This time they've gone too far. Planet-Man, get your gun.

I like some of your ideas Z-Panda, especially the idea of building up the concept of Dick as the first in the second generation of DC Superheroes. I don't like your redesignating Bat-villains and DC characters as members of the world around Dick. I would be open to him running into other heroes along the way... But it would be a mistake to put another member of his generation in costume before he dons it.

Honestly, I just don't think this can work without ****ing up any form of Batman continuity... And I'm opposed to creating an entirely new universe for the benefit of Dick Grayson becoming a hero before his tragic defining moment. If you want Dick Grayson, you put him in the Robin suit, and you cover his adventures outside of Batman... Hell, that way you even lead to potential live-action Teen Titans spin-off, when he does the inspiration gig that you've just been describing.

I even LIKE the idea of a Dick Grayson Robin series. The only way I could remotely be okay with this series is have Dick be incredibly young, and focus on his parents. Show that his passion for justice and his personality don't only come from Batman, but from the years he was with mom and dad. Get into the weirdness of the circus, have Deadman show up with HIS circus, even. But generally, keep it close to the Mob ties the circus has, and even build something up with Zucco and a personal grudge against the Graysons.

But an 18 year old Dick who hasn't been orphaned yet looses the character his sole reason of partnering with batman... Batman sees himself in Dick, when he sees the Parents die... Bruce was a young child, part of why it was so painful is how dependent he was still on his parents, he was lost. An older Dick would already be thinking about college and moving away, and the death of his parents would still hurt, but he'd still have direction, and the ability to operate without a legal guardian.

Dick Grayson is a great character, and as many have said, the true heart of the DC Universe, the one man that EVERYONE trusts. But he became that after the death of his parents.

I think Z-panda's idea is probably closest to what's going to happen, and its going to be a travesty.

EDIT: I would also voice my possible support for a Nightwing series, with occasional visits to Gotham to confront his rival, Jason Todd, and his great love, Barbara Gordon. Set it in Bludhaven, introduce the Cop by Day, hero by night, dynamic.

Last edited:
Granted this is not something I'd probably watch, but I'm confused why there such a huge uproar over this...?

Because it's an utterly putrid, disgusting idea for a television programme. Smallville, while it has let us down over the last couple of years, was an incredibly concept and lived up to its premise for the first years of its existence. Regardless of whether or not it lived up to it after that, it could not be denied that the years Clark Kent spent becoming Superman was a story we wanted to see. No matter how bad things got, the strength of the premise was still there.

Dick Grayson (a character many of us hate)'s years pre-Robin? What. The. ****? No one, even Robin fans wants to see this. What irritates me even further is that the reason so many of you aren't enamoured with the idea is that it will be another in a long line of teen dramas. Teen dramas aren't the brainless scum people make them out to be. Some of my favourite TV shows are teen dramas. The problem with this show is that it has a shoddy premise, it takes ridiculous liberties with an already controversial character and it is coming hot off the heels of a production whose makers constantly reminded fans that Robin was never going to be a part of their gig.

Nobody wants Robin. Especially not now. And particularly not like this.

Gyaaaah!

This sounds dumb. If they wanted to do another show like smallville why not do a spin-off with the flash from Smallville or How about the long rumoured "Metropolis" with some of the Smallville cast and Tom in the suit

"Metropolis" is not 'long-rumoured'. A bunch of fanboys thought it would make an interesting show (myself included, back when Smallville was good). That does not mean it was ever rumoured to actually take place.

Last edited:
"Metropolis" is not 'long-rumoured'. A bunch of fanboys thought it would make an interesting show (myself included, back when Smallville was good). That does not mean it was ever rumoured to actually take place.

Actually I kept reading about it since like season 2-4-ish on some tv news sites , smallville news sites and more that it was Rumoured so yeah it was rumoured. I hope it does happen. It could be cool.

Actually I kept reading about it since like season 2-4-ish on some tv news sites , smallville news sites and more that it was Rumoured so yeah it was rumoured. I hope it does happen. It could be cool.

Well, it won't. Tom Welling can't wait to be free of Clark Kent. There's no way he's going to sully his already dead career even more by playing Superman.

Well, it won't. Tom Welling can't wait to be free of Clark Kent. There's no way he's going to sully his already dead career even more by playing Superman.

I'm sure he would for the right amount of money.

I'm sure he would for the right amount of money.

The budget for Smallville is already in the toilet, not to mention the ratings. Unless the WB suddenly decide that a Superman show in the 2000s is worth millions of dollars, it's not even worth thinking about. Plus, no amount of money can buy passion for a role, which is something Tom Welling hasn't had in years.

it would make more sense to do a show about Robin right after he joins Batman
they could call it "Robin and Batman"
make it a superhero show that focuses on how hard it is to be a teenager AND Batman's partner...that at least has more potential than the Graysons

how much you wanna bet Killer Croc works with him and Boss Zucco is actually his best friend growing up. At least they won't be able to introduce a new lame supervillian with stupid powers that come from the meteor rocks! haha
did you ever see the episode of Smallville from season one where the chick from Enchanted becomes a fatsucking vampire b/c she drinks dietshakes made from vegetables that grew in soil that had Kryptonite in it? haha
so lame

I think networks have made it abundantly clear over the last couple of years that superheroes are cool, but costumes and codenames are not.

A Gotham Central show would kick ***. So would an ongoing comic series. :(

A Gotham Central show would kick ***. So would an ongoing comic series. :(

I don't even read Gotham Central and I still know that that's the perfect way of doing a live-action Batman show in the 2000s. Damn perfect.

Have a team of cops as the main characters, with Jim Gordon as the wise, sage-like mentor, and Batman as the mysterious vigilante aide, who is rarely even seen.

I don't even read Gotham Central and I still know that that's the perfect way of doing a live-action Batman show in the 2000s. Damn perfect.

Have a team of cops as the main characters, with Jim Gordon as the wise, sage-like mentor, and Batman as the mysterious vigilante aide, who is rarely even seen.

Like Nolan's Batman but from the cops' POV (yeah, I know, the comic is basically Batman comics from the cops' POV)?

But there's no way The Graysons is going to get picked up. If Mercy Reef (Aquaman) didn't get picked up, then this sack of **** definitely doesn't have a chance.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back