This is MY gas, go get your own

Victor Von Doom said:
Yes. Cheap gas burns less efficiently and eats aways at your engine life. Its basically amounting to "you get what you pay for".

I could fill it up with cheap gas....but then I'd have to drop the same amount of money next week to fill 'er up. But by using premium gas I only have to refuel every 2 weeks (or right before---depends on how much driving I do). Since that's about payday---its no biggie to fill my tank up and worry about price.

I bet if you ask your mechanic what gas he uses....he'll always use premium. The only time I touch cheap gas is if I'm on E (no puns please :neutral: ) and payday is a little further off than I'd like. Even then...I only put in maybe $10 worth. Just enough to get me to payday.

The problem is that most people don't know how to take care of their cars. They just put gas in it and go. They think they are actually doing something by getting the oil changed. But people forget about air filters, fuel injectors, tires, etc. I'm no mechanic...but I learned how to deal with this kinda stuff so you don't get bamboozled by any auto mechanic or dealers.

Oh yeah....
I average about 16-17mpg.

i use to put in mid-grade, but i had to stop cuz my car wasn't liking. i got my car from my father, who bought it new back in 92' and i got it about 3-4 years ago, and by the time i got it, it had already 'learned' some bad manners.

but, im one those car freak people, and i TRY to keep my Camro in good shape.

and E, me and you are in the same boat,

nigma said:
and E, me and you are in the same boat,

I take state roads and use about 1/8 tank a day. I drive a sedan, so I don't waste a lot of gas. I used to take teh expressway and I went through a quarter tank a day.

E said:
I take state roads and use about 1/8 tank a day. I drive a sedan, so I don't waste a lot of gas. I used to take teh expressway and I went through a quarter tank a day.

like i said i drive a camaro, a 3.1 v6 (that means its on the small side) i get about 17-25 MttG.

i leave my house i take the back roads to work, from there i take the highway to school, and from there the highway back home. to about 36 miles, but if i have to make many trips, and i can easily do about 75 miles in a day. and its all stop and go, cuz even on the highway there are lights.

Americans (and, to be honest, canadians) use the most oil hungry vehicles of any nations.

Instead of whining about how the oil companies or the politicians have us by the ball, start buying more fuel efficient cars.

Victor, you say you average 17 miles per gallon. How would you feel about 60?

E.Vi.L. said:
Americans (and, to be honest, canadians) use the most oil hungry vehicles of any nations.

Instead of whining about how the oil companies or the politicians have us by the ball, start buying more fuel efficient cars.

Exactly.

People gripe about having to spend $60 to fill up their SUVs - drives me nuts. If you need the room, get a van. My wife drives a van and gets comparable gas mileage to my car.

The only thing keeping me from driving a hybrid is safety - with 2 kids I can't risk driving around in a tin can.

I paid $3.25 for regular at my local Fuel Depot last weekend. It wasn't the best price in town but I was really just topping off. The best for regular here is about $3.09.

This wouldn't be a problem if my beat up '79 Mazda RX-7 got decent mileage, which it doesn't. It gets 16 in town and 16.5 on the highway. That's just what happens when you have to buy a car under a thousand dollars. My previous car was a '89 Ford Ranger that consistently got 14 Miles per Gallon. Those were the good old days when gas flowed like water and I didn't pay for either. I try not to drive more than 20-30 miles a day.(on days when I'm not working)

The worst commute I know of was by my Uncle who worked approx. 70 miles away from work. He and his wife both wanted to be home owners and couldn't afford near his work, so they moved to a delightful prison town called Lompoc. For about 10 years he commuted by car 70 miles to work. The good news for him was that his employer, Raytheon, bought a wharehouse facility in Lompoc, so he works out of offices in that facility four days a week.

On an informative note, here's how E85 fuel works. It's %85 ethanol and %15 105 octane fuel. When the two are mixed a glycerin is formed that is also highly combustible. The reason only certain cars can run on E85 is that ethanol or ethyl alcohol(drinking alcohol) can oxidize the metal parts of non-stainless steel fuel lines causing lots of problems.

Something I only found out about gas after studying chemistry was what the octane ratings mean. It turns out gasoline isn't really octane. It's a mixture of highly combustible hydrocarbons found in petroleum(there's some octane in there). The octane rating refer to how much energy is released by combustion as compared to the combustion of pure octane. In other words, octane would have an octane rating of 100 octane.

E.Vi.L. said:

We do fine on mpg with the wife's Ford Focus.

E said:
People gripe about having to spend $60 to fill up their SUVs - drives me nuts. If you need the room, get a van.

I know. I hate those people too. My stance on SUVs is that they should be used for a purpose other than just another car.

My SUV is an Explorer. Nothing fancy...nothing too big. I use i for my job a lot. I have to transport a lot of equipment back and forth to several offices. With my truck...I can put down the backseat and load it up. I couldn't do that with my Mitsubishi Galant.

I got mine out of need...not want. Now the other SUV drivers who drive Excursions, Armadas, Escalades.......that's just dumb. You vehicle is huge and serves no valid purpose.

I know it can get expensive to fill up my tank sometimes......but that's my choice and I keep my complaints to myself. But most of the time...it doesn't bother me.

I mean what are my choices? Pay and drive...or not pay and walk?

And its the reason why I bought my car, Pontiac Vibe last year was the rising gas prices. Before, driving 8- miles a day in my Grand Prix was costring me upwards of 60 bucks was gas was two dollars perr gallon. Now I drive a comparable amount in my Vibe, and it's costin g me 20 dollars a week.

A thing I noticed with Pontiacs since my last two cars have been them. If you get below half a tank, you burn through gas much quicker

Yep, gas prices were a reason I bought my Toyota Echo a little over a year ago. I like only having to fill up once a paycheck (and I never put in more than $20 at the pump). So that's about $40 a month on gas for me, not too bad.

I'm still gonna ***** about gas prices every chance I get, though. I mean, back in high school, I payed less than $1 a gallon. Never gonna see that again :cry: .

I've got one. What's the lowest you remember see gas?(majority US question, but everyone chime in)

Briefly I remember seeing gas for 0.97 when I was a little kid. That was probably been about twelve or thirteen years ago. I only wish I could have enjoyed.

This is why gas is high:

Location- Dubai

image002.jpg

Inside
image004.jpg

Huh...
image005.jpg

All I can say is wow.

MaxwellSmart said:
I've got one. What's the lowest you remember see gas?(majority US question, but everyone chime in)

I distinctly remember it being in the 60 cent range, and when I started driving I was paying around 75 cents.

Ultimate Houde said:
88 cents, nack in 1998 when I lived in MAine

Prices flucuated between that and 94 cents back in '98 down here in Florida. I remember complaining when the price was over 90 cents... Man, talk about changing times.

speaking of high gas prices...

i was leaving work and i NEEDED gas so i stoped at the fist place i could get into .....and paid 3.14....3.14 im soo glad im getting a motor bike here soon. latter i was able to fill up and get it at about 3.05.....but 3.14...damn

I filled up my car at $3.39 last Sunday. Now that I'm spending so much at the pump, I've found myself trying to utilize every convenience available to me at a gas station. I check oil, fluids, and tire pressure. I also wash all my windows, clean out my car and wander around the mini-mart. As a result I spend like fifteen-twenty minutes in front of a pump. It's my way of sticking it to the man.

Latest posts

Back