Ultimate Celebrity Status...

I really like how the Fantastic Four went public.

It was an accident. I don't know how it happened with the 616 FF, but I thought it was cool that it was an accident that they became publically known. They had no intention of using their powers other than scientific purposes and now they were thrust into a position where they have to combat evil with it. I think that's brilliant.

Yes, but they are reluctant celebrities... I like that this stuff won't come easy for even Johnny or Ben, who seem to bask in their own fame. This'll be interesting; I wonder if Millar will touch on it at all.

UltimateE said:
I agree. Only Ben will have a problem. Johnny will love it, Sue will use it to further her whole agenda, and Reed could care less as long as he can do his thing. The Thing... might have a bit of a problem but Alicia is supposed to come up soon so that might make up for it. Reluctant isn't the word you wanted to use though.

I guess I'm equating the fact that these scientists now have super powers, and those powers are usually identified with the costumed super heroes, which these scientists are not. Perhaps Johnny WILL embrass the super hero welcome, but the rest I'm not so sure about. Both Sue and Reed never intended on becoming super heroes, even with the powers, and Ben's not interested in looking like a guy carved from rock, especially to everyone around him. I would like to see this sort of toyed around with, I think it would help with character development, not that we NEED any more from the Four. I thought Ellis handled that pretty well.

Might, should, would, perhaps....Goody your post was not speculative - you said "Yes but they ARE reluctant celebrities". What have they done or said that makes you say that? Because they aren't celebrities at all, much less reluctant ones. I'm not even sure what post you were refering to...

Well, what would you consider them after the incident in Las Vegas? The public must've percieved them as heroes if they whiped out all of the aliens and helped the military by giving them new technology. I think they are going to react differently to their image than they did in 616.

Goodwill said:
Well, what would you consider them after the incident in Las Vegas? The public must've percieved them as heroes if they whiped out all of the aliens and helped the military by giving them new technology. I think they are going to react differently to their image than they did in 616.

Without seeing real reactions, I wouldn't consider them anything any different than before.

UltimateE said:
Without seeing real reactions, I wouldn't consider them anything any different than before.
I think what Goodwill means is that while the circumstances of them getting popular may be no different from how their 616 counterparts accumulated fame through numerous victories...

...They are clearly different in personality from te 616 Four, and as such will accept their fame in a wholly different manner. In fact, the 616 Four have been used to their fame for so long that it seems like they hardly take note of it unless it can provide an interesting source of humor within the story.

ourchair said:
I think what Goodwill means is that while the circumstances of them getting popular may be no different from how their 616 counterparts accumulated fame through numerous victories...

...They are clearly different in personality from te 616 Four, and as such will accept their fame in a wholly different manner. In fact, the 616 Four have been used to their fame for so long that it seems like they hardly take note of it unless it can provide an interesting source of humor within the story.

Tha'ts fine, and I understand - I'm just trying to get him out of the "they're handling it differently" mindset and more in the "they'll PROBABLY handle it differently" mindset. :wink:

Goodwill said:
You know I'm never good at making points, E. Sorry.

No need to apologize - that's not what I was on about anyway. I just wanted to help you clear up a misconception in your head so it doesn't cause problems for you reading the book in the future.

Alright, thanks for looking out for me. Reading the UFF is like reading a title with completely new characters for me. Until now, I wasn't really familiar with all of this stuff with Reed and the gang, let alone Mad Thinker (If that's even her name), Doom, and Annihulus...

Latest posts

Back