The Post-Flashpoint DC Comics Reboot

Re: DC Nation

I'm excited for the Geoff Johns/Jim Lee JLA but worried about everything else.

I'm excited for the Geoff Johns/Jim Lee JLA but worried about everything else.

I'm still excited for Batwoman... since they delayed her #1 until this reboot.

I want to get excited about Johns/Lee on JL, but we all know that with Lee doing art, we'll see about 4 issues a year.

Lord knows why, but I'm keeping with Crisis on Infinite Earths. The Supergirl and Flash deaths were pretty anticlimactic and it seems like more care was taken into shoving EVERY DC CHARACTER EVAR into the story than was into moving the plot along. I'm about 7 issues in and I feel like what I've read could have been effectively condensed into 3 or 4.

i read it a few years ago...it's soooo boring. But after reading it i understood the DCU and Infinite Crisis so much better.

Aw yeah!

The one thing that really surprises me about this whole thing is the Superman design. He just looks so much younger.

I think, at least as interesting as the reboot itself, is the announcement of day to date digital releases. I don't buy floppies anymore because, well, flimsy little books littered with hot dog and toy ads aren't worth the exorbitant price for me. Online books at a reasonable price could be a pretty serious impetus for me to start buying single issues again, instead of trades. With the right price point and marketing, this initiative could pretty well prove that the direct trade market is just no longer practical. At all.

Last edited:

I'm counting continuity rewrites like Infinite Crisis and Zero Hour, where some reality shaking event changes things to suit writer's current needs. Which this sounds like it will be the same thing. And I have a feeling that not too long after this it will happen again. I feel like DC is making reality change with never just be left alone.

Sooooooo, no All Star Batgirl then?

Last edited:

I think, at least as interesting as the reboot itself, is the announcement of day to date digital releases. I don't buy floppies anymore because, well, flimsy little books littered with hot dog and toy ads aren't worth the exorbitant price for me. Online books at a reasonable price could be a pretty serious impetus for me to start buying single issues again, instead of trades. With the right price point and marketing, this initiative could pretty well prove that the direct trade market is just no longer practical. At all.

I've purchased more digital comics in the last 2 years or so than printed singles, by far. So this is a cool concept, however, the high price point of new digital comics means I'll just continue to download them and purchase hardcovers of stuff I like.

I've purchased more digital comics in the last 2 years or so than printed singles, by far. So this is a cool concept, however, the high price point of new digital comics means I'll just continue to download them and purchase hardcovers of stuff I like.

See, this is the problem I've had not just with the digitization of comics but with video games and films as well. I wouldn't be adverse to paying for downloads of either, but the pricing is usually, at best, standard retail, so it seems stupid to buy a digital copy of something I can get cheaper on sale at a real store and have a hard copy.

Comics are a little different, in that they're more disposable than DVD's. They're fragile and stuffed with ugly ads and unwieldy to organize.

Still, I do the exact same thing you do (but with paperback trades more than hardcovers) and I'll likely continue to do that until digital pricing drops to something reasonable. I think DC has the potential to open up to a wider market than the current insular fanboys, but they're going to have to adhere to some reasonable pricing first. This stunt would be the perfect opportunity to set a lower price threshold. I guess we'll see what they do.

See, this is the problem I've had not just with the digitization of comics but with video games and films as well. I wouldn't be adverse to paying for downloads of either, but the pricing is usually, at best, standard retail, so it seems stupid to buy a digital copy of something I can get cheaper on sale at a real store and have a hard copy.

Comics are a little different, in that they're more disposable than DVD's. They're fragile and stuffed with ugly ads and unwieldy to organize.

Still, I do the exact same thing you do (but with paperback trades more than hardcovers) and I'll likely continue to do that until digital pricing drops to something reasonable. I think DC has the potential to open up to a wider market than the current insular fanboys, but they're going to have to adhere to some reasonable pricing first. This stunt would be the perfect opportunity to set a lower price threshold. I guess we'll see what they do.

I totally agree, and I will be crossing my fingers that they do something a little more reasonable as far as pricing goes. I rarely buy anything that isn't on sale for 99 cents, and I really hate what Marvel has done with supersized issues - splitting them up into two issues and charging "full" price for each. They did this with Ultimates #13 and a couple of miniseries.

There seems to be a lot of talk going on about what is getting rebooted in this whole thing versus just new #1s. This was on Bleeding Cool:

Well, it looks like there will be a new Batgirl #1 amongst the 52 relaunched books in September.

What will be different this time is that the book will star Barbara Gordon as Batgirl.

Currently taking the role of Oracle, Barbara Gordon lost the use of her legs in Killing Joke, but became the Birds Of Prey's eye in the sky, and was handled defly in that title. There had been some possibility that control over her lower body may be slowly returning.

But who needs to go through several years of physical therapy, when you can get a relaunch! With a rejuvenated Barbara Gordon back in the Batgirl identity with a flick of a switch!

Oh and yes, there's also a Nightwing #1. That's all I know about that one.

I will be so, so disappointed if Dick and Damian are out as Batman and Robin. But some people are talking about a return to Bruce/Dick as Batman & Robin, so that might be kind of cool. But Damian is one of my favorite new characters in years - I don't want to see him written off.

If I remember correctly, there was no Action Comics after Crisis for the first couple years. The main Superman book was Superman: Man of Steel. I'll do some research to see if they did a reboot, then later renumber (akin to Avengers, Wonder Woman, etc.) or if they just took a break and came back with the regular numbering.

Huh, I remembered wrong, Action was completely uneffected by Crisis. It seemed to have told a lot of Silver Age style stories, well into 1991.

Didn't it become Action Comics Weekly around that time?

So yeah, I'm flabberghasted by this. Why have they been so god damned gung ho about returning everyone to thier silver age versions if they're hitting reset? And god help them if Kyler Rayner and Guy Gardner aren't promeniently featured in a book. Preferably together.

As for My Legion comics, we're used to this ****.

I haven't been following it, but won't this blow away several years of earthshattering Batman stuff? The Death and Return of Bruce Wayne, Batman Inc, etc.? Are fans not going to go into mass exodus over this?

Heres the thing with Batman. People just buy it. They just like reading Batman. The people that came on board with Morrisons run weren't going to stay with Batman after he left, and all the rest don't give a crap. They just like Batman.

They said the major titles - Morrison's Batman, Johns' Green Lantern etc. - will still have happened and will still continue.

Latest posts

Back