Spider-Man Tom Beland & Sean Phillips write Spidey Unlimited.

Ice

Teh Sexy Monkey Queen
From Millarworld, Beland writes:

Hey everyone.

Marvel Comics asked me to write a Spidey book back in January. After I came out of my shock-induced coma, I tried to figure out how you write a story about a character I've been reading since I was a kid in the late 60's/early 70's.

So, I came up with story that I enjoyed writing and, hopefully, you'll all like. The story is issue #12 and, I believe, it ships in November. Check the upcoming PREVIEWS just to make sure.

Doing the art chores will be none other than Sean Phillips, from SLEEPER fame!! After coming off my second shock-induced coma (from hearing Sean is going to draw one of my stories), I began to talk with him online and the dude's a class act and sweetheart.

BUT WAIT.. THERE'S MORE!!!

ALSO in this issue is a story penned by Brian Reed and drawn by none other than Michael Lark! Brian let me take a peek at some of the pages and, well, wow. Incrdible stuff.

So... enjoy. I hope you'll like it.

I'm a barely high-school graduate who worked hard on his craft. I was doing mini-comics seven years ago and now my name is giong to be on a Spidey book. It's surreal beyond words and if you're sitting there at home, working on YOUR mini comics, thinking they're going to go nowhere, trust me... dreams happen. You just have to bust your asses to produce the best work you can until your name is called. Seven years seems long, but it was a blur to me.

If I can do it, anyone can.

...okay, I'm mister read more comics and I hate, Hate, HATE to admit it but I've got no idea who this guy is.

Lil' help?

I don't understand the point of the Unlimited books. What's the gimick?

icemastertron said:
It's to help showcase up & coming writers and artists.
Isn't that what Ultimate Team-Up was supposed to do? Ultimate Marvel Team-Up: "Look at all my cool comic artist friends, isnt the Bendis rolodex HUGE? Continuity, what's that?"

ourchair said:
Isn't that what Ultimate Team-Up was supposed to do? Ultimate Marvel Team-Up: "Look at all my cool comic artist friends, isnt the Bendis rolodex HUGE? Continuity, what's that?"
That wasn't the POINT of UMTU. But Bendis did say each arc had different artists to show what they cand do (or however he put it). The POINT of the Unlimited series is for what I said above.

I still don't know who this guy is.

And the team up artists weren't exactly newcomers to the field either. I mean Phil Hesters been around forever.

icemastertron said:
That wasn't the POINT of UMTU. But Bendis did say each arc had different artists to show what they cand do (or however he put it).
I was of course, kidding and being utterly facetious.

Baxter said:

And the team up artists weren't exactly newcomers to the field either. I mean Phil Hesters been around forever.
I never suggested that they were newcomers, but rather part of the large circle of 'mainstream indie' talent that comprises the friends of friends of Bendis.

As for Beland, he's most known for his critically-acclaimed indie dramedy, True Story Swear to God. I have doubts though about how he's going to translate into writing superhero books but then again since he's doing Unlimited I think there's potential there, as I've always believed that everyone has at least ONE good superhero story in them no matter their background as writers.

Baxter said:
Not really just for newcomers, as much as its also for those to get (some or more) recognition.

icemastertron said:
Not really just for newcomers, as much as its also for those to get (some or more) recognition.
Yeah.

I was listening to a Fanboy Radio interview with Bendis from 2002 or 2001 I had loaded into my mp3 player on my way home from class, and it's funny because the interview was conducted at a time when Bendis' star was rising within Marvel and when he was high on comics evangelism.

And the way, he seems to have put it is that Team-Up's primary function was to expose people to unique visual styles that you can't get from movies and other mass media, so to the extent that he put it UMTU is a lot like Unlimited. Only with one writer.

ourchair said:
Yeah.

I was listening to a Fanboy Radio interview with Bendis from 2002 or 2001 I had loaded into my mp3 player on my way home from class, and it's funny because the interview was conducted at a time when Bendis' star was rising within Marvel and when he was high on comics evangelism.

And the way, he seems to have put it is that Team-Up's primary function was to expose people to unique visual styles that you can't get from movies and other mass media, so to the extent that he put it UMTU is a lot like Unlimited. Only with one writer.
Interesting, than. Thanks for the insight on that.

Baxter said:
Beland writes a relationship-driven slice-of-life comic series titled True Story, Swear To God about an inter-cultural relationship. I've never read it myself, but people keep recommending it to me, and I know it's regarded as one of the more accessible indie titles (in terms of storyline), especially useful as a starter book for new comic readers who aren't particularly into the spandex hero thing, fantasy epics, *or* hipper-than-thou quasi-autobiography by white folks with extensive record collections.

A Sean Phillips page:

Check this page out. Sean posted it on MW. Its a finished inked page, but it looks great.

spu9.jpg

Its only sad that hes just doing a 12 page story (I believe its 12 pages), and not a whole issue. I'd love to see him on a series.

icemastertron said:
Check this page out. Sean posted it on MW. Its a finished inked page, but it looks great.

spu9.jpg
Awesome. I've seen Philip's work on Sleeper, but without colors his art reminds me of Michael Gaydos, in a good way.

Latest posts

Back