The Music Thread : It's So Easy To Fly Through A Window

I'd probably go for the Corporate Rock Whores shirt.

As pointed on by moonie on Twitter - the new Yeah Yeah Yeahs album 'It's Blitz!' has leaked.

I am listening to it now. It is very disco-y.

I've only heard Fever to Tell and I wasn't all that impressed with it but I think the first song off of It's Blitz! sounds great.

I've only heard Fever to Tell and I wasn't all that impressed with it but I think the first song off of It's Blitz! sounds great.

I loved Fever To Tell - it's the only listenable "art rock" I've ever heard. The sound is similar but...different. I'm having a hard time differentiating how. Less guitars, definitely, but the style is still there. It's more like Fever to Tell than Show Your Bones, for sure (which I also loved). Show Your Bones was a lot more "mainstream" - It's Blitz! is not.

And yes, "Zero" is really good.

This seems really early for it to leak, but it looks legit. I'll listen to it in a bit.

Edit: WOW. I'm only less than half way through, and this is awesome. It might be their best work yet.

Last edited:
This seems really early for it to leak, but it looks legit. I'll listen to it in a bit.

Edit: WOW. I'm only less than half way through, and this is awesome. It might be their best work yet.

Agreed. I stayed up past 2 AM to listen to the whole thing and I also think it's their best album.

You know, I've tried to give Radiohead more of a shot lately because the more I see from them the more it seems like most of the things about them are right up my alley. Their experiments and general aesthetic are all things that appeal to me and contain a lot of what I look for in music. I think I really like a lot of their stuff, and they certainly seem to "get it" more than almost anyone working it music today.

But Thom Yorke's singing is just awful and I can't stand it so I don't enjoy listening to any of their stuff. He ruins their sound and so far I cannot figure out why he's the lead vocalist of the band.

So yeah, if anybody has any covers of their songs that are identical in every aspect but have somebody else singing, let me know.

I like Thom Yorke and I like Radiohead. I think John Mayer has done a couple of covers.

I've recently listened to Day & Age by The Killers, Konk by The Kooks and Only By The Night by Kings of Leon. All pretty boring and no songs really stood out though they'll probably grow on me the more I listen to them... hopefully.

Going to try out some more of The Doors, The Stooges, The Clash, The Smiths and others I'm probably forgetting now.

Agreed. I stayed up past 2 AM to listen to the whole thing and I also think it's their best album.
I agree about the best album comment, though I haven't given the other two as thorough of a listen. (I listened to It's Blitz! on the train, where it's a lot easier for me to pay attention to what I'm listening to usually.)
You know, I've tried to give Radiohead more of a shot lately because the more I see from them the more it seems like most of the things about them are right up my alley. Their experiments and general aesthetic are all things that appeal to me and contain a lot of what I look for in music. I think I really like a lot of their stuff, and they certainly seem to "get it" more than almost anyone working it music today.

But Thom Yorke's singing is just awful and I can't stand it so I don't enjoy listening to any of their stuff. He ruins their sound and so far I cannot figure out why he's the lead vocalist of the band.

So yeah, if anybody has any covers of their songs that are identical in every aspect but have somebody else singing, let me know.
I find not liking Thom Yorke's voice a more acceptable excuse for disliking Radiohead than thinking their gloomy, and I can understand why you'd feel that way about him.

I personally love his voice, but I understand that vocals can be a tricky thing for most people. Case in point, I once found a thread on Last.fm about vocalists who you dislike, and I was surprised at some people's choices, particularly Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian, whose voice is the farthest thing I could think of from annoying or offensive. Then I went back and listened to their earlier material and remembered how lispy and "twee" his voice was back then and I kind of understood. I'd just gotten so used to it that I didn't notice.

As for your request, I can't think of anything at the moment, besides the songs they've done where Thom's voice has been altered: Kid A and Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors (Coincidentally the only Radiohead song that I find really, really annoying.)

The Killers have written some of my absolute favourite songs of all time (All These Things That I've Done, When You Were Young, Read My Mind), but they just seem to be losing it. Awkward, embarassingly sappy lyrics(guess the main one I'm thinking of), brash sounds that are fun but ultimately superficial and last and hardest to pin down.... I don't know.... they used to typically sound kind of desperate but proud, which gave them a compelling and bittersweet sort of feel. Recently, what they come off as is like disgustingly false modestly. It feels a bit like they're trying to copy themselves but don't feel it any more, and a bit like acclaim has just gone to their heads. It's disappointing. I used to always look forward to randomly falling in love with some new Killers song.

I personally love his voice, but I understand that vocals can be a tricky thing for most people.

But what exactly, would you say you love about it?

Case in point, I once found a thread on Last.fm about vocalists who you dislike, and I was surprised at some people's choices, particularly Stuart Murdoch from Belle & Sebastian, whose voice is the farthest thing I could think of from annoying or offensive. Then I went back and listened to their earlier material and remembered how lispy and "twee" his voice was back then and I kind of understood. I'd just gotten so used to it that I didn't notice.

I can't imagine finding his voice offensive either, even early stuff, but I don't think it's strong enough. It wouldn't ruin their songs for me though and it at least fits their music very well, and I can't say that for Yorke.

What does ruin Belle and Sebastian songs for me is that the vast majority of them you could swear were intentially written for something like cell phone commercials. Any time I listen to one I half-expect some guy's voice to cut in at the end and say something like "Isn't life easier.... when things are just.... within your reach?"

As for your request, I can't think of anything at the moment, besides the songs they've done where Thom's voice has been altered: Kid A and Pulk/Pull Revolving Doors (Coincidentally the only Radiohead song that I find really, really annoying.)

Those are good but the songs themselves feel like they need more to them. Frustrating. They should Kid-A his voice on some of their other stuff.

I'm going to go imagine Bernard Sumner singing Weird Fishes.

The Killers have written some of my absolute favourite songs of all time (All These Things That I've Done, When You Were Young, Read My Mind), but they just seem to be losing it. Awkward, embarassingly sappy lyrics(guess the main one I'm thinking of), brash sounds that are fun but ultimately superficial and last and hardest to pin down.... I don't know.... they used to typically sound kind of desperate but proud, which gave them a compelling and bittersweet sort of feel. Recently, what they come off as is like disgustingly false modestly. It feels a bit like they're trying to copy themselves but don't feel it any more, and a bit like acclaim has just gone to their heads. It's disappointing. I used to always look forward to randomly falling in love with some new Killers song.

I'm inclined to agree. Some of their newer stuff seems to be trying too hard to just be the hip song of the week. Honestly, I think they're more now like they were back when they first became popular (with songs like 'Somebody Told Me' which really isn't that awe-inspiring).

The funny thing about The Killers is that they do have a fairly big back-catalogue at this point and I do find myself still randomly falling in love with their songs. Just the other day I discovered 'For Reasons Unknown' for the first time.

But yeah, 'All These Things That I've Done' is one of the greatest songs ever, along with 'Read My Mind' and 'Mr. Brightside'.

Probably my favourite line from a song, ever, is "When everything's lost, the battle is won, with all these things that I've done." Planet-Man's theory that the song is actually about Superman makes it even cooler.

Listened to The Very Best of the Smiths, both Kasabian albums, The Doors by The Doors, London Calling by The Clash and probably some others... also got the rest of the Franz Ferdinand library I was missing but haven't finished listening to it yet.

Might try The Verve and The Stone Roses tomorrow.

The Most Misunderstood Rock Songs Of All-Time

http://uk.music.ign.com/articles/957/957991p1.html

I thought this is pretty interesting

Surprised CCR's Fortunate Son wasn't on there, but it's basically for the exact same reason as the Boss's Born to Run

I expected the article to be pointing out various often wrongly sung lyrics

i.e.

Excuse me while I kiss this guy - Hendrix (proper lyrics "kiss the sky")

Let's move before they raise the ****ing rent - Free (proper lyrics "parking rent")

Finally listened to 'Kala' by M.I.A. and really liked it.

Also have been listening to Marnie Stern's 'This is It...' and I really enjoy it as well.

Girl power!

uhmmmmm

how is this not being talked about?

Ultra-rare Beatles leaked Revolution 1 (Take 20) live White Album recording ten and a half minutes long, watch it quick it has been being taken down left and right all over the place.

[youtube]udq2mR7fr0o[/youtube]

from everything I've read this is the real deal, apparently only two copies were ever made one went to Lennon, and the other stayed with the studio, it is suspected that Yoko has leaked this as a one-up attempt at Paul McCartney for his upcoming release of "Carnival of Light". Also apparently Lennon sang this version entirely laying on his back to sound different.

crazy

It's times like this I'm glad I have Audacity.

Latest posts

Back