The Ultimate Batman game

I get that, they only added Robin to help it work with a younger audience and not get too dark. Now I dont want kid robin, I always want the teenage version of robin, like in Batman TAS. Also the way I've always seen the Batman and Robin thing is as a master apprentice thing. Like how a Knight takes on an apprentice at an early age.

Zactly.

People who are adamently anti-Robin always frustrate me, because there is SO much darkness about the character, and any good writer can make the dynamic work... Bats is the Dark Knight, and Robin is his ward... It also completes a Father/Son thing for Batman... I dunno. Robin's one of my favorite characters (when done right).

Okay guys, I'm with you. Let's add Robin. Let's add Nightwing and Batgirl. Better yet, let's add the bat-nipples, the bat-repellant, and everything else that makes Batman a *****(....cat).

Now, let's get rid of all that ****. Now what have we got? We've got one kickass, badass, playa-hatin' gangsta Dark Knight.

To sum it up: Batman's a badass mother****er, and giving him Robin and Nightwing and Bat-nipples is a ***** move on your part.

Though I'm still saying we should have the bat-nipples and the bat-repellant.

Last edited:
I get that, they only added Robin to help it work with a younger audience and not get too dark. Now I dont want kid robin, I always want the teenage version of robin, like in Batman TAS. Also the way I've always seen the Batman and Robin thing is as a master apprentice thing. Like how a Knight takes on an apprentice at an early age.

Once again, fine. Even still, though, a teenager (regardless of how tough or athletic he or she is) is not going to be able to fight the scum of the earth wearing a brightly coloured costume. It just ain't gonna' happen. We can argue all day about the benefits of Batman training a younger person to one day become a force for good like he is, but when all else is said, the idea of Batman having a youthful sidekick makes about as much sense as a soup sandwich.

Don't get me wrong, I like Robin. I like Robin when he suits the story and the environment in which he resides. Batman Forever is a flashy, neon, non-realistic, cartoon-Earth. Batman and Robin are both grounded, realistic characters in this world, however. And Dick is not only an established athlete, but we are also shown a few times that he is a streetwise martial artist. Here, Robin makes sense. Then he puts on that shiny costume and all is lost again.

Last edited:
Okay guys, I'm with you. Let's add Robin. Let's add Nightwing and Batgirl. Better yet, let's add the bat-nipples, the bat-repellant, and everything else that makes Batman a *****(....cat).

Now, let's get rid of all that ****. Now what have we got? We've got one kickass, badass, playa-hatin' gangsta Dark Knight.

To sum it up: Batman's a badass mother****er, and giving him Robin and Nightwing and Bat-nipples is a ***** move on your part.

See how easy it all is?

But adding Robin (all versions) , Batgirl , nightwing adds Multiplayer and Online possibilities , How can that be bad?

Anyone notice how Batman's sidekicks are the center of his biggest stories? A Death in the Family, The Killing Joke, Hush, even DKR? The character has defined almost all of Batman's biggest stories. I think Dick's one of the best DCU heroes ever and Tim will be too. Heck, even Jason led to some strong stories.

Anyone notice how Batman's sidekicks are the center of his biggest stories? A Death in the Family, The Killing Joke, Hush, even DKR? The character has defined almost all of Batman's biggest stories. I think Dick's one of the best DCU heroes ever and Tim will be too. Heck, even Jason led to some strong stories.

No Man's Land focused more on Batman.

Hush was a dead sidekick, and not even that, an insane doctor who was pushed to the edge by Riddler.

...I really, really don't like you.

The Killing Joke
didn't necessarily have anything to do with any of Batman's sidekicks. The Joker didn't go after Batgirl, he went after Barbara Gordon, because she was Commissioner Gordon's daughter. The concept of her being Batman's sidekick was merely a coincidence. He would have been personally involved in the case regardless, because Jim was his best friend.

DKR had very little or nothing to do with Robin and even at that, Robin didn't do anything overly unrealistic in that story.

Hush isn't a story. It's an excuse to have a load of supervillains dancing around the place causing a ruckus.

A Death in the Family's a fine story, I'll admit. Doesn't mean I have to like Robin.

Last edited:

The Killing Joke
didn't necessarily have anything to do with any of Batman's sidekicks. The Joker didn't go after Batgirl, he went after Barbara Gordon, because she was Commissioner Gordon's daughter. The concept of her being Batman's sidekick was merely a coincidence. He would have been personally involved in the case regardless, because Jim was his best friend.

DKR had very little or nothing to do with Robin and even at that, Robin didn't do anything overly unrealistic in that story.

Hush isn't a story. It's an excuse to have a load of supervillains dancing around the place causing a ruckus.

A Death in the Family's a fine story, I'll admit. Doesn't mean I have to like Robin.

Killing Joke and DKR used the sidekicks to a lesser degree (and I understand the thing about Babs) but they were still very important to the story. And I still never said you have to like Robin. It's all opinion anyway. And before Ice gets here we should probably get back on topic for the Batman videogame.

Killing Joke and DKR used the sidekicks to a lesser degree (and I understand the thing about Babs) but they were still very important to the story.

We're both right in a way.

We should probably get back on topic for the Batman videogame.

I think Doom mentioned this already, but multiple, customizable vehicles would be awesome. You could work up experience to be able to build and design the ultimate Batmobile.

We're both right in a way.

I think Doom mentioned this already, but multiple, customizable vehicles would be awesome. You could work up experience to be able to build and design the ultimate Batmobile.

He's got so many in the cave that it wouldn't make since for him to use only one. And I liked the way Doom described how he would use the plane and cycle and such.

He's got so many in the cave that it wouldn't make since for him to use only one. And I liked the way Doom described how he would use the plane and cycle and such.

Yeah, but I don't think you should just be able to use all of the batmobiles right off the bat. Just like I don't think you should be able to use all of the batsuits right off the bat. I think you should have to earn them. That's what gaming's all about.

So, I was bored and baked, so I figured, why not? Someone should make this. It's the Zen of Batman games.

The controls would use pretty standard free roaming controls. Just running around the city, the face buttons would be keyed to regular combat - a low hit, a high hit, a jump (which could be used for a double jump or, I don't know, a glide?), and a context sensitive button which would be used for interacting with objects, stealth takedown, or a grab/disarm when facing a bad guy. The left analog stick is movement, the right analog stick is camera. There'd be an auto-lock for Batman's gadgets, with the triggers being used to scroll through targets, and a gadget assigned to either shoulder button. So, for say, batarangs, just hitting the shoulder assigned to it would fling one at whoever you're targeting. Smoke grenades or grappling hook or whatever would probably have to use a double tap. And you could maybe shift through the assigned tools with, Idunno, the arrow keys.

Tapping in the left analog stick would toss the camera right over your shoulder and let you free aim. Tapping the right analog stick would shift you into a close combat mode, the idea being that you sacrifice the camera control in place of having attacks keyed to the right stick. You remember that scene in Batman Begins where he's completely circled by a bunch of thugs and he's just this whirling dervish of bludgeoning limbs? The system would be there to help you juggle that kind of multiple combat without just getting collectively beat down any time you're swarmed. Basically, you just click the right stick in the direction of the guy you're attacking. A quick tap would work as a rabbit punch or a quick disarm/deflect, a heavier punch with a harder contact tap, a sweep around the outside of the stick to pull off a sweeping move, etc. The trick would be to juggle the thugs attacking you by throwing quick hits to knock back swings your way and try to fit the heavier, disabling blows in between. As for movement, it would still be keyed to the left analog stick, but your movement would be centered around whatever enemy was targeted, with an invisible circle around the perimeter of the target, so left and right would strafe in the circle around the target, while forward and back would approach and retreat, and snapping both sticks forward would initiate a tackle. So you could also use the system to zero in on specific enemies and target them more precisely for close quarters combat. I think all in all it would make for a basic control system that would lend itself well to free-roam *** kicking, mild stealth, and arcade style boss fights.

Onto mission structure. Ideally, you'd approach the game's production in a similar way as Dini and Timm did with Batman: TAS. You establish a separate continuity behind the vision of a creative team that allows you to reinvision Batman's rogues in ways that will make for more interesting gameplay possibilities, and also leave the door open to expand the universe with other DC Universe games (like the Superman series spun out of the Batman series). Place it in year two, letting you introduce the villains for the first time and present a Batman who's not bogged down by too much continuity. Each rogue has his own series of missions that each tells an independent story. Sometimes missions are automatically unlocked after completing an earlier mission in sequence, while others require you to follow leads, which are freeform challengers on the map - investigate a series of warehouses, shaking down thugs from a certain neighborhood, shaking down dealers, etc. Maybe you have a bank of leads to follow for each of these intermission portions - some of them might unlock the next mission, some might yield other rewards. You could split the year up into four seasons, with say, the finale of two storylines playing out in each season, but missions from the different stories stretched throughout the timeline. Side-by-side, you can have Mafia gang war missions, Bruce Wayne missions, Commissioner Gordon missions, etc. And then you have to tie together all these things to make a cohesive story….. But it could totally be done, and it would be epic. You cap off each storyline with some sort of wicked-explosive boss battle.

Finally, the city just needs to be alive. Batman beating up crooks in an open Gotham city would be just plain awesome, but it's even more awesome if your crime fighting has an effect on Gotham. So you break the city down into neighborhoods, and you give each one a crime index. The more you enforce your brand of awesome justice in a neighborhood, the lower the crime - leaving a slum to fester will cause crime to boom and start spilling into other neighborhoods. Graft on a basic Monopoly-style system as well, based around Bruce Wayne's wealth. You've got property all around town, and you can buy/build more or unlock it from missions. You have different structures you can get, so a police station might cut crime in the area, an office complex might increase your income, and a research facility might unlock more gadgets or vehicles. Most of your money comes from a revolving income based on what you own, but you keep the whole aspect streamlined and simplified. Money can be sunk back into buying more property, equipping yourself, buying upgrades, that kinda stuff.

I also think if you had the system in place, it would really lend itself well to producing cheap, episodic content using a tiny dev crew. You could, for instance, very easily put out a quarterly Year One story between production cycles, or even tinker the system to do some cool sort of GCPD or Gotham Underground thing.

That's pretty damn good, I like how you would design the fighting around the idea of surrounded

that would SO work... goddammit. that would be great. i'd make one or two slight tweaks, but otherwise yeah it would totally work man.

if i had any skill at programing at all, i'd totally do that.

Finally, the city just needs to be alive. Batman beating up crooks in an open Gotham city would be just plain awesome, but it's even more awesome if your crime fighting has an effect on Gotham. So you break the city down into neighborhoods, and you give each one a crime index. The more you enforce your brand of awesome justice in a neighborhood, the lower the crime - leaving a slum to fester will cause crime to boom and start spilling into other neighborhoods.

Yeah, this would be cool. Spider-Man 3 promised something like this, but it did not deliver.:( At least, I don't think it did.

Graft on a basic Monopoly-style system as well, based around Bruce Wayne's wealth. You've got property all around town, and you can buy/build more or unlock it from missions. You have different structures you can get, so a police station might cut crime in the area, an office complex might increase your income, and a research facility might unlock more gadgets or vehicles. Most of your money comes from a revolving income based on what you own, but you keep the whole aspect streamlined and simplified. Money can be sunk back into buying more property, equipping yourself, buying upgrades, that kinda stuff.

This is awesome. Can't believe I never thought about something like this.

Hah. Thanks for the compliments, guys. I actually have some tweaks for how to make the system work even more brilliantly, but I'm probably gonna wait until after I've bought a 360 and GTA IV to flesh it out.

Latest posts

Back