The Smoking Thread

And you've missed my point entirely.

I don't give a flying **** whether or not you waste your money and ruin your lungs by smoking.

I've said it a dozen times here. The only reason I'm judging, looking down on, or disrespecting any smoker here is because second-hand smoke harms and kills innocent people.

And I know from experience.

It's horribly selfish of smokers to knowingly and willfully do that to people "because they're stressed out".

News Flash: EVERYONE IS STRESSED OUT.

And their are a whole lot of people way more stressed out than you who somehow haven't turned to smoking to relieve it, and have just toughed it out.

So I'll say it again, smarten up. Giving other people lung cancer and emphasema against their wishes is a choice you do
:? Have you actually been reading this thread? Several people have said that they're fine with smoking outside, away from others and they understand that it's just common courtesy. Saying that all smokers do is just go up to people and blow smoke in their faces is stereotyping, in case you haven't realised it.

And the only reason why people aren't taking you serious is because-to be perfectly honest-you sound a little brainwashed. Some of your posts read like the script from one of those anti-smoking videos they show you at school.

It reminds me of the way school programs manage to convince kids that all drugs are bad and that if you if even touch them, you're entire life is going to implode.

They neglect to inform kids that marijuana and other drugs have been responsible for some of the greatest literary and artistic works in history, or that Christianity and in fact most of the world's religions evolved out of the use of hallucenogenic mushrooms.

Your attitude towards tobacco just seems very...forced.
I only smoke with smokers or off by myself... I'm not breathing smoke in other people's faces.

We get that you dont like smoking, but that doesn't mean that every smoker is irresponsible and careless, despite your personal experiences.
See, P-M?
you wanna talk about second hand smoke, i'll lay it down here for you.

in this world there are three choices you always have. no matter what.

1) to just leave.

2) to fight

3) to stay put

and if im taking a smoke in a smoking area, you have the CHOICE to walk away and not be bothered by it. BUT if you CHOOSE to stay in an area where there is smoke. than that is YOUR choice. and don't give me that, i don't have a choice or my granny didn't have a choice. there is always a choice. if you don't take the action then its your fault. the choice is there. Even if someone has a gun to your head, there is still the choice to live or to die.

and if you think second hand smoke alone kills people, and you call yourself Planet-man...how much do you know about the toxins being pumped into the air everyday? or how many toxins a normal person breaths into there lungs? or how what type of 'safe' poison we eat and drink everyday?. or what is in that rain that just fell from the sky?

and if you say that you don't have the choice to the air you breath, then think again. you have the choice to fight it. to try and bring it to peoples attention to get laws lobbied for and the such. but if you choose to stay put and do nothing it is still your choice.

any questions?
*applause*
Side question, DSF, can I make a really bad gay/cigarette joke?
Hey, I already said that I smoke sausages.

1) to just leave.
2) to fight
3) to stay put

and if im taking a smoke in a smoking area, you have the CHOICE to walk away and not be bothered by it. BUT if you CHOOSE to stay in an area where there is smoke. than that is YOUR choice. and don't give me that, i don't have a choice or my granny didn't have a choice. there is always a choice. if you don't take the action then its your fault. the choice is there. Even if someone has a gun to your head, there is still the choice to live or to die.
The problem isn't smoking in smoking areas, its when people don't stay there, or when they decide that anywhere and everywhere is a smoking area. Your right to smoke is just as equal as non-smoker's rights to not have something they find disgusting blown into their face, or to be exposed to something that is generally agreed to be harmful. Should you be able to smoke? Of course, smoke as much as you like. Should everyone else have to put up with it? No. Saying that your right to smoke wherever you feel like it is more important than the rights of non-smokers to not smoke or be exposed to smoke whatever their reasons, is perhaps, a good way to invalidate your argument.

and if you think second hand smoke alone kills people, and you call yourself Planet-man...how much do you know about the toxins being pumped into the air everyday? or how many toxins a normal person breaths into there lungs? or how what type of 'safe' poison we eat and drink everyday?. or what is in that rain that just fell from the sky?
So rather than addressing the simplest and most prevalent one, we should...what, precisely? There are plenty of environmental problems. Hell, if you use a refrigerator, or aerosol cans, you're causing environmental problems. There's sort of a difference between equating a globalised problem with a globally occuring local one.

1) to just leave.

2) to fight

3) to stay put

and if you say that you don't have the choice to the air you breath, then think again. you have the choice to fight it. to try and bring it to peoples attention to get laws lobbied for and the such. but if you choose to stay put and do nothing it is still your choice.

any questions?

This is ridiculous. Are you seriously suggesting that public places are smoke filled by default and if we don't like that we shouldn't hang out in public places?

Public spaces are owned by the public, and should remain that way. Nobody should be excluded because they want to breathe clean air. Secondhand smoke is a classic example of an externality, and all PlanetMan is suggesting is making people accountable for their actions.

And to answer your "three options," I chose to fight. And smoking inside in Colorado is now illegal, thanks to that choice.

Any questions?

I don't suppose you voted on that, by any chance?

Yes I did. I voted for the smoking ban, I voted to legalize marijuana (except in public), and I voted to increase tobacco taxes.

Although I tend to lean towards libertarian/free market views, this isn't a civil rights issue, its a health issue. Nice post by the way Cad.

Yes I did. I voted for the smoking ban, I voted to legalize marijuana (except in public), and I voted to increase tobacco taxes.

Although I tend to lean towards libertarian/free market views, this isn't a civil rights issue, its a health issue. Nice post by the way Cad.

Its almost like there's some kind of usefulness attached to this voting business.

Some people could almost think its like, related to getting your opinions heard and stuff.

But thats not really relevant. I almost do think its a civil rights issue, as much as a health one, because smokers are insisting their right to impact upon other people is more important than everyone's right to not be impacted upon. Nobody's suggesting banning smoking, just banning smoking where it annoys and offends people.

I have to quit!

Tuesday night I was playing PS3 and out of nowhere started caughing. My asthma started flairing up and I felt like I was drowning. I had a ton of **** in my lungs and couldn't seem to get any of it up. The next morning I was really short of breath and spent two hours at work before heading to the ER. I guess I had bronchitus and didn't know it. I've had it a few times and each time I've ended up in the hospital, lucky me I got to spend the night this time. Now I'm on prednozone (a steroid to fight any inflamation in my lungs) and it makes me cranky, ichy, and pretty wired, not to mention it gives me the most insane dreams ever. Expect some craziness in the weird dreams thread soon.

Anyway back on topic I'm going to quit smoking. I've tried cold turkey and it doesn't work for me so I got some really bad tasting gum to help with the cravings. I really hope I can do this.

Anyway back on topic I'm going to quit smoking. I've tried cold turkey and it doesn't work for me so I got some really bad tasting gum to help with the cravings. I really hope I can do this.
Really? I have seen commercials about nicotine gum that comes in at least three different flavors (mint, strawberry & chocolate) beside the regular. Maybe you should try those.

I would qualify myself as a smoker of convenience. See, I don't smoke or buy cigarette's regularly. The only time I do is when I'm at a party, and even then I usually don't bring cigarette's, I'll just take one if somebody offers me it. There have been a few times I've bought cigarettes (Lucky Strikes) just to have onhand, mainly so if someone needs one, I can give them one.

Most of my friends smoke, and the guidelines for smoking and non-smoking zones are pretty clear. If your outside or in the attic, you can smoke. Anywhere else in the house, nope. If your a smoker, you go to those two areas to do it. If your a non-smoker in those areas, you deal with it. I believe in these kind of systems. I also believe in smoking bans for most public area's like restaurants and in front of public buildings, but not for places like bars. Yeah, there're a lot of negative side-affects to tobacco. There're also a lot of negative side-affects to eating cheese. Quite frankly, I think people need to respect both parties rights and that includes giving smokers SOME places that it is ok to smoke in. Say what you want about it, the same with alchohol or music, it's their choice.

On a side-note, I think the whole nicotine addiction is sychosomatic bull****. It's not that people are addicted and can't quit, they just don't want to. In highschool when I turned 18, I smoked a pack a day just because I could. After that, I didn't. I've never felt a "craving" or need for a cigarette since. Like any vice, sometimes it just sounds good to me which is why I'll partake.

On another, far funnier sidenote, my best friend was the president of an anti-smoking campaign in highschool. Now his only fight with tobacco is convincing people that Camel Lights are the best ;).

Yep, there's my piece.

When I turned 15 my friends gave me beer for the first time. Being a retarded teenager who doesn't think of consequences, I, of course, keep drinking until I was ****ed in half. They then gave me a pack cigaretts and I ate one and smoked the rest.

Since then I've never even touched one of the damn things.

I'm not huge on the "anti-smoking" bandwagon the way that planet-man is, but I'm not exactly indifferent to the subject as my grandma's on both sides of my family died from lung cancer. I'm not addicted to cigaretts, so I don't know what that's like, which, I guess, makes it unfair for me to judge you...but I don't really get what the whole craze is about.

I love that you got hammered and ate a cigarette.

If that's the most disqusting thing he eats while piss drunk, he can count himself lucky.

It's funny that tobacco companies say they don't target kids, yet I've been seeing more and more kids lately coming to school with cigarrette candies. You know what they say when I ask them about it? "It' just gum."

:roll:

EDIT:

Today it was a 4th grade girl I took it away from. Before, I saw a teacher take it away from a 2nd grader.

Last edited:
It's funny that tobacco companies say they don't target kids, yet I've been seeing more and more kids lately coming to school with cigarrette candies. You know what they say when I ask them about it? "It' just gum."

:roll:

EDIT:

Today it was a 4th grade girl I took it away from. Before, I saw a teacher take it away from a 2nd grader.
:roll: Who didn't love cigarrette candy when they were little? Those little chalky ones, or the gum cigars.

Latest posts

Back