Ultimate Enemy discussion

Wait...so what's this story about again?

I tried to wiki it and the general idea is that the Ultimate Marvel Universe is under attack by a giant purple people eater. That can't be right.
no it is, two issues of the Ultimate Marvel universe being attacked by a giant purple something.

I pretty much stopped reading the Ultimate line right after Ultimatum, so I'm way behind on this 'verse...but I was looking forward to at least reading Millar's Ultimate Avengers and Bendis' Ultimate Spider-Man and Ellis' Ultimate Iron Man/Wars. But now it sounds like that'd just be a waste.

don't write off USM, it's still really good. I found Ultimate Armor Wars to be pretty bland and Ultimate Comics Avengers to be stupid. I think most people (besides E) are enjoying Spidey, it's split about half and half for the Avengers, and similarly for Armor Wars.

It's so frustrating. This book has done nothing but suck so far. But then they put out these teases about Latveria and I think, maybe it really will tie up loose ends from UMTU!

I know it won't. But I can't help myself!

Man, there is no way to tie up all the loose ends from UMTU.

I don't think this has outright sucked so far. It's been plotless and confusing, but the artwork isn't bad and the dialog is Bendis-solid. I'll bet it's going to be purely forgettable, not good enough to rank with the better Ultimate stuff but not ****ty enough to be a textbook example of how not to write comics.

I don't think this has outright sucked so far. It's been plotless and confusing, but the artwork isn't bad and the dialog is Bendis-solid. I'll bet it's going to be purely forgettable, not good enough to rank with the better Ultimate stuff but not ****ty enough to be a textbook example of how not to write comics.

I agree. And my little sister loves it, so if she's happy, I'm happy.

But the fact that it has to be characterized as "Bendis-solid" as opposed to regular solid is enough of a textbook example of how not to write comics.

So, I saw issue 3 on the shelves yesturday and went through it. Yet again, just a huge brawl an Ben starts his socilitated transformation at the end.

As for the next series,
Captain Marh Vehl
returns finally!!!

But the fact that it has to be characterized as "Bendis-solid" as opposed to regular solid is enough of a textbook example of how not to write comics.

I didn't mean that in a negative light. I meant more that it was his usual. Like, if somebody doesn't like Bendis' particular way with words, then they probably will think less of the dialog. I'm fine with it, personally; I hardly think Bendis is a textbook example of how not to write comic books.

so the plot moves forward some in issue 3. I thought it was okay. At least as good as UCSM #9 and certainly better than Ultimate Avengers #6.

so the plot moves forward some in issue 3

Yeah, sort of. I wish there was more substance to it because we haven't really gotten much farther in the story than where we were in the first issue, but what little we have advanced was basically in this issue.

I did find myself trying to figure out what kind of ultimization the monsters were or what Ben's guts glowing might be, so I guess that's good.

And the art is pretty good. Kind of reminds me of Steve McNiven.

The plot does not move forward in #3.

Ben going a bit "weird" is not plot moving forward.

#3 has the characters fighting Purple-Boom-Man. There is no change in the quality of the fighting... at all. It is the exact same fight, continued. Danvers and Fury argue, and nothing happens as a result. There's some pages where the characters talk about what is happening.

This is not a story.

The plot does not move forward in #3.

Ben going a bit "weird" is not plot moving forward.

#3 has the characters fighting Purple-Boom-Man. There is no change in the quality of the fighting... at all. It is the exact same fight, continued. Danvers and Fury argue, and nothing happens as a result. There's some pages where the characters talk about what is happening.

This is not a story.

well it didn't move forward much, but we had two issues of the Big Purple thing attacking different heroes. Period. Now finally in the third issue SHIELD and the other heroes are reacting to the attacks. That's forward motion, or at least motion as opposed to stagnation.

EDIT: By the way, this is my 2099th post

2099Spiderman.gif

Last edited:
well it didn't move forward much, but we had two issues of the Big Purple thing attacking different heroes. Period. Now finally in the third issue SHIELD and the other heroes are reacting to the attacks. That's forward motion, or at least motion as opposed to stagnation.

EDIT: By the way, this is my 2099th post

2099Spiderman.gif

Awesome.

Yeah, here's hoping Ultimate Enemy will have a story.

You mean Ultimate Mystery? I doubt it. Seriously, this mini was almost pointless, with the exception of Ben's "transformation". And somehow, even that managed to come off as completely uninteresting.

I did like the Hawkeye torture scene, but even that had an element of "I can't help but roll my eyes at this ****" going on with it.

I think I'm just Bendis'd out.

Latest posts

Back