The Next 25 Years Of Video Games

My problem with the pleasure thing is that constant contentment would absolutely kill the human race and devalue life. Life is about emotion and experience. Without sadness or anger or pain, there will be no point to anything.

Imagine your mother dying and not even being able to feel sad about it.

Imagine uploading your mother's brain patterns into the net and having her forever be in an electronic world. Imagine everyone being in that world.

Despite the first feeling of "Awesome I'll never die!" is the fact that humanity will stop evolving, stop changing, our bodies will be weaker than ever, even with advanced genetics viruses will adapt and our bodies won't.

So what happens to the e-people when the custodians die off to Killer Bird Flu 2088: The Reckoning (it's a culture completely on the net, everything has hype online...and a trailer "This is the world of tomorrow when Killer Bird Flu 2088: The Reckoning....")?

You'll have a culture die out due to a power failure, and our legacy will be abandoned machines.

Unless machines do all the upkeeping, and then when everyone dies from Killer Bird Flue 2088: The Reckoning (or KBF88, since everything also has acronyms online) the computers will say..."Well let's clear up some of RAM and delete these misplaced ****ers" and then do whatever machines do.

Robot sex, quite possibly the most erotic thing you'll ever see...so many sex organs created only for pleasure, since who reproduces in the future?

Of course, some of what I've said is a joke, but there's some bit of truth in it.

I'm pretty pro-technology, but I want humanity to stay human and I don't want technology to take over our lives.

If it comes to that...

I'm goin' Ted Kazinski.

I'm pretty pro-technology, but I want humanity to stay human and I don't want technology to take over our lives.

If it comes to that...

I'm goin' Ted Kazinski.

I'd like to think that a great many people would form their own anti-tech culture while others go head long into it. Maybe ending up creating two different races...which is never good since humanity can't accept new things...there would be a war....

Damn, why is it I can't ever have optimism for the future?

I'd like to think that a great many people would form their own anti-tech culture while others go head long into it. Maybe ending up creating two different races...which is never good since humanity can't accept new things...there would be a war....

Damn, why is it I can't ever have optimism for the future?
Pay no attention to the Luddites.

Especially since they all own iPods.

And vibrators.

How did the discussion evolve into this?

The article was boring, and uninformative. I new most of that stuff out there already.

The discussion concerning pleasure however is much more interesting than the article. Pleasure is the flip side of pain, experience either too much, and it hurts.

The discussion concerning pleasure however is much more interesting than the article. Pleasure is the flip side of pain, experience either too much, and it hurts.
Let it also be said that when you experience too much pain... it becomes pleasure. :D

I remember reading things like this ten years ago, I doubt we'll actually see the day this stuff around, what with the apocalypse and all.

I remember reading things like this ten years ago, I doubt we'll actually see the day this stuff around, what with the apocalypse and all.
You realize that only gamers will survive the apocalypse. We're the only ones prepared to take on every single god forsaken virus-infected zombie, irradiated super mutant and anthropomorphic kill bot the future can throw at us.

You know, in the 50's they said we all be living on the moon by 2000. WTF?

Last edited:
You know, in the 50's they said we all be living on the moon by 2000. WTF?
Who says we're not on the moon right now, hooked up to highly sophisticated computer systems from birth to keep us from going insane with The Moon Madness Disease?

You realize that only gamers will survive the apocalypse. We're the only ones prepared to take on every single god forsaken virus-infected zombie, irradiated super mutant and anthropomorphic kill bot the future can throw at us.
I told you to DUCK when we reach the wheelbarrell, dude!

I really liked it. It's a cool extrapolation of unchecked computer-evolution. Like Kant's categorical imperatives. 'Twas funny and what not.

Also, for those who are scared - understand that humanity doesn't have access to the kind of power sources that would be necessary to create an all encompassing virtual world. It would be too expensive and too energy-consuming to be widespread. They say as much in one of the pages, so chill - intellectual exercise like this can be fun. ^__^

Best. Movie. Ever.

That's what I thought. A group of about ten different gamers, and they need to work together to survive through every imaginable disaster.

But what they didn't expect to find... was love.

Latest posts

Back