The nit-pickiest thread that ever picked nits.

Why not? Sure, its weak, and we all know Bendis intended originally for it to be meant as the Eddie we all know and probably dislike, but the idea there isn't another Eddie Brock in all of NYC is pretty weak as well.
You are correct. I would never deny that.

It's just lazy and annoying for Bendis to keep trying to be cute by making geeky references to obscure characters or name things after comic book creators (most notably in Powers) but it's annoying because it strains the ability to suspend enough disbelief to enjoy a story on its own terms.

Making references was perhaps 'cute' in the early issues of USM, but now it's just glaring when he starts to actually use those characters later. Similarly, I don't like how trying to really get involved in the 'seriousness' and 'grittiness' of Powers can get shattered by an officer walking in named after one of Bendis' friends.

Lil Brother said:
Demogoblin's lack of breasts is what concerns me the most...

Actually, the fact that the crouch is covered there is more concerning. Have we ever gotten a direct shot of Green Goblin's or Hobgoblin's man areas? Do they just lose their manhood or are they kept?
Humanity is doomed the moment a guy gets a tattoo of MJGoblin on his back and appears in the "Bendis controls minds' thread.

Lil Brother said:
I'm going to go flip through back issues now.
Is MJGoblin that much better than a skinrag? :twisted:

Would I get banned if I say i think MJ Goblin looks kinda cool and I want to read it as it seems like a cool new idea?

if yes I'll be quiet

Okay, I was reading Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 2 today (because I needed to get a Marvel comic in before midnight, was running out of time, and it seemed like the shortest option) and I came across a line that has always bugged me and I really can't explain (though maybe not as bad as "Lucy with the football" WTF was that?).

Peter is sitting across from Ben Urich as Ben reads the paper, the cover story of which is about UMTU1 and the Wolverine/Sabretooth fight. Peter says "Is that paper from yesterday or two months ago?"

Why would he ask that? Why would he think it might be from two months ago? No Ultimate timeline in creation would place this issue two months after Peter became Spider-Man.

Am I completely missing something here?

Okay, I was reading Ultimate Marvel Team-Up 2 today (because I needed to get a Marvel comic in before midnight, was running out of time, and it seemed like the shortest option)

You're obsessive compulsive, aren't you?

I think the "joke" is based on the front page of the paper he's reading. Peter is implying that there are so many "Spider-Man: Menace" headlines in the Daily Bugle that he can't tell when the paper is from.

Definitely could have been done better.

You're obsessive compulsive, aren't you?

Yes.

I think the "joke" is based on the front page of the paper he's reading. Peter is implying that there are so many "Spider-Man: Menace" headlines in the Daily Bugle that he can't tell when the paper is from.

Definitely could have been done better.

I guess that could be. Still doesn't make too much sense. The issue takes place between USM 7 and 8, how many Spider-Man: Menace headlines could there have been?

I guess that could be. Still doesn't make too much sense. The issue takes place between USM 7 and 8, how many Spider-Man: Menace headlines could there have been?

Also (and I'd have to go back to see) - has two months passed between USM #1 and #7/8 at that point?

Yeah, everything is so ****ed up... there's no way Peter can be "always 15." I mean seriously, the way Bendis writes these stories, Peter should probably be a Junior in High School by now.

Yeah, everything is so ****ed up... there's no way Peter can be "always 15." I mean seriously, the way Bendis writes these stories, Peter should probably be a Junior in High School by now.

yes but in the 616 universe he should be at least 59 years old.

How i came to that conclusion is first comic was in August 1962. 2006 (not 2007 as its on January and would guess thats not his birthday) - 1962 = 44 + if had to guess I would say he was 15 when he started out in 616 that makes 59 years old.

Now he may of aged but I don't think he is a 59 year old man. So the age thing (even if it annoys me too) happens.

on side note superman should be 86 years old and this is saying he was only 18 in first comic :lol: dam these old guys can still kick ***

AFAIK, Bendis stated that his rule for aging Peter is that "100 issues = 1 year".

Which is completely retarded as before he made that statement, Bendis kept changing Peter's age from 15 to 16 to 15 back again, nevermind the fact that this would completely screw with continuity that ties Peter with The Ultimates and The Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men.

AFAIK, Bendis stated that his rule for aging Peter is that "100 issues = 1 year".

Which is completely retarded as before he made that statement, Bendis kept changing Peter's age from 15 to 16 to 15 back again, nevermind the fact that this would completely screw with continuity that ties Peter with The Ultimates and The Ultimate Fantastic Four and Ultimate X-Men.

When did Bendis say he was 16? But yeah the 100 issues= one year thing is too flawed for the UU

I can live with him being only a year older because DiB's timeline says that somewhere between twelve months and twenty-three months has passed (the beginning is the first thing under 2003 and the saga is near the bottom of 2004), and I think that timeline is more canon than anything Bendis has ever put on paper, so Peter could've just turned fifteen when the series started and be well into sixteen now.

Also, does anyone else think Spider-Man shouldn't have been in Ultimate Power? It just messes up the timeline more and it doesn't really fit in with the feel of his book. If he weren't marketing gold, he wouldn't be within a mile of that event.

I can live with him being only a year older because DiB's timeline says that somewhere between twelve months and twenty-three months has passed (the beginning is the first thing under 2003 and the saga is near the bottom of 2004), and I think that timeline is more canon than anything Bendis has ever put on paper, so Peter could've just turned fifteen when the series started and be well into sixteen now.
Oh, I don't disagree that this rule of aging is internally consistent. It's just not consistent with anything else that doesn't exist inside the Ultimate Spider-Man book proper.

To be fair, I can't completely blame Bendis for timeline related issues. Remember that Ellis' Ultimate Galactus saga and Hitlar's Ultimates work moved a lot slower than they should have. As such, it becomes really difficult to place interactions with the Ultimates into a proper timeline.

Have you never seen/read Peanuts? :0

Yeah, I absolutely loathe Charlie Brown with every fiber of my being and I got it. See, Lucy always jerks the football away from Charlie because she's a *****, and Charlie always falls for it because he's a stupid *****. The X-men were being dumbasses because they believed Deadpool's shapeshifting device again, and he's saying he fooled them even though they should've known. He's basically saying they're as stupid and *****-ish as Charlie Brown.

Latest posts

Back