Ultimate Extinction #3 (Discussion/Spoilers)

E.Vi.L.

Starts with the fight between Cap, Sam and what turns out not to be Silver Surfer after all. Let's call him Silver Future for the moment.

Cap hit him hard with his Shield, Sam fires at him with a SMG in each hand (After seeing Hawkeye killing people with fingernail, such a mundane feat is almost a relief!). But to no avail. It is very obvious he could have handed their asses to them but he cuts loose with a bolt of lightning and flee the scenes.

Cap puts Misty Knight under arrest and Misty runs her mouth at him all the while until Tiny Stark clears her. Captain Whitey... :lol:

Reed has an idea of how to stop Gah Lak Tus but he finds it obscene to contemplate and is affraid to give it to Fury because he says it's the Ultimate Weapon. Doesn't say what it is but I'm guessing it has something to do with the place where universes are born. It ies in with Nihil (who is mentioned) and Ellis UFF run in the negative zone.

We see that the Silver Future guy has a cult worldwide with a few select image of his logo (Wings) and graffiti proclaiming 'Silver Future' in various cities around the world.

Xavier initiates contact. Right away it turns ugly and a feedback destroys the machine (doesn't seem to seriously hurt Xavier beyond a likely head ache). Xavier says that Gah Lak Thus feels contaminated and desecrated just by having been touch by the mind of a human being. He really hates life.

Gah Lak Tus reacts by firing a missile at earth (targeting the Triskelion). Ironman and Marh Vel take to the sky to intercept.

The missiles turns out to be... the Silver Surfer. With surf and all. He looks a lot like Silver Future but without wings. Down to the same electrical type of powers. The trio fights. Silver Surfer seems tough and the issue ends with SS and Mhar Vel locked in moratl combat.

Art : 3/5
Story : 4/5

This is good stuff.

I wonder how many Silver dudes Gah Lak Tus has at his disposition? And really, how do they fit with him. They are a lifeform of sort... or are they?

Last edited:
Re: Ultimate Extinction 3

Misty's diatribe seemed a bit forced, although I'm not sure why. Also, it would have been nice to see that "silver future" page in an earlier issue - although I suppose I can see the other side of this. Oh, and what the HELL was with four pages of another comic stuck in the MIDDLE of the book?!?! Why can't they have the decency to stick it in the back. I actually bent the staples and removed the insert... (I'm not in this for the money...)

Otherwise, I ate this issue right up. The silver surfer (complete with "board") was awesome - loving the fangs, the lightning and the "liquid metal" skin!
Mar Vehl advising against psychic contact echoed my own concerns for how bad an idea that is, and the Sue & Reed teaser was great.
The art for this series is very appropriate and sets a great mood.
I can't fathom what Reed's going to do, but then I haven't been reading UFF. Any speculation, no matter how baseless?

I think he'll want to find some kind of super science device that will be used to shift Gah Lak Tus into another universe, preferably a dying one like the N-Zone or an even older one.

Basically, it would be the equivalent of sacrificing what's left of an universe to preserve our own. An any gadget that can shift something as huge as Gah Lak Tus can shift oretty much anything. Which would make it an Ultimate Weapon.

That's my best guess, anyway.

The dying universe idea sounds pretty solid, although Reed seemed more interested in new universes being born. That could well just be a "red herring," though.

(Forgot to mention last time that the ending was great. Capt. Marvel is a great character to put in danger. It invokes the "Is he going to be killed like the 616 version?" question...)

It is possible also that through some pseudo sic-fi babble it turns out to be impossible to move something as big as Gah Lak Tus into a lesser universe with less energy. Perhaps he can only be pushed forward into a younger one. That would be atrocious. The cosmic equivalent of sacrificing a child so you can live. But I'm thinking shoving him in the N-Zone is a bit more likely.

Last edited:

What about sending Galactus to the point where all new universes are born? That would neutralize the threat because he'd be constantly devouring life.

Irish_4204 said:
What about sending Galactus to the point where all new universes are born? That would neutralize the threat because he'd be constantly devouring life.

That would be a pretty horrible thing to do, hence making Reed feel bad (as he does), but it doesn't seem to hurt Ga Lak Tus much, does it? Maybe (through more pseudoscience babble) for some reason if he goes there, he blows up? Or maybe a tiny universe can serve as a "bullet"?

E.Vi.L. said:
The missiles turns out to be... the Silver Surfer. With surf and all. He looks a lot like Silver Future but without wings. Down to the same electrical type of powers.

I'm pretty sure its the same guy.

I wonder how many Silver dudes Gah Lak Tus has at his disposition? And really, how do they fit with him. They are a lifeform of sort... or are they?

Again, I'm thinking its the same being, though you could be right and it might be separate entities. But given Surfer can teleport (as shown in the beginning with his fight with Cap and Falcon), is it hard to believe he just teleported back to Gah Lak Tus in time for him to launch him at Earth?

I'm liking the fact the Surfer seems to be a malleable metal, T-1000 style. Interesting to me anyway. Also liked his three sets of teeth (like a shark), as shown as he is about to bite Mahr Vehl's neck on the last page. Yikes!

Great issue, and definitly has me pumped up for the rest of this series.

This one gets a 4/5.

plungingforward said:
The dying universe idea sounds pretty solid, although Reed seemed more interested in new universes being born. That could well just be a "red herring," though.

(Forgot to mention last time that the ending was great. Capt. Marvel is a great character to put in danger. It invokes the "Is he going to be killed like the 616 version?" question...)
I'm guessing the ultimate nullifier, but it'll probaby end up as just one big *** guy

DIrishB said:
"One big *** guy"? Uh...what? I'm hoping I'm misunderstanding you and you aren't expecting this to turn into ****ing Gundam or Voltron or something.
No I meant gun, a big *** GUN. Though a mecha-fury could be interesting

i dig...it looks like we are near seeing an ultimate nullifier from reed that will probably transport gah lak tus to another universe...but yeah, sending it to a younger universe to save ours....yeah, that's pretty messed up. i'm interested in seeing what is going in with ss....could our ss be a hearld gone rogue or something?

DIrishB said:
I'm pretty sure its the same guy.

Again, I'm thinking its the same being, though you could be right and it might be separate entities. But given Surfer can teleport (as shown in the beginning with his fight with Cap and Falcon), is it hard to believe he just teleported back to Gah Lak Tus in time for him to launch him at Earth?

If he can teleport, it would be pretty pointless for him to lauch himself at Earth, allowing the oportunity to be intercepted, wouldn't it? He'd just teleport back.

I don't think he teleported against Cap and Sam. He just moved very fast. For people who move as "sluggishly" as Cap and Sam, there is not much difference between teleportation and near speed of light.

So if it's the same guy, he moved back to Gah Lak Tus then moved again toward Earth but was only detected the second time, which seems unlikely.

Last edited:
I think the "Nullifer" could be a bigger version of what Reed gave Thunderbolt. Maybe. Then again, he did need a reason to be guilty so I'm all for him giving another universe to Gah Lak Tus. I think the N-Zone is most logical because once it dies out Gah Lak Tus is going to have to too.

Dialogue with a lot of the characters didn't seem cool to me this issue. I don't like Misty Knight. I just don't like her. I duno why but I hope she disappears after this mini.

Sam and Cap Vs. Silver Surfer wasn't as interesting as Sam and Cap interacting in combat.

The "Silver Future" scene was awesome.

Charles spazzin' was predictable but somewhat cool.

The double Silver Surfer thing though...? What's going on? Is the one on Earth already a defective one. That's what I'm gonna bank on.

Iron Man + Marh-Vell = coolest Ultimate Team-up ever.

3.5/5

AWESOME. 4.75/5.

My first thought as I was reading it (wihle driving) was that the being we thought was Silver Surfer isn't SS as well, but then I thought about it and thought it very well could be and still be the same guy. Jury's still out on that one, but if he's serving as a herald I don't see any reason why there couldn't be more than one.

I'm also thinking that this ultimate weapon thing has something to do with transporting Gah Lak Tus. I like the idea about sending him to the place where new universes are born, but he did say that it would kill Gah lak Tus. Not to mention that assuming that was done to get him out of the way and not kill him wouldn't/shouldn't make Reed sick to think about it.

Maybe it's the opposite and he transports him to a dying universe where there's nothing...but then again what is so heinous about that that it would make Reed sick?

Good reading, and the art gets better and better. I'm loving this.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't like Misty Knight. I just don't like her. I duno why but I hope she disappears after this mini.
Iron Man + Marh-Vell = coolest Ultimate Team-up ever.
3.5/5

It isn't Misty I dislike, it is how quickly she honks off on Cap and Sam.
"Kiss my black butt, captain whitey?" - where the heck did that come from? Then all that "he missed with two guns" when, she clearly knows her own bullets BOUNCED OFF "Paul."
One could make an argument she has a right to be upset after she's been detained, but when Cap and Falcon first show up, she should be a bit more happy to see them. After her trick with the extinguisher didn't work, it should have been pretty clear the help was welcome.
Otherwise, I'm fine with her.

I agree that Iron Man + Mahr Vehl = great team up
MV is a cool character. I'd like them to do more with him.

EDITED TO ADD --> I also read this while driving. It's a bad habit, I know. I'm trying to quit.

Last edited:
plungingforward said:
EDITED TO ADD --> I also read this while driving. It's a bad habit, I know. I'm trying to quit.

Don't feel too bad; I do the same thing.

On a divided highway in the middle of nowhere, so I'm not totally wreckless, but ya know.

Latest posts

Back