The Ultimate continuity hits just keep on coming...

icemastertron said:
You sure? There was that time in Vegas.....

HEY - what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

So many pages of discussion on Ultimate continuity errors...when the very point of the Ultimate U was to avoid complicated continuity!

I know continuity in 616 has some very dodgey areas, but does anything in 616 compare to:
The UFF (with powers) exist before the rest of the heroes, being mentioned many times in the other titles
The UFF (with powers) meet Spider-Man
The UFF (without powers) get their powers in presnet time to the rest of the titles
The Human Torch meets Spider-Man for the first time again
We take the actual first time they met out of continuity, and ignore every mention of them in other titles...

The sad thing is, that by explaining it this summer, Marvel's just gonna add to the continuity problems.

God, how much do you wish UMTU was never released...

icemastertron said:
I'm sorry, what is this "UMTU" people speak of? :?

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up.

You know, it doesn't cause that much of a problem people. Other than the FF issue, with has been pounded over and over to be out of Continuity, it's just a fun little book that introduced a few other UMU characters. It's perfect bathroom reading.

The real UFF problems came from The Ultimates and the FF's series itself. Quit blaming the redheaded stepchild and look at the perfect blond boy of yours.

Baxter said:
You know, it doesn't cause that much of a problem people. Other than the FF issue, with has been pounded over and over to be out of Continuity, it's just a fun little book that introduced a few other UMU characters. It's perfect bathroom reading.

The real UFF problems came from The Ultimates and the FF's series itself. Quit blaming the redheaded stepchild and look at the perfect blond boy of yours.

He has a point, guys...

Well, there aren't any continuity issues stemming from the UFF series itself, all problems come from other titles referring to them before they were established. I can easily ignore UMTU #9 and that scene from the Super Special. It's more annoying though when you're rereading older issues of Spidey and The Ultimates where they're mentioned specifically as The Fantastic Four.

Something I actually noticed is that USM #54 actually has Peter mention The Fantastic Four. That wasn't very long ago and actually leads me to believe that Bendis was writing the first arc to be set in the past.

I'm beginning to think that the series started in the past (hence, using General Ross) and Marvel changed their mind part of the way through the first arc and had Bendis insert that mention of The Ultimates to establish that it was set in present day.

Baxter said:

I wasn't blaming anyone! I was trying to joke along....

sheesh!

I Say we should give it a rest, suspend some disbelief, and pretend that Iron Man did not mention the Fantastic Four in Ultimates #2, and that They didn't appear in the USP Super Special.

Thats two things right there. They have plenty of ways they can (and probably will) explain the General Ross switching from Head of SHIELD to the Head of the Baxter Building. Plus, Dr. Doom has never been mentioned as the leader of Latveria, Latveria is a screwed up place w/o doubt, but there is nothing other than one portrait that defines him as the Leader, so lets just say he's not yet. And Some things in UMTU -are- important. The Introduction of Daredevil, and his character's dislike of Peter. Wolverine meeting Spiderman, then the X-men meeting spiderman (hell, its even important that Sabretooth is working for the government, that was before his appearance in the Weapon X arc). It has Fury recruiting Black Widow. It has the introduction of Curt Conners and the Lizard.

And someone brought up if 616 Continuity is this badly screwed up?! How about Magneto ripping apart New York City, and No one, in ANY other Title (despite how many of them take place there, especially Spiderman!) Notices! And then After Magneto kills Jean (again), Jean speeds off to a future where Everyone is Pheonix! Then claremont comes back, and all of a sudden, the guy who was there before Wasn't Magneto, and Magneto is magically the same guy with the same personality Claremont left when he left the comic, and back to being best buddies with the Prof.

Then how about rebooting the Spiderman storyline so that Aunt May could come back to life after dying after a long hard bout with some disease, and now modern comics reaching back to Gwen Stacy's death, which was simplified out of this reboot. In the Spiderman Continuity that Gwen Stacy died, Aunt may died. And now its the two right on top of each other. Plus Dr. Octopus is alive/dead too.... and god. I dare someone to try and explain the horrifying complexity of the Clone Wars....

Hmm... oh, and Now, back to X-men. In Astonishing X-men, they're meeting up with the Fantastic Four, who never recalled the Baxter building along with everything else getting ripped up by the Not-Magneto fellow. And with the Pheonix Endsong Miniseries, Jean grey's spirit is absorbed by the pheonix from her dead body, when we know that her mind is billions of years in the future....

In Ultimate Marvel we have possibly around 10 continuity problems, in 616, we have hundreds upon hundreds. DC is a lot better than Marvel with continuity, but there everyone complains about the complexity they go through to make things work out all fine and dandy.

I Have no problem with the few problems in the UU, and trust they will get addressed. If they dont get addressed, I might have a slight objection, but i'll still enjoy the books as much as I do now.

Latest posts

Back