Ultimate Doom Discussion

I like the idea of Reed and Ben being friends who are now enemies. It's a very nice relationship for them to have; that they used to be friends, and in a bizarre way, still are because of their shared history.

Just like Doom and Reed.

Makes me wonder why you'd get rid of Doom if you're going to replace it with the exact same set-up. There's nothing different about Reed/Ben that Doom/Reed couldn't have. I don't see the point at all.

The Ultimate Universe is hilarious.

I like the idea of Reed and Ben being friends who are now enemies. It's a very nice relationship for them to have; that they used to be friends, and in a bizarre way, still are because of their shared history.

Just like Doom and Reed.

Makes me wonder why you'd get rid of Doom if you're going to replace it with the exact same set-up. There's nothing different about Reed/Ben that Doom/Reed couldn't have. I don't see the point at all.

Ultimate Reed and Victor were never really friends. Reed might have felt that way at one point. But Victor was really to full of himself to view anyone as his equal. This new set up between Reed and Ben seems a little more like Clark and Lex from Smallville.

So many incoherences in this story!
12 issues for that... what a mess.

Sandoval is a good artist, but wow, he must check other ultimate books before drawing his own (Johnny with blond hair, a circle instead of a spider on the back of Spidey, Wasp (Janet), Thor, old Iron Man armor, Cap's shield with wrong colors,...).
And thanks to Bendis:
Now SHIELD soldiers talk like the aliens.
When you are 18 years old, you have seen all and it's the good time to get married.
And.. the magic eye!

So many incoherences in this story!
12 issues for that... what a mess.

Sandoval is a good artist, but wow, he must check other ultimate books before drawing his own (Johnny with blond hair, a circle instead of a spider on the back of Spidey, Wasp (Janet), Thor, old Iron Man armor, Cap's shield with wrong colors,...).
And thanks to Bendis:
Now SHIELD soldiers talk like the aliens.
When you are 18 years old, you have seen all and it's the good time to get married.
And.. the magic eye!

Well, to be fair, the circle on Spidey's back only appeared on the splash-page. In all the other panels he has the spider.
Still, there is no excuse for these mistakes. Especially Cap's shield missing the star in one panel. That's just screams 'rushed art'.

And marrying at 18 isn't as unheard of in the states as it is here in Europe. It's not common, but it happens.
(I kinda associate teenage weddings with the southern states though. I don't know how many New Yorkers marry at 18. Any resident American wanna shed some light on the whole phenomenon? )

Last edited:
ProjectX2 said:
The Ultimate Universe is hilarious.

Not quite the word I'd have chosen but you're right.

I read through the entire trilogy last night and...I'm having trouble coming up with the words to describe it. It's a mess. It's not bad like Ultimate Power or Ultimates 3 bad, but it's still bad.

The trilogy concept and the way the books were separated made no sense at all. and half of the issues could have been cut out and we wouldn't have lost any story.

The things that happened were non events. I just don't understand what this was supposed to accomplish. Sue and Ben as a couple? Reed as a bad guy? Jessica Drew as a SHIELD agent? It required 12 issues to do this? It made sense to tie them all into one event?

Bendis is so unbelievably disappointing.

I forgot there was a second part to it. I don't even understand why it couldn't just be called ULTIMATE DOOM and just be 12 issues long. Ah, it's just terrible stuff.

Cause a trilogy is cooler.

You come back and this is your contribution?

41787_214277156210_9019_n.jpg

Really disappointed with this series. I still had no idea until the end what happened that caused Reed to go off the deep end. I liked turning Reed into a big bad, but there was nothing really clear on how it happened even with the flashbacks. Everything was a mess. It seems that the Jessica Drew/Doc Ock part was just stuck into the storyline and apparently Rick Jones' main purpose was teleporting them away from danger?

Basically it appears that especially with Reed's face getting badly scarred that they are just building him up to be the new Dr. Doom, but that's it. I felt that the decision to turn this in a trilogy ruined it as Bendis wanted Reed's revelation at the end of Ultimate Mystery caused him to rush everything in Ultimate Doom.

So he killed his entire family? Wow, that's harsh. I mean, I know that his dad was an *ss, but did he hate his mom and his siblings that much?

So he killed his entire family? Wow, that's harsh. I mean, I know that his dad was an *ss, but did he hate his mom and his siblings that much?

Reed had gone off the deep end... Crazy doesn't need to make sense, just ask Ice.

Reed had gone off the deep end... Crazy doesn't need to make sense, just ask Ice.

Reed wasn't bat-**** insane, which is what you're referring to. There should've been a believeable and natural progression from old goody-two shoes Reed to the one who killed his family and countless others. There wasn't even a good reason for killing his family. It was mere shock value, which at this point has no real value at all.

There's no point in trying to justify anything that goes on in the Ultimate universe anymore. Characters die for no reason. Put simply, the books just suck now. The editors are laughing at the fact that people still buy this junk.

Bendis does this all the time though. People go crazy and this means that they just do mad things. Goblin, Daredevil, Reed - everyone goes crazy.

Bendis does this all the time though. People go crazy and this means that they just do mad things. Goblin, Daredevil, Reed - everyone goes crazy.

But it seems that with every Ultimate crossover storyline now, no matter who writes it, somebody has to die. Look at when Warren Ellis wrote the Ultimate Galactus Trilogy. No one really major had to die out of nowhere to create the turning point in that story. Now Bendis, Millar, and Loeb are just killing everybody because they have no idea how else to take the Ultimate universe in a new direction.

Latest posts

Back