Ultimate Comics: Ultimates by Jonathan Hickman (spoilers)

I have to say, I read Hickman's ULTIMATES before I read FALL-OUT, and with the exception of the bad guy being Reed, there was nothing in FALL-OUT that wasn't evident in the first issues.

The set up for Ultimates in UFallout incude:
Why the Norse gods live on earth (although that was barely addressed in Fallout)
Why Captain America isn't there
Tony Stark's involvement in the Kratos Club
and, as you mentioned, Reed making it back from the N-Zone and beginning construction on the dome with the children of tomorrow.

I'm also wondering how Spider-Girl got to be on the team. She's just with them all of a sudden.

But I think this is just an opening arc. There's no real need to introduce most of the characters, we know them already. Hickman opened with fast paced action and that's okay. I just hope that after this arc is concluded, we get a little more interaction between the team.

Last edited:
I always forget whether I read the latest issue or not.

This probably isn't a good thing.

It's not. I'm with you on that. The problem is that Hickman is writing a very long story and isn't creating false cliffhangers to end each issue. The good thing is that it reads properly as a story, and builds naturally and is more enjoyable to read. The bad thing is that in a serial format, you forget where you were every month.

I'm glad it's not just me; I had this same problem on Fantastic Four, and it wasn't because the writing is poor - not in the least. It's just that there's a lot going on and it stretches way out.

I'm sure I would have had the same problem on Grant Morrison's Batman run, or his New X-Men, or his Seven Soldiers if I had tried to read those issues as they came out instead of all at once after the fact.

I have no idea how on earth they are going to defeat Reed without pulling a complete Deus Ex Machina out of their ass.
He has already beaten the gods of asgard. The strongest Ultimates could to nothing against him (no way Cap could make a difference at this point).
Even pitching him against the Eternals/Celestials somehow would seem contrived. He has had a 1000 years to prepare. He is now a bigger threat than Ultimate Doom ever was.
Seriously, the set-up has totally gone over the edge. No way the pay-off can possibly live up to it.
Where on earth is Hickman taking this!?!?

THAT'S why it's compelling! :p

If he can't pull it off, it will suck. But if Reed was easily defeatable, the story would have no drama at all. This way, we're going, "How how how HOW are they going to beat this guy?!" and if he pulls it off, YAY!

Last edited:
I thought issue six was the best issue I've read thus far.

It helped that Captain Britain looks EXACTLY like one of my friends on the cover. I got him to sign it.

Last edited:
I have no idea how on earth they are going to defeat Reed without pulling a complete Deus Ex Machina out of their ass.
He has already beaten the gods of asgard. The strongest Ultimates could to nothing against him (no way Cap could make a difference at this point).
Even pitching him against the Eternals/Celestials somehow would seem contrived. He has had a 1000 years to prepare. He is now a bigger threat than Ultimate Doom ever was.
Seriously, the set-up has totally gone over the edge. No way the pay-off can possibly live up to it.
Where on earth is Hickman taking this!?!?

I'm guessing a lead-in to a new Fantastic Four.

THAT'S why it's compelling! :p

If he can't pull it off, it will suck. But if Reed was easily defeatable, the story would have no drama at all. This way, we're going, "How how how HOW are they going to beat this guy?!" and if he pulls it off, YAY!

Another guess here... I suspect that it's either the Ultimates are going to find some old weapon that Doom or Mad Thinker was working on to use against Reed before they died. Or the Tomorrow People are going to see their Maker as out dated and turn on him.

Another guess here... I suspect that it's either the Ultimates are going to find some old weapon that Doom or Mad Thinker was working on to use against Reed before they died. Or the Tomorrow People are going to see their Maker as out dated and turn on him.

man, I hope not. A Deus Ex Machina would suck. The best ending I can think of is that they can't beat him, but they stop the city from expanding. Europe is already destroyed, and most of the Europeans are dead. They might as well let him have Europe.

From Fury's examination of the globe in #6 I can't help but think his plan is to engineer a war between the people of tomorrow and Reed's city in the hope of them wiping each other out.

It's also really weird that Reed is immortal and actually over 1000 years old.

While I'm enjoying the series, I am really jarred whenever I become aware that this is supposed to be Reed Richards, Thor, Iron Man, etc. Feels like some creator-owned scifi epic. (Not that it's a bad thing, mind.)

I like how hickman is getting rid of some of millar's poorer ideas.
"yeah, the hulk pills? They don't work. Everyone died."

And she-hulk is mentioned. I guess they didnt completely forget about her.

I don't really like how Reed goes from "just leave us alone and we wont bother you" to "Another super power on the other side of the planet!? There is only room for one! ATTACK!!"

To be fair, he didn't do anything until he saw Fury cavorting with Z/Xorn, and figured he was trying to start ****.

I'm really digging this Ultimates. I don't even know when the title was this good last...maybe just before Grand Theft America?

Latest posts

Back