The Music Thread : It's So Easy To Fly Through A Window

Does anyone know how Kings of Leon are?

I wonder this myself. I keep on music fairly closely (more so than comics) and thought it was odd that even though I hadn't heard any of their music they were landing a gig on SNL.

I downloaded their first three albums and nothing really stood out. There were a couple of good songs (mainly a few of their singles) but I found them quite dull.

They have pretty hair:

Kings_Of_Leon7214.jpg

Ever since I did that paper of filesharing, I have made sure to avoid Limewire, since getting sued by the RIAA doesn't sound like a lot of fun.
Explain why this is so.

If I understand what you're getting at correctly, then you're implying that Limewire is more risk prone in terms of file sharing than other forms of file sharing.

If that is what you're getting at, why?

If I understand what you're getting at correctly, then you're implying that Limewire is more risk prone in terms of file sharing than other forms of file sharing.

That was true at one point, but now they are monitoring torrent trackers as well. The movie industry is MUCH more active against torrent users, but the RIAA still watches them.

There are, however, other places to go.

Moonie mentioned the new N.A.S.A. album 'Spirit of Apollo' on Twitter yesterday and I obtained an advance copy thanks to my position in the media (read: downloaded) and I really like it. I like mashups when done right, and when you have Karen O and Ol' Dirty Bastard together on one track, that's pretty close.

Speaking of mashups, Beastie Boys are releasing a remastered version of one of the greatest albums of all time, 'Paul's Boutique', next week. CD, vinyl, and download (MP3 and FLAC). They have special packages on their website with t-shirts and other stuff. I will be picking it up on CD and vinyl, even though I already have it on CD because I have OCD or something.

Explain why this is so.

If that is what you're getting at, why?
It's not that Limewire is any riskier than most forms of file sharing, it's just that it's the only service that I've ever used before. I was just saying that I make sure I'm logged off of it at all times nowadays and would only use it as a last resort.

When I wrote my paper, I talked with some of the people in my class about it and most of them used Limewire all the time and were pretty horrified to hear that you can be tracked down and sued through it. I gave them a short tutorial on the free-music-discovering-powers of Le Google.
Moonie mentioned the new N.A.S.A. album 'Spirit of Apollo' on Twitter yesterday and I obtained an advance copy thanks to my position in the media (read: downloaded) and I really like it. I like mashups when done right, and when you have Karen O and Ol' Dirty Bastard together on one track, that's pretty close.
I'm excited to hear it. I found it through the charts of a Last.fm friend.
Speaking of mashups, Beastie Boys are releasing a remastered version of one of the greatest albums of all time, 'Paul's Boutique', next week. CD, vinyl, and download (MP3 and FLAC). They have special packages on their website with t-shirts and other stuff. I will be picking it up on CD and vinyl, even though I already have it on CD because I have OCD or something.
I'll definitely have to get the vinyl. It's one of the best hip-hop albums I've ever heard and (for obvious reasons) I'm glad to see that they're remastering it.

EDIT: ****, $50 for vinyl and a t-shirt (because I need the t-shirt). I need to stop spending money on stuff lately.

Last edited:
Mix Master Mike is hands down the greatest turntablist of all time.

[youtube]zW60AZBdkbI[/youtube]

and the scratches and tricks he's doing are about 10 years ahead of their time right there.

Last edited:
Mix Master Mike is hands down the greatest turntablist of all time.

[youtube]zW60AZBdkbI[/youtube]

and the scratches and tricks he's doing are about 10 years ahead of their time right there.

What kills me... he does this stuff COMPLETELY without a headphone feed. I've seen him do this on several occasions (been to 6 Beastie Boys shows in my life), it's like he can visually read the album, he knows where every sound and beat he needs is.

What kills me... he does this stuff COMPLETELY without a headphone feed. I've seen him do this on several occasions (been to 6 Beastie Boys shows in my life), it's like he can visually read the album, he knows where every sound and beat he needs is.

yeah he's the only one i know that does that and it's extremely hard without headphones. that and he has like 10 stickers in the center of the album for his breaks. most dj's i know or met usually have about 2 mayyybe 3 per record.

(been to 6 Beastie Boys shows in my life)

I'm totally jealous, although I would imagine it's a little too rowdy for my tastes.

it's like he can visually read the album, he knows where every sound and beat he needs is.

There are people who can "read" an album by examining the grooves. Weird ability.

I noticed this in my iTunes library recently:

Strokeit.jpg

The line-up for The 2009 Sasquatch Music Festival came out today:

Saturday, May 23th
Kings of Leon / Yeah Yeah Yeahs / The Decemberists / Animal Collective / Bon Iver / Devotchka / M. Ward / Doves / Sun Kil Moon / The Gaslight Anthem / King Khan & The Shrines / Ra Ra Riot / Shearwater / Passion Pit / Mt. St. Helens Vietnam Band / Vince Mira / Blind Pilot / Owl City / Arthur & Yu / Dent May & His Magnificent Ukulele / Death Vessel / Hockey

Sunday, May 24th
Jane's Addiction / Nine Inch Nails / TV On The Radio / Peter Bjorn and John / of Montreal / The Avett Brothers / Calexico / M83 / The Airborne Toxic Event / The Walkmen / The Wrens / St. Vincent / The Dodos / John Vanderslice / The Submarines / Viva Voce / The Builders And The Butchers / AA Bondy / Fences / Point Juncture, WA / Jon Benjamin

Monday, May 25th
Ben Harper and Relentless7 / Erykah Badu / Silversun Pickups / Fleet Foxes / Gogol Bordello / Santigold / Grizzly Bear / Explosions In The Sky / Girl Talk / Blitzen Trapper / The Knux / Monotonix / Bishop Allen / Black Moth Super Rainbow / Beach House / Mugison / The Dutchess And The Duke / School Of Seven Bells / Horse Feathers / The Pica Beats / Loch Lomond / BLK JKS

It's one of the biggest indie musc festivals in the states, at The Gorge in Washington. I'm super excited, but tickets are 150$ for the weekend. There goes most of my tax return.

Animal Collective / Bon Iver ... King Khan & The Shrines ... Passion Pit ... TV On The Radio / Peter Bjorn and John / of Montreal ... M83 ... The Walkmen ... Grizzly Bear ... Girl Talk ... Black Moth Super Rainbow / Beach House
^^YES^^

I am very jealous.

Though not so much about the $150.

As Perez Hilton puts it, 1996 is rolling over in it's grave: James Iha, former guitarist of [The Smashing Pumpkins and Hanson's Taylor Hanson have teamed up together with Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) and Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick) to form a new band, Tinted Windows.

Their debut album will be released sometime around spring, and play their first major show at SXSW in Austin this March.

As Perez Hilton puts it, 1996 is rolling over in it's grave: James Iha, former guitarist of [The Smashing Pumpkins and Hanson's Taylor Hanson have teamed up together with Adam Schlesinger (Fountains of Wayne) and Bun E. Carlos (Cheap Trick) to form a new band, Tinted Windows.

Their debut album will be released sometime around spring, and play their first major show at SXSW in Austin this March.

I will check this out. And not because I'm a huge Smashing Pumpkins fan (I would never buy another Zwan album if they reunited).

Latest posts

Back