Thor Movie

How would you rate Thor?

• Total voters
Aaaaaaaaaaaand there's this entire site in a nutshell.

I think it's the entire site in an eggshell........

but after we argue for a few pages, one of us will probably realize that we actually mean the same thing.

Last edited:
I thoroughly enjoyed Thor; maybe moreso than any other Marvel film.

It didn't have the excessive, preachy angst of the Spider-Man films, the irritating smarm of Iron Man films or the convolution of the X-Men films. And most importantly it didn't adhere to the 'Marvel Formula' (prologue, origin, period of self-disbelief, romantic interlude, forced final battle). It was a thoroughly enjoyable, heroic, fun-filled, original film. In a lot of ways, it had the kind of tone that worked in the Christopher Reeve Superman films. In fact, this film had exactly the kind of universally heroic, uplifting tone the new Superman movie should have.

And Chris Hemsworth was a ****ing triumph. He had the perfect cheesy charm in the Asgard scenes while also succeeding in effecting credible humanity in the scenes with Jane Foster. I can't wait to see him bouncing off RDj in Avengers. I wouldn't even be surprised if Hemsworth steals some scenes away from him.

Very good indeed.

Last edited:
Same here, now if I can just find a theater not playing it in 3D

This has been my dilemma for the last two weeks. I think I'm just going to have to see it in 3D.

I saw it in 3D IMAX, partly because I had a guest pass from my cinema to see any film any screen, and partly because there is about ONE showing a day in 2D. 3D not really worth it in this case.

And both Captain America and The Avengers are going to be in 3D too. Is the latter actually being filmed in 3D or is going to be converted like the rest?

At least the IMAX near me has it in 2D, so I have that back up but my regular theater does not, which angers me.

Well good news, my regular theater is having it in 2D, when I check it was just the late night showing on May 5th, but Friday it has the normal Thor listed. I now feel better with the world

The 3D was fine. It wasn't super-effective, nor did it darken or mess up anything. It just created a neat sense of depth in some of the Asgard landscapes and flying-through-space scenes and otherwise wasn't really noticeable. If anybody's in dilemma about this I'd say just go for it.

I really enjoyed the film. What I've been thinking about a lot was how much it really is the full-length, all-purpose Thor film that everyone vaguely envisioned for years but couldn't really see being pulled off or even being given the budget to try. Anyway, it was a breath of fresh air in most ways and the way the Nine Realms stuff was thoroughly fleshed out in its own spectacular, meaningful light instead of just being the setup for Thor's fish-out-of-water story - which was also fully and lovably done - was just great. It's a film that believes in itself, and Brannagh, Hemsworth, Hopkins and Hiddleston all deserve pats on the back. I look forward to hearing them discuss the film.

I also think Thor is by far what I'm looking forward too most about The Avengers at this point and am thrilled that - judging by the post-credits scene -
Loki's going to be a part of that too.

Also, Hawkeye was cool, mainly because I hadn't heard anything about him being in it when I went into the theater.

It was as I expected, which was that it would be a rather pedestrian story that was a delight. Spoilers below, gentlemen.

And it was a delight, indeed. Is it better than IRON MAN? I think so. I'm of the same opinion as Gothamite and Planet-Man.

As everyone knows, Helmsworth is stellar and carries the entire film. He's terrific; he's cocky and reckless, yet a wise king and it works. The warriors three and Sif are all fun, except for Hogun who kinda only stands out because he's the only Asian in the movie; Sif is the most badass of the foursome (the way she skewers the Destroyer is terrific), Fandral shines, and Volstagg is rather funny. Hopkins is a great Odin, Idris Elba is wonderful as Heimdall, Selvig and Darcy are great, and then.... there's Tom Hiddleston's Loki.

Here's what I think was surprising about THOR: firstly, how funny it was. The horse, another drink, and Portman hitting him with her car for a second time. Hell, I laughed when I saw Thor striding through the center of the road. Secondly, I don't think anyone expected to be so empathetic towards Loki. Maybe that's just me, but I found myself really engaged, emotionally, with Loki. He wasn't the "kickass villain" (and I love kickass villains) but rather this tragic secondary protagonist and wow, did it work.

And a someone who wanted Ultimate Thor, as in, "Is he really a god?", they threw that out the window so they could have comedy. Which is terrific, because it worked. If I didn't get the Thor I wanted, I'm glad that the Thor they made was wonderful enough to make me not go, "Poo. It's not my Thor." Fantastic.

Yet, I have two problems with the film: The first is Portman. I'm not a fan of her, but really, the problem was Janice Foster. I liked that she was totally into Thor, but I never bought that Thor would be into her. Now, while that might just be me, one of the problems is that the love story never really goes anywhere yet it is central to the climax of the story. I think their relationship should've been more intense (not in a steamy sexy way but rather more should have happened in their relationship - what, I don't know, it should've been a proper sub-plot and it was kinda lackluster). And another problem was that there was no need for Foster and Darcy. They could've easily been the same character, and they should've been. All the stuff Darcy does should've been given to Foster because Darcy was far more entertaining and I think, if Foster was enthralled but scared of Thor (tasering him) and treated him like an oddity (facebook), it would've been more compelling. That's not a slight to either actress though; they were fine.

The second problem is the same problem I had with STAR TREK and IRON MAN and THE INCREDIBLE HULK - it has a poopy story. The story isn't bad, it's just a cliche. We've seen it all before. Once Thor stands up and sacrifices himself to the Destroyer, I just sat back and while I still enjoyed myself, I had seen everything before and I knew what was going to happen long before it did and it was just a going through the motions experience. "Been there, done that."

Despite that, THOR and the other three films work, they're fun. And the reason is that not only are they wonderfully told, but the main actor (Pine, Downey Jr, Norton, Helmsworth) is so engaging emotionally that you kinda don't mind the fact that you've seen the story before because you haven't seen them before. And THOR had a two-fer because Loki is so wonderful, and THOR really had terrific pace and structure. It's all very well done. But: it's a cliche. Cliches work, that's why they get used again and again, and this movie did them very well, but the fact that it's unoriginal is why you go, "That was so much fun... but it wasn't THE DARK KNIGHT." That's what separates Dreamworks from Pixar; Dreamworks is just unoriginal. Fun, but unoriginal. THOR is as good as 'unoriginal' can get. So bravo to them.

Hell, even when I knew everything, it still surprised me: I applauded when Thor put his hammer on Loki. I had never seen that before, and it was terrific. And man, Bifrost was one of the best things I'd seen.

All in all, an absolute joy, and the best Marvel movie to date. I'd have to watch IRON MAN to be doubly sure.

I'm going to agree with Bass on almost everything because that's pretty much how I felt. I really like Hemsworth and I'm glad we have Hiddleson as the main antagonist of the Avengers series now. He's really stellar in this. One of my favorite things that they did was the ending because without Thor being on Earth I'm excited to see how he actually comes to aid the Avengers.

I'm so glad we're to the point where we can see a movie that ends with Nick Fury showing the Cosmic Cube to a man possessed by Loki. Oh and with Hawkeye as well.

Darcy was the most annoying character in the movie. Every time she opened her mouth she said something annoying. I think it's okay for Hogun to be the only Asian-looking guy in the movie because Hogun isn't really an Aesir. And his personality was befitting because his nickname is "Hogun the Grim." I thought the plot was kind of messy, and Loki's motivation was confusing. Iron Man had a stronger plot. Chris Hemsworth and Tom Hiddleston completely nailed their roles though. I don't have any major complaints about the movie, I was satisfied.

And Bass, you can't really criticize the movie for the story being too cliche. It stays true to Thor's origin: Thor is exiled to Earth so that he can learn humility and earn the right to wield his hammer.

Last edited:
To be honest, I think it's my least favourite of the 4 Avengers related films I've seen so far. I don't know what I was expecting, but it didn't quite work for me.

Spoilers follow

I think, maybe I'm getting tired of movies that sell themselves short by substituting spectacle for story and character development. I thought the visuals were stunning, the action was great, it was funny, and I started to like the characters. But I only started to like them. There was no depth to them. I needed to see why Loki was a credible threat. I felt like I was told that he was a threat and expected to take their word for it. Having characters say, "He's always been jealous of Thor" and "He's always been mischievous" and "You've always been a skilled liar" doesn't convince me. I want to see him jealous of Thor and deceiving people and being mischievous. I want to see Thor's relationship with him. I want to see him love Loki, but in his arrogance make him feel inferior. And I wanted to see Thor struggle with his humility/pride. He pretty much changed over night b/c he met a pretty girl and wasn't worthy of Mjolnir.

And the story was ridiculously cliche. As Bass said, after he sacrificed himself to save the people, I fully expected a re-enactment of Beauty and the Beast and Hercules and they didn't disappoint.

This story should have been about Thor and Loki and really delved into that relationship. The forced romance should have been left for another time when it could have played out more naturally. And the "Hey look it's SHIELD, this ties in with the Avengers!" stuff, while it wasn't bad, if it prevented them from telling a better story, then it should have been shaved down.

That said, when Thor called Coulson "Son of Coul", I laughed pretty hard.

I liked that they included
Donald Blake
in the movie, and I like how they explained Yggdrasil, the World Tree. Did anyone notice the billboard that said "Journey Into Mystery"?

Latest posts

Back