the Ultimates Annual (speculation)

At least Millar is bringing some original characters into his Ultimate Universe, cause It breaths some fresh air into the Ultimate titles, cause sooner or later were gonna run out of 616 characters to Ultimize and I want some to be left for a couple of years so that when they are Ultimized it is still an event like it used to be!

Widdle Wade said:
At least Millar is bringing some original characters into his Ultimate Universe, cause It breaths some fresh air into the Ultimate titles, cause sooner or later were gonna run out of 616 characters to Ultimize and I want some to be left for a couple of years so that when they are Ultimized it is still an event like it used to be!
I totally agree there. I feel that in Ult spidey in particular, the ultizations have got very "oh, so they've got round to them then".
Millar's approach of dealing with stories and not heroes is perhaps the most appealing thing about his books to me.

Guijllons said:
Really? Coz I thought it was going to be a totally new team of totally new characters.

And I'll just say that again so that people pick up on it.

It's a totally new team of totally new characters. Millar said so.

FACT!

There's a reason they call you a 'tard.

FACT!

how about

some villians.....maybe some brotherhood guys...mix them with some alien guys......throw in the falcon....sounds like a party

TheManWithoutFear said:
No I wouldn't but honestly....

A) I don't trust Millar with Daredevil. He wrote him all wrong in the Wolverine issues.
Considering that Millar, Ellis and even Bendis wrote the book on disrespectful and critical attitudes towards superheroes in books like The Authority, Planetary and Sam + Twitch, judging their future work based on previous work isn't wholly reliable.

That is to say, just because Millar wrote a none-too-pleasing treatment of Daredevil in Wolverine, doesn't mean he can't write a fair and respectful one of Ol' Hornhead --- in or out of the Ultimate continuity.

ourchair said:
That is to say, just because Millar wrote a none-too-pleasing treatment of Daredevil in Wolverine, doesn't mean he can't write a fair and respectful one of Ol' Hornhead --- in or out of the Ultimate continuity.

Well, maybe I was wrong with my presentation of my opinion. It's not just his treatment of DD in Wolverine, it's his treatment of the defenders and Captain America in The Ultimates. Millar can take everything great about a character and everything a character stands for and turn him into a joke.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well, maybe I was wrong with my presentation of my opinion. It's not just his treatment of DD in Wolverine, it's his treatment of the defenders and Captain America in The Ultimates. Millar can take everything great about a character and everything a character stands for and turn him into a joke.
Well, I still disagree, because I think Millar's treatment is quite respectful of Captain America. Ultimates v1 #3 or "21st Century Boy" featured a very honest to goodness even handed look at Marvel's Sentinel of Liberty if one cares to overlook the larger cynical narrative that is woven into.

As for the Defenders, they may have been a bunch of punks who were doing little more than embarassing the hell out of themselves but assuming that we, as readers, are supposed to look down at them with a condescending eye is unfair to the fact that they were wrong-headed in their reasons for donning a costumes than pure losers.

Within the larger framework of the Ultimate Universe, it would seem logical for me to assume that being a wrong-headed wannabe is at least a step above being moronic tools who think that power is an excuse to inflate their sense of self-entitlement.

Even though they were just some normal people in costumes, I liked them a lot. They're trying to get the money to afford the fancy gadgets. They weren't just given everything they would need.

Oh, and I don't really like captain america. He stilll embodies America, just not ours. He embodies the version from decades ago. He's reall conservative and almost outright refuses to change his beliefs because, after all, he's Captain America. I hope the defenders gang up on him and beat him down. Then, after he beats up all of them, he realizes what a jerk he really is.

Do you guys think there will be a Giant Man II, Captain America II, or any II's joining the team? Millar has said that those we know now are only the blueprints...

I doubt it. I think the Defenders might try to join the new team, but if Pym can't give stuff to Fury for free, I doubt the Defenders can join the new team publicly.

I have seen some posts mentioning the Defenders. Given what we have seen of them in issue #6, those guys are no where near ready for prime time. even if some of them are given some form of physical and/or equipment upgrade, they would still have to learn tactics, how to best use individual powers, etc. what's the timeline for the annual, because if it's set the current time line I don't think that would be enough time to make them effective.

Well, yeah, Valkrie could just be responsible enough to wear Thor's harness, Power Man could get his powers by the Super Soldier deal, flight probably won't be a problem for Nighthawk, and the rest of the team I can't say I know what their powers are, but I'd imagine Millar could come up with something bright to give them powers.

Bass said:
Experimental testing? Hmm... isn't that how 616 Power Man got his powers? :sure:

Yeah, but 616 "Power Man" *Shudders* is much more interesting than Ultimate Power Man... and that's the last time I'm not going to refer to him as Luke Cage. But in 616 he was in jail and struck a deal with the government to experiment for his freedom.

Hmmm... Goodwill, about Valkyrie. I really don't they let anyone get near the harness and I wish Millar expanded on some sort of relationship in #6 between Valk and Thor. But this raises and interesting point. I wonder what SHIELD is doing with Thor's equipment. If it's tech than wouldn't we have had the anouncement by now that Thor was fake.

I don't know who Luke Cage is. I think you're referring to Power Man.

Also... Thor's sanity is part of GTA - maybe it'll be settled once and for all? I doubt it... but maybe.

Bass said:
I don't know who Luke Cage is. I think you're referring to Power Man.
grrrr... :lol:

BASS said:
Also... Thor's sanity is part of GTA - maybe it'll be settled once and for all? I doubt it... but maybe.
I can see it happening but I hope it's not delved into because I really want all of these revealations in a mini because it would make it a better read.

Latest posts

Back