The Ultimate Universe gets an origin

I'll read it. Just to give me some sort of closure about this whole damn conspiracy that's supposedly been brewing.

Ok...so this was announced here by Bendis himself at WW.

I'm gonna say this----I'm ntrigued. Mostly because hw said this is all based on talks and ideas that he AND Millar came up with when they first started the UU. He even stated that he'll be working with Millar for reference on this.
The last time Millar and Bendis worked together they produced the first Ultimate Fantastic Four arc. Ugh.

I don't know.

Morrison once said he had a way to connect the whole Ultimate universe and if Bendis got his grubby hands on that idea and just tweaked it a bit, I'm a happy camper!

Plus they can fix those Marvel Team-Up Old FF things.

But something just tells me that the Ultimate Universe is a universe 616 Reed Richards built in a lab and the whole imprint will die from it.

The last time Millar and Bendis worked together they produced the first Ultimate Fantastic Four arc. Ugh.

I really liked that arc. It was fun and it set a lot of groundwork. Of course Ellis's run was better (and the best run the title's had).

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know.

Morrison once said he had a way to connect the whole Ultimate universe and if Bendis got his grubby hands on that idea and just tweaked it a bit, I'm a happy camper!

Plus they can fix those Marvel Team-Up Old FF things.

But something just tells me that the Ultimate Universe is a universe 616 Reed Richards built in a lab and the whole imprint will die from it.

Bendis would **** it up and tear up the idea. Bendis has his strengths, but high concept comic writing isn't one of them.

With what we've seen of the origins so far - with the Super Soldier Serum being at the heart of it, and with SHIELD being the international police agency - we know that this is a far more grounded universe than the 616 as it is... Which already sets it apart from the 616. Sufficed to say, I don't think anything "groundbreaking" can come out of anything like an origin story that can't be told in a title already in circuit. I mean, I'm on board but I don't see where this is going.

Oh, yeah, and who doesn't buy that this'll lead into Loeb's run?

And I do think this could POTENTIALLY revive interest in the UU. I'm going to let this be the make or break mini... Do I stop reading comics altogether because this one did nothing to entertain me, or do I continue because this was incredible? It could go either way.

Why is this late? I mean, I know it may seem like it with the UU depleting in quality and relevancy, but why can't this bring it all back together again? This is what we've been waiting for, isn't it? It wasn't three years ago when we wanted Bendis off of USM or Vaughan to keep truckin' on UXM... Or Millar and Hitch to leave Ultimates, if you were into that... Origins = opportunity.

Me neither. I just think we have been long due a mini-series since Ultimate Galactus... Ultimate Power never counted in my opinion... And should've never happened.

I really liked that arc. It was fun and it set a lot of groundwork. Of course Ellis's run was better (and the best run the title's had).
I wasn't saying that it was patently bad --- I love the characterizations in that arc --- it's just further proof that trying to wring well-executed 'high-concept writing --- as someone mentioned earlier --- from those two writers working together, is not exactly easily done.

:lol:

Oh, yeah, and who doesn't buy that this'll lead into Loeb's run?

I actually do believe it, to some degree. I'm pretty sure he was indeed referring to the Ultimate Wolverine mini-series Loeb is to be writing. And if he goes into the origins of Wolveirne in Ultimate Origin, I can see how in some way it might be tied together.

It really doesn't matter either way.

I'll check this title out, for sure. Do I have high hopes for it? No way!

I do expect to at least get a few answers, and hope they aren't terribly contrived.

I wasn't saying that it was patently bad --- I love the characterizations in that arc --- it's just further proof that trying to wring well-executed 'high-concept writing --- as someone mentioned earlier --- from those two writers working together, is not exactly easily done.

That I can agree with.

I was going to ask about Loeb/Turner's Wolverine series and how it connected to this.

But I have a strict no questions policy at cons.

Latest posts

Back