Top Ten Greatest Television Shows of All Time

Heroes, I just can't get into it. The commercials make it moreso annoying. If I hear that asian kid go YATTA! in front of that obviously fake background of NYC, im gonna shoot somebody. However, Peep Show, The office, Brit and american (i hear there's a french and german too) and arrested development are all awesome. Reba is also funny.

Lost (Choices 1-10). Don't watch all that much television, but this show is like watching a free movie. Not just every season, but every week.

My current top 10 greatest shows:

10.) The Office- It's a great comedy show. Steve Carrell is awesome.

9.) 30 Rock- Awesome. How can it not be in a Top 10?

8.) Family Guy- This show makes me laugh every time. I love it.

7.) Scrubs- One of my favorites indeed. I watch the reruns almost religiously.

6.) Lost- A super great show that I'm sad I didn't get into right away when it began.

5.) Prison Break- An incredible show that has intresting intense moments every minute. Acting is great as is the writing of the show.

4.) Monk- Tony Shaloub is a damn genius. A detective show with a detective that's afraid of so much and makes you laugh about it. Plus with a great supporting class, this show is a must-see.

3.) Eureka- Incredible. Hilarious. Colin. Ferguson. Need I say more? Ok. A science fiction show that's about smart people making weapons for the government in their own secret town, how can hilarity not ensue? With having a sheriff that's of average intelligence in a genius town, you can always expect something to bust your laugh gut.

2.) Psych- If it wasn't for HIMYM, this show would be #1. This show has the best casting I've seen next to HIMYM, and it's constantly funny! Every episode is one hell of an awesome adventure that leaves you craving for more. James Roday is perfect as Shawn. NO ONE could do better. And having Dule Hill play Gus is just pure smart. With the attitude of their characters together make this a perfect combination.

1.) How I Met Your Mother- If you haven't seen this show, WATCH IT NOW. Go! Buy season 1 on DVD. Also buy season 2 on October 2nd. Make sure you recorded the first two episodes of season 3 to watch them afterwards. Then come back and thank me. HIMYM has been one of the best comedies in years. It's original, it's great, and I can't get enough of this show. The best cast I have seen for a show, the great lines written for this show! I can't remember any other show I keep talking about to friends. I repeat so much of this show I basically recite the episodes line by line. I hooked my brother and friend in this show, and they recognize the AWESOMENESS that is HIMYM. So watch it. It's gonna be LEGENDARY!!

Honerary mentions:

Stargate: Atlantis- Another great show from Sci-Fi. I always liked Stargate: SG1 more, but this is also good to see.

Fosters Home of the Imaginary
My Name is Earl

Last edited:
1. The Venture Bros. - If this show isn't in your top ten you are a depraved psychotic that should be removed from polite society. I never thought they could match the first season, but the second one surpassed it. The third season might just be the greatest thing in the history of ever.

2. The Colbert Report - 4 nights a week he makes me laugh my *** off. His recent wrist injury and subsequent drug addiction reminded me of why I originally got so hooked on this show. Bears. Godless killing machines and a hilarious running gag. If you don't love this show you're dead to me. And if you're dead to me you're going up on the big board!

3. Cowboy Bebop - My favorite anime of all time. In fact, it's the only tv show I've ever gone out and bought entirely on DVD.

4. Angel - Only one Whedon show makes my top ten. So why this one? One word: Wesley. His character development from when he joined the cast to his death was fantastic.

5. South Park - It had a few off years, but overall this is one of the funniest shows of all time.

6. FLCL - Only six episodes long, but fantastic.

7. Justice League/ Justice League Unlimited - The Cadmus arc was brilliant. And even some of the stand alone episodes are classics.

8. Married With Children - The first show that I ever considered appointment viewing. Al was my hero as a kid. Which explains a lot...

9. Arrested Development - It makes me weep to think how long I missed this series. It was nearly cancelled by the time I hopped on board the bandwagon. But thanks to a friend's DVDs I've now seen the magic of AD.

10. Fullmetal Alchemist - Love this show. But it lost points when I started reading the manga and realized that the manga is better.

Honorable Mentions - Rescue Me, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Firefly, Avatar: The Last Airbender, One Piece, Naruto.

If I had to choose two honorable mentions they'd be Flight of the Conchords and Entourage. Easily some of the best comedies on television right now.

10. Tales From the Crypt- how could you not like that guy.

9. It's Always Sunny in Philidelphia- funny funny

8. South Park- too many years of great humor

7. Family Guy- no explanation needed

6. Ren & Stimpy- grew up with this show

5. My Name is Earl- Rednecks are just plain funny

4. Prison Break- great show

3. The Simpsons- so so random

2. Lost- even though they keep killing off my favorite characters

1. Oz- If you ever seen this show you would know know why its number 1. Best acting and writing I have ever seen on a show.

Last edited:
1. Angel. With the final two seasons of this show, Angel surpassed its parent show. Whedon's shows were always gonna feature prominently in my lists, and it was just a case of which one went where!
2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Coming in at number two, the original Whedon. The Genre Reinventor. The Classic.
3. Heroes. I love this show. I know it gets some serious polar results on this forum at least and seems to be very love it or hate it... and I love it!
4. Firefly. Topping off the Whedon shows is another classic. It was a tragedy to not continue it.
5. Stargate SG-1. One of the longest running Sci-fi shows EVER, and well deserved. Funny, action packed and with a great cast.
6. How I Met Your Mother. I want to be Barney. He is my god.
7. Stargate Atlantis. Another great show following SG-1's great tradition, took me a while to get into, but it is a fantastic show.
8. Scrubs. I love this show, Dr Cox is my idol along with Barney.
9. Family Guy. I love the pure randomness that this show provides, constantly funny.
10. South Park. For a show that started out as fart jokes and crudity, it has really grown into a truly funny show.

The American Office will probably be on my list at some point. I've only seen the first 8 or so episodes, plus another 3 or 4 randomly, and it's definitely something I bet I'll love when I see it all properly. It's also my best friend's favourite show, and we have fairly similar tastes.

I've watched the first two seasons of it now, and the 3rd is on its way from amazon(hopefully arriving tomorrow). I'm not sure what my new list would look like, but The Office is definitely in the Top-5 and probably even Top-3.

My Top-6 would be a combination of Lost, The Simpsons, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development and Friends, but it's pointless to try and order them. I'm even iffy about a #1.

I've watched the first two seasons of it now, and the 3rd is on its way from amazon(hopefully arriving tomorrow). I'm not sure what my new list would look like, but The Office is definitely in the Top-5 and probably even Top-3.

My Top-6 would be a combination of Lost, The Simpsons, The Office, Scrubs, Arrested Development and Friends, but it's pointless to try and order them. I'm even iffy about a #1.

Wow. It really is amazing how much we're alike.

:shock:

:D

I have to do this soon. But, I don't want to just do a list of shows in the last ten years. For example, yes, Buffy and Angel will be on my list, likely as one show, but I also plan on putting All in the Family up there. I'll have to give thought to the other eight. I'm also going to omit shows that were less then a season long (No Firefly, for example), as I don't believe an incomplete series can really compare to other, complete series.

Last edited:
Decided to redo my list. WWE will not make this list as I'll count it as Sports and If I add that I need to add the world cup ect...

My favourites
  1. Dawson's Creek
  2. Angel
  3. Buffy
  4. Only Fools and Horses
  5. DragonBall Z
  6. Roswell
  7. Futurama
  8. Simpsons
  9. Frasier
  10. Batman TAS

There were shows I wanted to mention like scrubs , Smallville , Friends but Scrubs season 6+7 has knocked that from my list , smallville seasons 5+ has knocked that off my list and friends when down hill drastically after season 4

Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip and Heroes almost made my list but I think they are too new to judge , if in a couple of years they stand the test of time I'll add them.

And I know some listed had a bad season e.g Roswell season 3 , Dawson's Creek season 6 and angel season 5 but they were just one season (I still love the simpsons before someone says that's had bad seasons) and they added something cool e.g Roswell season 3 gave us the graduation episode , Dawson's creek season 6 showed us Joey Picks Pacey in the end and Angel season 5 had some funny scenes and the amazing episode Destiny.

I just read over this whole thread....

I can't adequately describe the disgust I feel when people claim anything created by Joss Whedon is in the Top 10 Greatest Shows of all time.

Latest posts

Back