably be Twilight.

I'm dead ****ing serious.

1/5

Last edited:

Epic.

How can you **** up so badly?

Well, regardless what critics say, I'd rather see how "bad" it is for myself, rather than relying on them.

I hope you give it 5 stars.

Latest posts

Back