The Music Thread : It's So Easy To Fly Through A Window

Well the big buildup to what song will be Christmas Number one in the UK is heating up. It will be decided Sunday.
Normally I couldn't give a rat's ass about it. Normally Simon Cowell floods the chart with his latest spawn of evil winner from the X-Factor (those that don't know - its like American Idol) and noone else gets a look in. This year has been different.

A Facebook group started a bit of a rebellion and has been working to get Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name to number one. Current results say Rage are still in the lead.

Two songs I have been addicted to lately:

DLZ by TV on the Radio

[YOUTUBE]4N31oFeinFY[/YOUTUBE]

Zero by the Yeah Yeah Yeahs

[YOUTUBE]DxZGYGojPeE[/YOUTUBE]

The Jimi Hendrix best of album my sister bought me for christmas awhile back has been jammed in my car stereo for a few weeks now.

It has been an excellent few weeks.

That is all.

A Facebook group started a bit of a rebellion and has been working to get Rage Against The Machine's Killing In The Name to number one. Current results say Rage are still in the lead.

Good idea but I would've preferred something different if you want to throw a wrench in the system. Macarena, Can't Touch This, or Ice Ice Baby would've been great.

It has just been announced in the last hour...

Rage Against the Machine are the UK Christmas Number One!
They beat out the X-factor winner by about 50,000 copies and won on downloaded sales alone, whereas X-Factor had the physical single as well.

I cannot wait for the Christmas hits album with Killing in the Name on....

Awesome. The first 3 or so songs off It's Blitz! are amazing and in constant rotation on my iPod.

I can't stop listening to that album.

Have you seen the excellent mashup of "Lisztomania" by Phoenix and various 80s teen movies?

Well some hipsters thought it was so cool they decided to ruin it forever!

[youtube]U1ywFh2AZLg[/youtube]

And not just in Brooklyn either!

[youtube]GCzr7P5gqSI[/youtube]

I was so inspired, I decided to make a tribute of my own:

[youtube]FVo6wzxY0F4[/youtube]

WE'RE IN THE PRIME OF OUR LIVES BRO

Last edited:
Me and E were talking about this on twitter...

lipsdarkside.jpg

The Flaming Lips covered all of Dark Side of the Moon, with Stardeath and White Dwarfs (Wayne Coyne's nephew's band), Henry Rollins and Peaches. I kinda really like it. It's up on itoonz or, anywhere, ill-egally.

You can listen to their face-rocking version of "Eclipse" here.

Last edited:
Me and E were talking about this on twitter...

lipsdarkside.jpg

The Flaming Lips covered all of Dark Side of the Moon, with Stardeath and White Dwarfs (Wayne Coyne's nephew's band), Henry Rollins and Peaches. I kinda really like it. It's up on itoonz or, anywhere, ill-egally.

You can listen to their face-rocking version of "Eclipse" here.

Silly me - I actually bought it on iTunes. I knew it was going to be exclusive there for a few days and then elsewhere - I am still of the frame of mind that iTunes exclusives can't be pirated. Oh well.

It was worth it. I really do like it, despite not really liking The Flaming Lips' more recent music (especially the last album).

I do not like what they did to Brain Damage though. It's way too soft - it doesn't have that "crazy" sound like the original. It's too....pensive? The original REALLY gives the feeling of a person who is completely lost in insanity and there's no turning back. This version sounds too reflective on it. Ruins the effect.

Has anyone else heard about the collaboration between DJ Danger Mouse and James Mercer of The Shins, Broken Bells? I'm really excited to hear what they come up with.

I've been listening to a lot of Mega Man inspired music lately.

[youtube]UUYSriP4lmM[/youtube]

[youtube]2lKrIH1nIoI[/youtube]

[youtube]EeYGiS_hZhU[/youtube]

[youtube]mBcDoZnN8ac[/youtube]

And this, possibly the best of the lot:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUEO9Mfmn4M

Anyone want to reccomend me some more original stuff, go ahead.

[video=youtube;FvtZLtdfPGY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FvtZLtdfPGY[/video]

[video=youtube;-RX1P8ZDZx8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RX1P8ZDZx8[/video]

This was my favorite new band of 2009 and they already have a second album coming out. I am unreasonably excited.

Latest posts

Back