The Post-Flashpoint DC Comics Reboot

I agree, but it's sort of like slapping a band-aid on a gaping wound. And DC is trying that, to a degree. Justice League is launching at 3.99 for print or digital or 4.99 for both. Clearly it's a step in the right direction, but it strikes me as a little backwards. I think the ideal pricing would be to include a digital code in all the print issues, and lower the price for digital by itself. 3.99 for print and digital or 2.99 for digital alone. It's a tact that the music collector's industry is already taken. A lot of new vinyls are being released come with digital codes.

And on that note, I think the music industry is a pretty good analogy for how things are going to have to change. Comic shops don't have to die, but they do have to change, and I think they'll have to change in a way the music industry has in the past few years. When music downloads first came about, there was gloom and doom about the death of the record shop, but that didn't happen. Instead, we saw the rise of parallel markets. iTunes and similar online markets provide cheap and convenient music for the casual market. But at the same time, we've seen the reemergence of vinyl. There's a parallel market for audiophiles to buy product that offers them aural fidelity, tangible product, and status. Music stores sell music, while record stores sell a lifestyle and social outlet. It's a collector's market that isn't predicated on the same sort of dangerous speculation that we associate with the comic collector booms. They're similar markets, really. The print industry may have to start looking at new formats for the direct market: glossier and larger format books, extras not included in the digital versions, etc. (in the same way vinyl does), but ultimately it's going to come back to selling the experience of the shop. Shops that foster community will retain customers. Those that don't, won't.

I collect records, but I no longer collect comics, and it's entirely because of format. Floppy comics, as they're printed now, offer me nothing I want.

Yes. yes. yes. I could not agree more. (Also, I love collecting vinyl, and I've long stopped getting individual comics, instead getting HC trades)

This is the best discussion I have seen in awhile. If they do go digital, I agree including the download with the physical copy. I don't like only digital media. One of my favorite things in collecting in having the tangible items. Be it comics, movies, or tv shows.

Sure I download stuff to see if I like it, because I really don't want to spend lots of money on something I might hate. Music is the only thing I don't usually buy physical copies of cause I get sooo much, that I could never afford it all. I think comics are the same for me. I read so much just to understand what happens elsewhere sometimes, I don't want to be expected to pay for a better understanding, if that makes sense.

Will this make me stop downloading comics? Probably not but it has me considering it.

Last edited:
And Dick is no longer Batman.

Boo.

Scruffy_Futurama.jpg

Looks like Nightwing is going to be wearing a costume similar to the Robin costume from Batman & Robin from now on. I've always liked this design. I think he may have actually worn it before that film. Shame they didn't decide to finally give him a cape, although that may have made him look too much like Red Robin.

ntw_cv1.jpg

Last edited:
I would imagine Morrison will stay on Batman Inc. but I wonder if they will reboot that...

It wouldn't be a huge deal if they did, I'd imagine. He was talking about it in terms of television seasons, so a volume two for "season two" would make sense. IGN has straight up said Morrison will be involved in the relaunch though, so I wouldn't worry, Proj.

So... It looks like the Batman line will be....

Batman (Snyder/Capulo)
Detective (Daniel)
Batman and Robin (Tomasi/Gleason)
The Dark Knight (Finch)
Nightwing (Higgins)
Batgirl (Simone)
Jason Todd and the Outlaws (Lobdell)
Catwoman (Winick/March)
Birds of Prey (Swierkzwhatever)
Batwoman (Williams!)
and hypothetically some continuation of Batman Inc. with Morrison

Soo...... Eleven books, and four worth getting? Maybe five?

That seems a little excessive, right?

Last edited:
Dick no longer batman , Barbara is Batgirl = :D I like that. I know not everyone does and I'm sorry for those that don't but I approve.

They couldn't have made a better costume than that?
So now Barbara Gordon is back as Batgirl.
I don't like that at all. Barbara is a million times more interesting and useful as Oracle. I'm also pissed they're just continuity rewriting her paralysis, I would have loved having a long term progression of her recovery, from a new surgery, to rehap, to first time running it could have been and amazing story to tell. But no, going the completely cheap route with no meaning to it.
Not at all happy with this one. Though to be honest, the only way everyone would be happy is if DC did a book where Barbara, Cass, and Steph all shared the role of Batgirl.

I actually like this idea, having them be the new Birds of Prey. Barbara as Oracle, Cass and Batgirl, and Steph as Spoiler (with a much better costume).

So far I'll be reading:
Aquaman
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League International
Nightwing (folks who like the current run on Detective and/or Gates of Gotham should check this one out)

And I'll be grabbing the first issues of the following, to continue depending on quality:
Batgirl
Red Hood and the Outlaws (What can I say? The art looks purdy. A bad preview will turn me off, though)
Wonder Woman

So far I'll be reading:
Aquaman
Batman
Batman & Robin
Batwoman
Green Lantern
Justice League
Justice League International
Nightwing (folks who like the current run on Detective and/or Gates of Gotham should check this one out)

And I'll be grabbing the first issues of the following, to continue depending on quality:
Batgirl
Red Hood and the Outlaws (What can I say? The art looks purdy. A bad preview will turn me off, though)
Wonder Woman

So far I'm just reading the Green Lantern books. I expect with 52 options I'll try more than just that though. Some of the DCU main line would be nice as a preview instead of thier tentpoles. I mean thats what will make or break the success of the relaunch. Like I said earlier, people are gonna buy Batman and right now Green Lantern is in the same boat.

Last edited:
Not familiar with Jeff Lemire (should I be) and don't care anything for Animal Man, but I am all over that Frankenstein series.

IN THE FORM OF DUNG!

Also, I'm not at all onboard with the idea of Bruce as Batman with his actual son as Robin, in Gotham while at the same time travelling all over the world to set up new Batmen. It just sounds hokey.

Latest posts

Back