The Smoking Thread

whyso?

:?
Nothing fruitful comes out of smoking. Yeah, I'm the guy who started "the drinking thread" but after the fact I did good by creating "the social thread" realizing that a "drinking thread" is immature and obnoxious. But this doesn't seem like something good for the site and doesn't seem like a product of yours either.

well then here... to clarify my purposes on creating this thread:

I just started smoking in the past few weeks, being in college where one picks up many of these bad habits. I have come to the conclusion that despite knowing the negative side affects, it calms me and focuses my mind, which is helping a whole hell of a lot in my getting work done. It also acts as a hunger suppressant, which is a plus as an overweight gay 18 year old with image problems.

Despite all these feelings, I am wrought with insecurity about my smoking and since this message board is a relatively important part of my life, and because the anonymity of it means that anybody railing against me could be mostly ignored, led to my deciding that, "hey, I can get some assurance from people on Ultimate Central that its my personal choice."

With that exposition I hope you see that this wasn't just a frivolity thing, I just needed some assurance that i'm not just making a ****ty, selfish decision thats going to destroy relationships...

I'm just trying to justify myself, and I figured by starting a conversation with other smokers who share my interests I might be able to get some perspective. I thought that by starting a thread out a little more plainly rather than by going all out with my reservations and fears would open up to more dialogue about the subject.

And yes, it -is- appropriate to start a new thread about this subject, because people have very strong conflicting oppinions about smoking, and I'm not looking to just have this conversation glossed over in the social thread.

You are entitled to your oppinion, and I am entitled to mine.

Nothing fruitful comes out of smoking. Yeah, I'm the guy who started "the drinking thread" but after the fact I did good by creating "the social thread" realizing that a "drinking thread" is immature and obnoxious. But this doesn't seem like something good for the site and doesn't seem like a product of yours either.
That's a little harsh. I started a coffee thread. It wasn't to really "contribute" to the site. It was just to get a better idea about who the other members are. I think this thread is really the same kind of thing.

I don't mean to be harsh. I have nothing but love for the Doc... in a man/man sort've way... er... you know what I mean. We both love comic books passionately.

Anyway... to Doc, it's all right. I'm not saying you're wrong for doing it. I just didn't take you for the smoking type. Of course for as long as I've known you so far, you weren't so I guess I was right.

However, I'll leave with this. My brother who has Cystic Fibrosis and was scared to drink for the better part of 22 years of his life decided to occasionally drink. While it doesn't kill him, a lot of close friends/family think it's extremely stupid. I think it's stupid for another reason:

How does someone just pick up a habit after so long. It's not like "peer pressure" is harder in college than it is when you're in high school looking for a place to fit in when there are only certain cliques you can choose from (college has a place for everyone) and people you are extremely familiar with are doing the pressuring.

well then here... to clarify my purposes on creating this thread:

I just started smoking in the past few weeks, being in college where one picks up many of these bad habits. I have come to the conclusion that despite knowing the negative side affects, it calms me and focuses my mind, which is helping a whole hell of a lot in my getting work done. It also acts as a hunger suppressant, which is a plus as an overweight gay 18 year old with image problems.

that hunger thing only last for a little while. after a while you learn to tell the difference between a craving for food and a craving for a smoke.

and if you want something to help focus the mind, try learning some of the chi arts of breathing. it helps put you in a more grounded environment. along with the same thing you do when smoking.

cuz when you smoke, (at least for me). your taking in deep breath of nicotine and you hold it for a little bit and then you exhale. and you repeat this until the stick is out. the whole power of breathing to relax the mind is just an out of this world thing that if done the right way is just magnificent. This also gets a little bit more oxygen going into blood stream and to the brain.

Doc, one thing I would say is, If you're going to quit, quit early. It's harder and harder to justify to yourself that you shouldn't be smoking the longer you do it. You also find yourself in a culture of smoking before you know it and that is very hard to break away from. It's very similar to alcoholism. Alcoholics find themselves in a life style that surrounds drinking. It's just as hard to break free of the life style as it is the drink.

As for loosing weight, I was an overweight teen too. Now I'm not exactly lean, but I'm in relatively good shape, and it has made all the difference in my college life. I lost the first thirty pound or so by a combination of growing taller and diet change that happened over the course of three months.

I know it's hard to loose weight, and the prospect of failing is terrifying, but if you put the effort in, you can totally remake your body in six months. By doing some kind of physical activity on a daily basis and changing your diet, you definitely see major results in a few months. The major problem with using cigarettes to help you lose weight is that it's got a decent shot of helping, but you'll never be able to stop because you will gain the weight back. Gaining weight will just become one more reason why you don't quit.

I smoke pipe tobacco (Peterson tobaccos are my favorite, but I try to taste different things). I only smoke when Im completely alone though (Im embarrased about it), so I dont do it very often.

Other than that, I put American Spirit tobacco in my spli...Er, thats a different kind of smoking.

Prude.

I smoke.

Sausages.[/MOONEY'S HOMOEROTIC STATEMENT OF THE DAY]

But seriously, I think I may end up becoming a smoker. Why? I think I have a genetic predisposition for it. My dad smokes, and I've noticed that I myself have very fidgety hands. I need to be doing something with my hands. There are several times when I've been standing around and thought "If I had a cigarette in my hand right now, I would have something to do. And I would look cool.". It's awful. I don't want to smoke, but I can totally see myself picking it up.

I also believe I have a predisposition for alcohol. I don't drink much now, but I swear to god I'm going to be an alcoholic when I get older.

DAMN YOU, IRISH BLOOD!!!

I've got a question for all the smokers. How come if I give a smoker a ride and I ask them not to smoke in my car, they act like I just asked them to sit in the back of the bus? Seriously, they give me this look that says, "Where do you get off telling me I can't smoke in your car?"

My favorite line had to a smoker had to be when I was sitting around at school *****ing about **** with some friends. This one girl, who I knew smoked, said "There should be an idiot tax." I responded, "There already is. It's called the Tobacco tax." She spun around and smacked me with a text book. Meanwhile, everyone else started busting out laughing.

My favorite line had to a smoker had to be when I was sitting around at school *****ing about **** with some friends. This one girl, who I knew smoked, said "There should be an idiot tax." I responded, "There already is. It's called the Tobacco tax." She spun around and smacked me with a text book. Meanwhile, everyone else started busting out laughing.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've got a question for all the smokers. How come if I give a smoker a ride and I ask them not to smoke in my car, they act like I just asked them to sit in the back of the bus? Seriously, they give me this look that says, "Where do you get off telling me I can't smoke in your car?"

oh your one of those :noway:

I've had to come to terms with smoking; I've really attempted to find a pleasent gray area with my oppinions. Most of my family smokes, at least everyone on my dad's side, my older brother and sister both smoke as well. They're good people [it's not like smoking makes them evil people or anything ridicoulous]. Very much like every one of us has, smoking is merely a habit that is dangerous if obbessed over. Eating, smoking, drinking, gambling are all fun or coping activities. We just need to realize when we reach into the obsessive range.

I myself don't smoke so maybe I don't have right to judge but I'm come to grips with smoking as purely a coping skill, very much like my comic reading or eating. What I do detest is getting too much smoke inhaled. It's sounds awful and conceited but I do try to avoid smoke as much as possible [either by asking or leaving] but it's primarily because I'm a singer and I beleive I need to keep my lungs in good condition; I've already had the misfortune of having a father who smoked profusely [as in he made air unbreathable sometimes].

What does irks me are attacks on the smoking public. Many propositions were issued this midterm that just notoroiusly attacked the smoking solely because their an easy target. The thing is they passed so my dad can't even smoke in a bowling alley now. It's rather stupid.

I've had to come to terms with smoking; I've really attempted to find a pleasent gray area with my oppinions. Most of my family smokes, at least everyone on my dad's side, my older brother and sister both smoke as well. They're good people [it's not like smoking makes them evil people or anything ridicoulous]. Very much like every one of us has, smoking is merely a habit that is dangerous if obbessed over. Eating, smoking, drinking, gambling are all fun or coping activities. We just need to realize when we reach into the obsessive range.

I myself don't smoke so maybe I don't have right to judge but I'm come to grips with smoking as purely a coping skill, very much like my comic reading or eating. What I do detest is getting too much smoke inhaled. It's sounds awful and conceited but I do try to avoid smoke as much as possible [either by asking or leaving] but it's primarily because I'm a singer and I beleive I need to keep my lungs in good condition; I've already had the misfortune of having a father who smoked profusely [as in he made air unbreathable sometimes].

What does irks me are attacks on the smoking public. Many propositions were issued this midterm that just notoroiusly attacked the smoking solely because their an easy target. The thing is they passed so my dad can't even smoke in a bowling alley now. It's rather stupid.
I wouldn't call smoking a skill. I think the word you're thinking of is activity.

EDIT: My sister's quit smoking because she's pregnant. That's some good smoking news.

Last edited:
Most smokers, myself included won't smoke in someone else's car unless they are told before hand that they can and no one I know has an attitude about it.

Last edited:
Most smokers, myself included won't smoke in someone else's car unless they are told before hand that they can and no one I know has an attitude about it.
To be fair, Californians as a whole are rather self-righteous to begin with.

Hunger suppressants don't equal a plus. It doesn't matter who you are, starving yourself thin is on about the same level of advice as "Get confident, stupid!". You want to get skinny? Bully for you; eat right and exercise. Thats how the body works. Starving yourself isn't a long term solution, and its barely even a short term solution.

And please don't anybody come in here and say suppressing your appetite - especially artificially - isn't starving yourself. Not eating everything that crosses your mind is self-restraint, deliberately supressing your appetite to get thin is starving yourself.

Latest posts

Back