Thunder... Thunder... THUNDERCATS HOOO!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it me... or does this look a lot like AVATAR?

Maybe that's what feels off, Mole? Also, it's worth noting that the vast majority of the trailer makes it look like its set on Thundera. It's possible that the pilot is mainly set on Thundera and the series on Third Earth. Which might explain why it looks so odd?

I don't see that, it feels like Thundercats to me and seems like they're really streamlining the mythology and have a definite direction. I may not appear like Thundercatz cause all the scenes take place on thundra so there's no familiar settings of 3rd Earth, there's no mumra present, and see way too many thundarians to really identify the thundercats. From what I can tell, this footage is from the pilot and it will focus on Lion O earning the right to wield the sword of omens and the team comes together while mutants attack the city. They'll definitely end up on 3rd Earth but they seem to be taking they're time which is a good sign.

Scratch some of that, Mumra is shown as a wall carving in the first shot and his reflections on the sword blade. Also Bass at first I thought you meant James Cameron's Avatar (Damn you Cameron for making references to one of my favorite cartoons more difficult!) But I agree is definitely feels like the same studio did avatar, the have similar color and animation styles

Last edited:
Um... I totally meant Cameron's AVATAR. That is precisely what I was referring to. All the cat-people jumping up and down cities in trees. :?

Um... I totally meant Cameron's AVATAR. That is precisely what I was referring to. All the cat-people jumping up and down cities in trees. :?

Oh well then I don't see that at all, you crazy crazy guy

Maybe that's what feels off, Mole? Also, it's worth noting that the vast majority of the trailer makes it look like its set on Thundera. It's possible that the pilot is mainly set on Thundera and the series on Third Earth. Which might explain why it looks so odd?

No, It's too overly bright and too different. I expected to see Thundera. It just doesn't look like thundercats at all. It may just be me and if it is, that's cool. But it's TOO different.

Let's look at Star Trek. If the the first thundercats is the original. This should be like the Next Generation. By that I mean taking the original and tweaking it to be be serious or a better product. However this looks too much like Enterprise. A bad attempt at "modernizing" something and not caring about the original.

That maybe a bad analogy but I don't know it's just not what thundercats is to me in look at all.

I don't know it worked pretty well with the JJ Abrams movie.

And there are plenty of other examples of cartoons getting remade from the beginning into better products. Spectacular Spider-Man, Young Justice, and TMNT were all great remakes that overshadowed their predecessors.

Sidenote* Snarf looks adorable. "Snarf Snarf"

Last edited:
TMNT is a great example. Yes the 2003 one was great BUT this looks more like Fast Forward (So bad it killed TMNT) than 2003 turtles.

Or going with spider-man. This looks more "unlimted" than Spectacular or 90's (The 90's is still the best Spider-man cartoon IMO)

Last edited:
No, It's too overly bright and too different. I expected to see Thundera. It just doesn't look like thundercats at all. It may just be me and if it is, that's cool. But it's TOO different.

Let's look at Star Trek. If the the first thundercats is the original. This should be like the Next Generation. By that I mean taking the original and tweaking it to be be serious or a better product. However this looks too much like Enterprise. A bad attempt at "modernizing" something and not caring about the original.

That maybe a bad analogy but I don't know it's just not what thundercats is to me in look at all.

I think that it is a bad analogy, but I get what you're trying to say.

It might start to feel like THUNDERCATS to you as more develops.

That was a lot better than the last trailer/footage. Actually hearing him say "thunder... Thunder... THUNDERCATS HOOOO!" made it feel right.

Although I will be sad they probably won't use the awesome original theme song.

Three things:

1. Is that king dude being played by the original Lion-O? Sure sounds like him.
2. This feels very reminescient of LOTR or Avatar: the Last Airbender. This is good.
3. I am indifferent to the original show, and this looks very good to me. Again, this is good.

Wait. From that video, Lion-O = Destined to defeat Mumm-Ra? great. Why do people keep doing this in remake/reboots. adding in "Destiny" and "fate" and whole bunch of crap that wasn't needed.

As for the animation I still don't like the style it looks way off. The plot looks way to clichéd. It's like in the 90's when shows got "remade" they added skate boards ect.. now they force an "epic" story but with everyone doing it it's not "epic" it's bland and generic.

sorry for been harsh but this is like that spider-man comic that tried to say he was destined to get bit ect... it ruined the point of the characters.

Thundercats land on third earth. Do not know who's good and who's bad and only face Mumm-Ra because he started ****ing with them really. It's like superman. he comes to earth and only really fights Lex because lex is the bad guy in the city he's in. If they brought out a superman comic where the kryptonians knew lex and only sent Clark to earth to beat him. It'd just be too different.

:( this remake keeps disappointing me as I wanted to like it but so far everything I've seen is bad.

I'm not a fan of THUNDERCATS, but I kinda agree with Mole on every point except the animation style; I think it looks good.

But, I don't get why there is no Thundera at all, I think the "destiny" thing is a terrible cliche, and the whole "Helm's Deep" thing seems really off.

Basically, it looks like they wanted to make another AVATAR: THE LAST AIRBENDER and they thought it would be an easier sell to cash in on 80s nostalgia and call it THUNDERCATS. With the exception of the toys and proper names, nothing of the original seems to be here.

That said, I was never a huge fan of the original, though I enjoyed it a lot when I was a kid and saw what I could of it (kids today are lucky to have the internet). But the point of these trailers is to make me go, "Wow. I have to see that because it looks so new and more like the original than the original!" And this one just made me go, "I don't think you should just rip off THE LORD OF THE RINGS and call it THUNDERCATS because Mumm-Ra is in it."

Maybe the series will be better.

Last edited:
I disagree,the epicness fits because the Thundarians and mutant were at war in the beginning of the series(which starts with a planet blowing up I say that's pretty epic right there). Plus destiny has always been Lion-o's thing, he was destine to wield the sword of omens. This isn't anything new. And just because they want to include more about this war between Thundrains and mutant with out having to result in the time/money saver of only having a dozen characters interacting at a time doesn't in anyway say to me they're tacking on the "epic" nature. I seems like a pretty logical route for a Thundercats reboot to me.

I think it's better than Mumra commissioning a robot rat with shrinking spray to get the sword of omens. Oh and the robot rat also shape shifts.

The first episode of the original series had the planet blowing up between the war of the mutants and Lion-o's people. He was saved by a few warriors due to something they did. The first episode did have the mutant war, and Lion-o's destiny to make a new planet home.

The wizard guy and his father were a huge part of the series, usually coming to him in dreams or talking to him as a ghost. His father was killed in the first episode by Mummra.

They even had a five episode event were Lion-o had to prove himself to be king by fighting against each one of his warriors. That was epic. Then he had to kill Mummra at the end, did so, and completed his destiny. Yes, the show was all about destiny and fate, it always was.

The whole show was about fantasy, epicness, surviving as the last of your species, facing off against your eternal foe, all that jazz. I loved it as a kid.

Bass needs to get informed.

I hope this turns out like the He-man reboot from a few years ago. That was an awesome reimagining of He-man, and if this turns out the same way, it will be glorious.

Last edited:
But Houde the destiny in this seems way over the top. A few episodes of original did mention destiny but not to extent that trailer made out. This unfortunately will be nothing like the he-man cartoon. The he-man cartoon was great because it looked similar to original just new and also felt like He-man.

This has way too many modern clichés.

Anime looking art? Check
Attempt to seem epic by doing big battle? Check
Forced Destiny ? Check
Make the main character younger looking to sell to kids? Check*

*Yes i'm counting his lack of age growth as it as well it basically is.

The only way this could be more clichéd at this point would be if they add "parody of original" in an episode or two. (and i have no doubt they will) The group making it have done good products before so this is just a let-down.

It seems to be made by a hack who has NO idea what original was and just wants to make a quick $ . Honestly I'd be more surprised if so many studios didn't do this now days.

And honestly from the look of it. If it didn't have the "thundercats" name I'd be great show but it does and that holds it back as lets face it, it looks so far away from original at this point it's verging on the difference between "Star trek the original series" and "Enterprise" territory. Or worse the difference between the original star wars trilogy and the horrible, horrible new clone wars cartoon.

I don't say this often but I hope this fails so in a few years we can get a proper thundercats cartoon

Last edited:
The first episode of the original series had the planet blowing up between the war of the mutants and Lion-o's people. He was saved by a few warriors due to something they did. The first episode did have the mutant war, and Lion-o's destiny to make a new planet home.

The wizard guy and his father were a huge part of the series, usually coming to him in dreams or talking to him as a ghost. His father was killed in the first episode by Mummra.

They even had a five episode event were Lion-o had to prove himself to be king by fighting against each one of his warriors. That was epic. Then he had to kill Mummra at the end, did so, and completed his destiny. Yes, the show was all about destiny and fate, it always was.

The whole show was about fantasy, epicness, surviving as the last of your species, facing off against your eternal foe, all that jazz. I loved it as a kid.

Bass needs to get informed.

I hope this turns out like the He-man reboot from a few years ago. That was an awesome reimagining of He-man, and if this turns out the same way, it will be glorious.

When I was a kid watching it, I only had access to a small number of episodes, and the ones I remember are the ones where Lion-O goes after three alien bounty hunters and the one where he breaks into a castle to get a ring of two hearts intertwined. I also remember the movie.

It is quite possible I saw a small snippet of all this stuff and missed out on the more iconic episodes.

I never watched any of these Thundercats or He-Mans or G.I. Joes and I never will!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back