The Ultimate continuity hits just keep on coming...

Well, I must say, there's a mess, but as E predicted Ellis was working around his own clock rather than continuity's.

I'm suprised Ellis can tell the time.

I was bowled over when I saw him at a comic fair doing up his own shoe laces. :wink:

Bendis said on his boards that only Team-Up #9 is out of continuity and said flat-out that the Spider-Man Super Special is still canon. So...this just makes my head hurt.

I've been trying to ask this for a while now, but kept forgetting.

I know it's nothing special, but what did you guys think about the first pciture of the S.H.I.E.L.D. helicarrier in issue #13?

UltimateE said:
Not to mention the fact that when Fury went transparent he was still *there* and vulnerable to attack. Transparent is not the same as disappearing.

I meant when he walked through the walls in Ultimate X-Men, i know he's there when he's invisible, but i didn't use the right word, he can go intangible.

But as for General Ross' "death", I just want to point to Ultimates #2 where Fury brings up how all of his clothing is bulletproof and he's constantly on surveilance by SHIELD security. I'm just saying that I think they would have the Head of the most powerful Intelligence Agency in the Ultimate Earth sitting there Vulnerable. This is the United States we are talking about, i mean every single dish that's served to the president is tested for Poison. We're known to be overly paranoid, and ESPECIALLY an older General who has mostly been working through the Cold War. They are going to have him wired and protected to the N-th degree. And If he's meeting with other High Powered military oficials (even moreso if they're from other countries), that would just add up on the protection around.

Im not saying this plan is flawless, im saying it's reasonable and possible. It's better than just saying "He's alive 'cause Ellis says so"

I think he's alive... but sayin' he was dead as strangefate was sayin' he woulda been so well protected because it's america and he's head of the most powerful intelligence agency so he would've been well protected... but wasn't he killed by the weaponX guys so I think we should be able to give them enough credit to be able to pull this off...

But isn't that like saying the Black Ops can take over the Defense Department, because they are the best trained soldiers?

And keep in mind, Weapon X was underfunded and unwanted by the Government in general, They might have had Xavier, but that doesn't mean they knew how to use him properly or that they had the means to pull the mission off completely without fault. The one big Weapon X mission we saw was a rescue mission for Nick Fury, Ross' second-in-command, so it's going to be heavily funded, but for a non-commissioned assignment, really, I don't think they had that much influence anymore, that's pretty much what the whole Arc was about.

But the only real trained personel they had was Sabretooth (who was busy harassing Wolverine at the time of the explosion, if i remember correctly). Aside from that they had a 15 year old who couldnt speak english, and two former disciples of Magneto who preached Mutant Superiority, not Human Superiority, and The Rest were X-men. Wraith would not have trusted the mission that his career depended on on people who weren't loyal to him.

I don't mean to get you angry with me, im not trying to argue, im just trying to rationalize a very confusing problem with the best logic I can come up with....

Hell, im the type of guy who tries to rationalize the Plot Holes in Star Wars.... It's just what I do when I see something so clearly wrong.

I'm not angry with you at all... we're talkin on message boards about comic books why would I be angry with you???
I see where your goin' though I just thought maybe there were other trained weaponX guys that could pull it off. It's all well with me cos' I want Ross to be alive anyway....

As for the star wars holes.... yea good luck with that...

Dr.Strangefate said:
I meant when he walked through the walls in Ultimate X-Men, i know he's there when he's invisible, but i didn't use the right word, he can go intangible.

Gotcha. I was thinking about Ultimates #13 when he went invisible but Kleiser could still see him.

Well, it was Bendis (and possibly Millar) who screwed up Ultimate continuity with the first UFF arc by first using General Ross and then later by mentioning The Ultimates. Any theories about a prior group of Ultimates to the one we're familiar with, or theories about a gap between the Four disappearing and returning with their powers - which could explain the death of Ross and the formation of The Ultimates in between - were again screwed over by Bendis, who decided to have Johnny Storm appear in USM.
Bendis is a great writer and I love USM, but he's responsible for the continuity problems in Ultimate.
It was a mistake by Marvel to introduce the FF prior to their own series in the Ultimate U. Ellis has done the only thing that could be done by having Ross confirmed alive after the Weapon X arc, and it isn't being met with any hostility by fans because it does a lot for repairing the holes in the continuity. Honestly, I'm willing to ignore any mentions of The Four prior to their series, and am perfectly happy to ignore their appearance in the USM Super Special (Reed and Sue were married in it anyway, so it can't be classed as continuity).
Anyway, I'm just glad the situation with Ross has been addressed.

All the continuity problems in UU haven't bothered me a bit. All are great reads by themselves. The rigid continuity insisted on by both Marvel and DC fans is what ruined the "original" universes in the first place. Let the writers tell good stories in a loose frame. If you need to have read, for instance, something in an USM from two years ago to understand something in UXM today or vice versa, well, that ain't no fun. Comics are supposed to be fun stories, not exercises in annoyance because Jean though Colussus was gay some issue long ago and now no one's talking about it. That's the reason I dropped all the 616 titles and went with UU; they're loosely connected, not mandatory reading of each issue of each title. I can drop out and back in whenever I want and still have a good time.

I like the comments, Thiraknut, for too long has continuity been a factor in ruining some fun. But I myself try to make fun out of trying to rationilize the universe. Why does Mr. Fantastic change from old to young? Why did Dr. Doom appear in Latveria? and the sort.
Normaly thou I aproach it like this, I consider each title to be a universe all it's own if they want to encorporate other series, if not fine. For example, The "Ultimate spider-man" title to me only consits of #'s 1-current, 1/2, Ultimate Six # 1-7, and Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 10 [I include 10 because of it's reference in USM 39]. That's the complete Ultimate Spidey story to me, as far as I know, the Ultimates never battls the Chitauri, because it was never mentioned. Other instances include UMTU # 2-3 being included with "The Ultimates" Title. Ultimate X-men as far as I know has # 1-current, 1/2, Utimate War, Ultimate Marvel Team-Up # 11, and I think that's a bout it. Hopefully my comic-book psudeo continuity logic makes sense.

Ultxon said:
I like the comments, Thiraknut, for too long has continuity been a factor in ruining some fun. But I myself try to make fun out of trying to rationilize the universe. Why does Mr. Fantastic change from old to young?

As long as we're discussing continuity though, you probably shouldn't bother with this, because he was never "old." UMTU #9 is out of continuity.

UltimateE said:
As long as we're discussing continuity though, you probably shouldn't bother with this, because he was never "old." UMTU #9 is out of continuity.
BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT.... Ultimate spider-Man Super Special is.

OK, but when Bendis says that #9 is out of continuity, I have to assume that he means all UFF appearances in UMTU. SO I discount that. Until he says otherwise, you might consider it canon, but I don't.

I actually don't. The team-up between Spider-Man and Torch told me that it wasn't canon because they didn't know each other and their first meeting was in that Super Special issue.

Latest posts

Back