Ultimate Annuals previews (several merged threads)

ourchair said:
That actually makes a lot of sense. Cool.

But I think it'd be more interesting if what would essentially be an Ultimate Hulkbusters (With Added Defenders Stomping Action!) was under the command of someone other than Fury. Millar seems to be going with geopolitical angst within the Ultimate Universe, sure but as much as Fury and the Ultimates are facing the rising wave of "superhuman envy" that is the source of many non-American nations' insecurities, I doubt that is what Fury concerns himself with.

Sure, Fury cares about the kind of PR the Ultimates generates, but policing the world's superhumans doesn't seem to be as important to him as say making sure crazy nurses don't eff up the superhuman projects of his European allies and trying to justify the 500-billion dollar budget needed to support the Ultimates.

Right, when I came up with that idea, I put that into consideration,too. I figure that, with all of these characters Millar wants to have the Ulimates come out on top as the villains or people just doing what the United States is asking them... Public servants. Now that the Hulk is out and running and the public are paying more attention to them than ever before, there may be more room for more heroes because they've got more enemies now and they will have more options to see who is now at fault, you know? They've got a mess to clean up here and they won't do it without ruffling feathers.

Goodwill said:
I figure that, with all of these characters Millar wants to have the Ulimates come out on top as the villains or people just doing what the United States is asking them... Public servants.
I'm not sure if I buy that. I don't think Millar would really let the entire team of Ultimates come across as villains, nor would Marvel editorial let him completely get away with that.

My suspicion is that Millar is going to redeem the team anyway by the end, if only because it seems like his trademark to have his protagonists undergo a lot of manipulation or insecurity, like say Wesley Gibson from Wanted or Jodi Christianson from Chosen, before they truly "find themselves" and Millar is respectful enough to Marvel characters in general to be able to make them look noble while still being able to "question their nature". Having a cake full of trademark Millar nutsness doesn't preclude him serving you a respectful fanboy cake as well.

As such, the Ultimates will probably end up redeeming themselves, once they realize they've crossed the line from a "homeland security" team to an international superhuman policing body.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm sick of defending The Ultimates and Fury's intentions... I wish people would trust the good guys.

I TRUST THEM!!!!! :D

For me, it's not that I distrust, them I just see them acting more realistically than they do in 616. This is something of a political theme in the Ultimates and any title that they appear in and, to those who find that what George W. Bush doing the wrong thing in Iraq, could draw comparisons from Nick Fury's decisions, too. It's simple.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm sick of defending The Ultimates and Fury's intentions... I wish people would trust the good guys.
DUDE. As much as I disagree with you very often, you KNOW I'm totally pro-Fury ON TOP of being pro-Daredevil. Hell, I just defended Fury!

ourchair said:
DUDE. As much as I disagree with you very often, you KNOW I'm totally pro-Fury ON TOP of being pro-Daredevil. Hell, I just defended Fury!
I know you defended him I was just adding to it. I'm mostly carrying it on from other sites. Many, many people are just waiting and hopeing for the American Government to be the bad guys in this comic.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I know you defended him I was just adding to it. I'm mostly carrying it on from other sites. Many, many people are just waiting and hopeing for the American Government to be the bad guys in this comic.

Like I said, they are the villains, according to the public. This is even evident in the most recent USM... We've got a reporter grilling Fury what the Ultimates' purpose is. Now, you see, this is how misinterpreted the government is, but it's not like they are going to have a "tell all" for the public to prove that Roswell happened, they've gotten Osama, etc. People don't like the government because we don't know about the government.

Off-topicness removed. Back on topic.

Juggernaut's motives are revealed... Cool! Now can we have our own discussion on this topic? Also, are the X-Men in it? The synopsis implied that, like USM, the Annual will have lasting implications on this title.

Vaughn answered over in his boards faq thead that the annuals will be around 40 pages of story. I think the average monthly is 22 pages, so it will be like a two issue story. He also mentioned the Bendis Spidey annual is awesome. Does anyone think we'll actually see these every year? I hope so!

ultimatekramer said:
Does anyone think we'll actually see these every year? I hope so!
I hope so too. But I think the only way annuals can be justified is if there's a commitment to make special events out of them, or at least divide them up into one twenty plus page story with special mini-story backups like the annuals of old.

Millar enthustically claims that the annuals are supposed to be special events, and I believe him with regards to these annuals. I'm just not sure if they can seriously deliver on these every year, since few people in Marvel Editorial seem tenured enough for me to believe they'll be here ten years from now.

Well, as for Ultimate commitments... We've had letter pages fall apart and the promise of the conclusion to the Geldoff loose end and we haven't seen either. The creative teams really have to put their heads together to really answer that one.

Ultimate Annuals question

I don't live near a comic shop so I get mine through subsrciptions. Will I get the Annuals through mail?

Random said:
I don't live near a comic shop so I get mine through subsrciptions. Will I get the Annuals through mail?
Pretty sure the answer to that is a big n-o. The annuals are a one-shot equivalent of things like Ultimate War and Ultimate Six. While technically part of the four ongoing series, they're still technically separate, and have their own (higher) price.

Yeah. They won't come. I get a subscription, too, and almost missed Ultimate War because I thought it would be coming with the X-Men subscription I have, but it never showed up. Nothing special comes with the subscriptions. You get that particular title and that's it.

Random said:
Damn now I have to wait until it shows up on Barnes and Noble

Or try eBay or any of a number of online retailers (Midtown, Mile High).

Or possibly some really super nice fellow UCer will be able to pick up copies and mail them to you.

Latest posts

Back