Top Ten Greatest Television Shows of All Time

(The only reason 90% of Family Guy gags were done on the Simpsons is because after 19 seasons the Simpsons have done EVERY ****ING GAG POSSIBLE. Even the ****ing Rugrats have to copy off of the Simpsons, because the Simpsons have done everything. Bart isn't really dumb, he just doesn't apply himself. The only reason the Family Guy movie was DTV instead of big screen is because they made it for a different reason than the Simpsons. The Simpsons have had 19 seasons, they have enough money and quite possibly a larger fanbase because they've been on the air since 1989. The Family Guy movie was made to give something back to the fans, as a thank-you for the unprecedented DVD sales. The Simpsons movie is being made simply for money. And why they don't have Conan O'Brien on that mother****er is beyond me.)

And That's the end of that discussion here. Move it to the All About TV Shows Thread or forget about it.

Also:

Family Guy < The Simpsons < Futurama < Scrubs

(and TGO, I am going to come for you in the night)

*polishes the fancy stabbing knife*

Last edited:
I dunno, Futurama's pretty great but I don't think it beat The Simpsons seasons 3 through 10.

"The Luck Of The Fryrish", however, is the only episode of any show that makes me bawl like a baby every single time I watch it.

Last edited:
I dunno, Futurama's pretty great but I don't think it beat The Simpsons seasons 3 through 10.

"The Luck Of The Fryrish", however, is the only episode of any show that makes me bawl like a baby every single time I watch it.

"Don't you, forget about me"

And That's the end of that discussion here. Move it to the All About TV Shows Thread or forget about it.

Also:

Family Guy < The Simpsons < Futurama < Scrubs

(and TGO, I am going to come for you in the night)

*polishes the fancy stabbing knife*

Agreed , with EVERYTHING

I've updated my original list a lot, as well as adding the comments...

12. Beast Wars - Totally awesome. Amazing battle scenes, characters so well-developed you forget they're animated, captivating story arcs, and genuine maturity, even going so far as to drop a few Shakespeare references for us more well-read 6-year-olds.

11. Lois and Clark: The New Adventures of Superman - The warmest, most feel-good version of Superman to date, which works just fine with me. The first season alone is enough to put it firmly on this list.

10. Seinfeld - All the bizarre quirks of a modern social life wrapped up in 9 Seasons of pure comedic genius.

9. Justice League/Justice League Unlimited - The best, most adult thing to come out of the DCAU. It's too bad the last season didn't wrap up enough and started to camp up in places, but still, the show was of LOST-level quality at times.

8. Frasier - Richly cultured and self-parodying of that at the same time, this is truly one of the best shows ever. Appropriately enough, the show got better and better with age. Also, Niles Crane is probably my all-time favourite TV character.

7. Heroes - The show we were all waiting for, even if we didn't know it. Comic books and superheroes blended with modern life seemlessly thanks to the terrific characters and superb atmosphere. I hope this ascends with future seasons.

6. Scrubs - Very funny and very moving. Tricks you with a mask of selective reality and cartoonishness and then slaps you in the face with the fact that none of it could be closer to real life. Dr. Cox is probably #2 on aformentioned favourite characters list.

5. The first three seasons of Smallville - Epic, powerful, moving, cool, and a dream come true for any Superman fan. Too bad the show took such a dive after that that I can't even consider the later seasons part of the same series.

4. Friends - Seen them all a hundred times. Still great. The earlier seasons are a lot better than the later ones, but this is still my favourite conventional sitcom.

3. Arrested Development - Almost too good to be true. How could anybody think of something this inspired, and original, and flawlessly built, and fall-on-the-floor hilarious? Who cares. Just be thankful for it.

2. The Simpsons - More or less the definitive TV comedy for the 20th Century. It has something for everyone, and it's usually something grand. Time has shown, though, that for the new millenium.... it's just not compatable. Should've quit while it was ahead. Ah well. I love it.

1. LOST - So far, I can't think of a show I've gotten more into. The characters, the dialouge, the settings, the terror, the emotion, the music, the mystery, just everything has been perfect so far. I'm so afraid it's going to fall apart during the next season.... let's keep our hopes up that it doesn't.

Honorable mentions:
  • Batman: The Animated Series - Brilliantly original and mature. A few of the sillier episodes prevent this from being higher.
  • The Cosby Show - Always a lot of fun.
  • Quantum Leap - Wonderful down-to-earth Sci-Fi/Adventure/Comedy.
  • I Love Lucy - The mother of all sitcoms.
  • Beverly Hills: 90210 - Ah, teen life. If you're rich. And beautiful. But still nice. I've gotten really into this over the summer.
  • Rome - Such a thourough endeavour that it feels like you're looking back through time.
  • Stella - 10 episodes of hysterical absurdity. The only thing keeping it off the list is that it's sort of a watered down, more mainstreamed(i.e. sans the random dry-humping and dildos) version of their 26 short films, which may have defined my favourite type of humour for me.
  • Futurama - The catch-all parody of that most marvelous genre we call Sci-Fi. Clever, funny, maybe a bit forced at times, but still always a blast.
  • Family Guy - A big box of all-purpose belly laughs. It sometimes gets too wrapped up in its own little world, especially in the newer seasons, but more often than not I laugh out loud 4 or 5 times an episode.

Last edited:
1. Slings & Arrows - Canadian TV Show about Performing Shakespeare (much better and funnier than it sounds)
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer - 'Nuff Said
3. The West Wing - This would beat buffy if it hadn't gotten so bad in its fifth and sixth seasons. Seven was an improvement, but the first four seasons are wonderful
4. Arrested Development - My favorite television comedy ever...
5. Veronica Mars - I think I was going to update this once before and never got a chance, because I definitely remember putting VM on this list at some point. Nevertheless, I LOVE this show. Great Mystery, Great Drama, just overall... Pretty ****ing great.
6. Dead Like Me - Fantastic show about Grim Reapers starring Mandy Patinkin
7. Firefly - Had this series continued, i am positive it would have surpassed even Buffy... But as it is, this show is still brilliant.
8. Lost - Having Finally caught up, I definitely have to say that this show really deserves to be on my top ten list... But because of the lackluster season two, I can't honestly put it any higher on my list.
9. Scrubs - Absurd Hospital Comedy. Zach Braff is adorable. Recently it hasn't been up to its own standards, but all of the great episodes outweigh the bad ones.
10. Venture Bros. - The Crown Jewel of the Adult Swim line-up, in this man's oppinion. It's just a brilliant, fantastic show.
11. Weeds - If only for Mary Louise Parker...
12. Everwood - I can't really explain my love for this series. Its sappy and adorable and makes me feel good, so just shut up and deal with it. (also: used to be reaaally attracted to Gregory Smith)
13. Frasier - Frasier had its weak moments, I can't deny that, but its still probably the most intelligent mainstream TV show that I've ever run into that maintains that level of brilliant comedy... Add a nigh-perfect cast to all that... And yeah. Definitely one of the best TV shows I've ever seen.
14. 30 Rock - This will be on the top ten list if it can sustain its awesomeness through a second season. (I know i'm breaking my own one season rule, but that is how much I love this show)
15. Friends - The most classic Sitcom of the nineties, funny and important (in the sense that anything that follows a sitcom format in this day and age is in some way following Friends' example)
16. Daria - The Best Animated Series of the Nineties, in my oppinion. Perfect social satire of the High School scene.
17. How I Met Your Mother - This hasn't quite hit the Classic status that Friends did, but its getting there slowly but surely... The cast is great, its funny as hell, and somehow it still follows all of the "rules" of a sitcom.
18. Batman: The Animated Series - This show quite simply redefined Batman for my generation, and when it was good, it was ****ing amazing.
19. Grey's Anatomy - Shut up. I hate that I like this show as much as I do... But its damn good acting, and I love everything about it other than its main character.
20. Entourage - This show isn't perfect, but I still love it dearly...
21. The Office (American) - I like the original just fine, but the whole uncomfortable humor thing has never quite been my favorite... The American show has by now become its own thing entirely. Its hilarious and sad all at once... And Season Three brought the pinacle of the show so far - Harold Ramis' "Benihana Christmas".
22. Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip - I can put this show on here honestly because of the Cancellation (I will not put anything on this list that I've only seen one season of, because if it can't hold together past Season one, its not a great show... otherwise Desperate Housewives season one would be in my top ten)... Its better than Sports Night because of the show's moments of Greatness, but unfortunately it took too long for Sorkin to figure out how to hit those moments of greatness, and there is too much bad mixed in with the good to really be a "Great" TV show.
23. Sports Night - Aaron Sorkin's pre-West Wing show... Its a show about a Sports show that has nothing to do with Sports. Especially when it pulled together during the Second Season (and dropped the forced Laugh Track), this show had a hell of a lot of potential... But it never quite lived up to what it could have been (a lot like Studio 60, actually)
24. Justice League Unlimited - This loses points for taking a season to really get fantastic, and then puttering out a bit in the third season... But the Second Season is ****ing AMAZING.
25. Nip/Tuck - Totally shameless Soap-Opera quality stories with much better writing than it deserved... The first two seasons would have placed the series much higher in my book, but the Third Season left me so uninterested in the series that I dont think i'll ever pick up the fourth.

SHOWS THAT COULD EVENTUALLY BE ON THE LIST -
1. Heroes - It all depends on how the handle the story from here on. It could REALLY go either way at this point.
2. Deadwood - Need to finish the first season, then the second, and the third, but I ****ing love it... I think it'll probably make the top 15, if not the top 10.
3. Sopranos - I am somewhere in the second season, but am kind of holding off until I can pick up a full series Box Set and really go at it, but from what I've seen so far, this is probably going to be in the top five.
4. Queer as Folk - Its suprisingly good in parts, and surprisingly bad in others, I still need to finish all the seasons to see where I'd put it on the list.
5. MASH - I need to work through this show at some point, but what i've seen of it, I have loved.

I completely agree with the one-plus-season or bust rule, which is why I omitted Heroes from my original list, but rewatching it now, I've decided it can be an exception, because it's done so much more in one season, hell, HALF a season, than most shows have done in their entire run.

The American Office will probably be on my list at some point. I've only seen the first 8 or so episodes, plus another 3 or 4 randomly, and it's definitely something I bet I'll love when I see it all properly. It's also my best friend's favourite show, and we have fairly similar tastes.

I hate Heroes. It pisses me off so much. It would be in my Top Ten Disappointing TV Shows of all time list.

I had to split this into two lists. First: 10 shows that have finished, in which I take into account their over-all stories, effect on my life, and over-all quality.

Top Ten Shows that are DONE:

10: Animaniacs: One of the best and brightest children's shows of all time!
9: The X-Files: A show that kept asking "what if" incorperating innovative story-telling with classic horror/suspense/supernatural motifs.
8: The Tick (Animated Series): A cartoon that embraced Ben Edlund's genius super-hero parody world with stories that managed to navigate the fine line between genious and stupidity.
7: Veronica Mars: Equal parts teen drama and noir mystery, this show managed to create a number of fascinating mysteries.
6: Arrested Development: This show is SO FUNNY. That's all.
5: Star Trek: The Next Geneation: It embraced universe-building in a way the Original never did, but maintained much of its social awareness.
4: Buffy the Vampire Slayer The show that made TV on DVD a way of life for me.
3: Freaks and Geeks: Almost the best show that never got a second season. A teen drama that actually looks at the outsiders rather than the insiders.
2: Angel: Whedonverse does Noir: the best character development on TV happened here (Wesley Wyndam-Price) as well as perhaps the best series finale ever.
1: Firefly: It reivented 2 genres, lives on in the lives of its fans long after it's death, and did it with unkown actors on a channel that never understood what it had. Proof that Joss Whedon is NOT a one-trick pony.

Now: 10 shows that are currently on the air that I enjoy, taking into account their runs so far, the promise for the future they hold, and the way they currently impact my life.

10: Modern Marvels: My old standby when flipping channels, trying to decide what to watch.
9: Monk: A great comedy that combines new humor with classic detective skills.
8: The Shield: A reivention of Cop Shows, with a wonderful sense of style, perfect cast, and any number of characters for all types of people to root for.
7: Smallville: While I have started "DVD-waiting" this show due to its time-slot, it has yet to leave me cold. Two seasons ago, it would have been higher on this list.
6: Lost: With one of the most gripping 1st seasons ever, I don't know that this show has fully lived up to its potential. The over-all plot is awesome, leaving me wanting more everytime, but the pacing of individual episodes seems designed for people who watch it all together on DVD, not week-by-week viewers.
5: So You Think You Can Dance: Yes, it is a talent show. The feedback it gives is constructive, and by watching this show, I learn much about dance appreciation. This show does what American Idol tries to do, but it does it well. I watch it live and I vote weekly.
4: Survivor I don't think of this as Reality TV so much as I think of it as a game-show that lasts an entire season. The game-theory and strategy is amazing and the game-design regularly excites me. I watch it with all of my friends--it has become a social event.
3: Beauty and the Geek: This social experiment never ceaces to amaze me: it shows off the true strengths of Geek culture, giving the beauties a chance to learn how real people relate to each other and act, while giving the geeks enough confidence to show the rest of the world how genuine, intelligent individuals are worth having around. This show, when on, becomes the topic of conversation among my friends.
2: Heroes: The first season kept me entertained, rarely disappointed me, and left me begging for more. The addition of Kristen Bell in a recurring role and the promise of Kevin Smith writing/directig the Origins episodes for the break has left me begging for more.
1: How I Met Your Mother: I would have included Friends on the first list if I had never seen this show. The life of these friends is so close to my own personal experiences and the way my friends interact. I identify with the characters, especially Marshall and Ted, and love to see what will come next in their life. Unlike so many prime-time shows, this show is founded on a fundementally positive premise: True Love exists, it's worth working for, and it's worth talking about. The narrator has already gotten the girl--and we get to see how it happened. Genious.

2: Heroes: The first season kept me entertained, rarely disappointed me, and left me begging for more. The addition of Kristen Bell in a recurring role and the promise of Kevin Smith writing/directig the Origins episodes for the break has left me begging for more.

I hate you, yet...

1: How I Met Your Mother: I would have included Friends on the first list if I had never seen this show. The life of these friends is so close to my own personal experiences and the way my friends interact. I identify with the characters, especially Marshall and Ted, and love to see what will come next in their life. Unlike so many prime-time shows, this show is founded on a fundementally positive premise: True Love exists, it's worth working for, and it's worth talking about. The narrator has already gotten the girl--and we get to see how it happened. Genious.

I love you. That's why I love this show, you already know the guy got the girl, and here's just how he did it.

I love how the make reference to future episodes in it. There was one with the 28th birthday of Ted, and he mentions that on his 30th he had a goat in his bathroom. I can't wait for that explanation

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back