Ultimate Extinction #3 (Discussion/Spoilers)

jtg3885 said:
Maybe they're different models. To borrow Star Wars, the ground-based one is like the Super Battle Droid and the fired one is the E1 battle droid. A bit of reverse evolution from my analogy there... perhaps Gah Lak Tus had used independent AI ones for a while but they weren't the best minions, so GLT started using ones that are basically extensions of his own consciousness.

Right there. :neutral:

You out-geeked us all. You worked in DOS (that's Spanish for 2, kids :heybaby: ) bit-part Star Wars characters in a comparison between comic book characters.

Should we bow now or later? :lol:

jtg3885 said:
Uh... Silver Future could be the name of the cult, not the guy. That this 'Silver' guy is your 'Future' (as the sales pitch) or whatnot. Or the 'Silver' guy knows the 'Future' and can protect you from what's coming.

Well, yeah.

I'll call him the Silver Prophet of the Silver Future if it makes you happy!

;)

My thoughts:

There are two (actually more, but only two in the issue) Silver Surfers. The one on Earth is a renegade Galactus foot-soldier. I have NO idea if that's how it is but I read it like that.

Sending big G into a new universe sounds cool. What was that theory about how the universe was born again? Oh yeah. Big Bang! What would happen if you put G into that? And what would happen to that universe? Hmmmmmmmm...

Two things that pissed me off. When extinction started, I remember hearing we were going to see a totally new take on the Silver Surfer and we weren't going to see an Ultimate Nullifier. This Silver Surfer is almost the exact same ****ing character! This device that we suppose is an interdimensional transporter is an Ultimate Nullifier with different made up physics! What happened to originality? Did ellis just sort of realize he hadn't thought up what these alternatives were going to be, then at crunch time he still had nothing and decided to go with the old stand by?

MaxwellSmart said:
Two things that pissed me off. When extinction started, I remember hearing we were going to see a totally new take on the Silver Surfer and we weren't going to see an Ultimate Nullifier. This Silver Surfer is almost the exact same ****ing character! This device that we suppose is an interdimensional transporter is an Ultimate Nullifier with different made up physics! What happened to originality? Did ellis just sort of realize he hadn't thought up what these alternatives were going to be, then at crunch time he still had nothing and decided to go with the old stand by?
I think they were more focused on not having and gaint guy with a large pink helmet

MaxwellSmart said:

To quote wikipedia about the Nullifier:

"First appearing in Volume 1, Issue #50 of the Fantastic Four comic book, the Nullifier has the ability to completely and utterly eliminate any target the wielder chooses, along with the wielder himself. While its origins are ancient, alien and unknown, it resembles a small, hand-held metallic device with no apparent functionality."

That doesn't remind me of anything remotely close to what I read in UE #3. Letting Gah Lak Tus loose on another universe sounds a lot different from what they did all those years ago in the original FF. As for the Surfer; other than the physical changes, they seem pretty different so far.

Hi there. So the Silver Future is more less like a herold or propagator for the Silver Surfer? I still need to pick up this issue, but from reading issue 1 and 2 this story seems pretty fresh and unique the way the characters are linked rangeing from Xavier to Misty. Good Stuff.

E.Vi.L. said:
Perhaps he can only be pushed forward into a younger one. That would be atrocious. The cosmic equivalent of sacrificing a child so you can live.
plungingforward said:
That would be a pretty horrible thing to do, hence making Reed feel bad (as he does)
Reed isn't feeling sick because he was going to sacrifice a universe or anything, he was feeling sick because what he was planning would be an "ultimate weapon" and he doesn't think he can trust Fury with something so powerful. Because, you know, Fury might wanna dominate the world with it or something.

EDIT: I'll word that better. He wouldn't trust anyone with such a weapon (probably including himself) because such a powerful weapon just shouldn't exist. It's not about not trusting Fury.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
That's not much of an argument because it ignores the obvious fact that artists uses visual cues to show someone teleported just as readily as they do for someone who left in a hurry. We have neither.

He was there and then he wasn't and that's all we've been shown. If anything, the fact that there was a diversion (a blast) just before his disappearance tend to favor the option that he just moved out of sight. That's the 'Ninja' style of disappearing (which is never through teleportation).

I don't think it favors either, honestly. I just assume teleportation is a power of his and it was used. I don't doubt he can move very fast either. Its really kind of a small thing anyway, I was just saying I kind of expect the artist to use a visual clue to point something like that out...unless of course we aren't meant to know specifically yet. Same can be said about whether there is only one or multiple Surfers.

jtg3885 said:
Two Surfers, IMHO. They're not quite identical, and while they're metamorphic creatures made of metal, I think that it can be argued that the different forms indicate two different creatures.

Disagree completely. They look identical for one in my opinion, and considering they're able to morph into more than one form for it to take doesn't dictate two different beings. Not understanding your logic on that one, JTG.

plungingforward said:
The different forms AND (more convincingly, IMHO) the seeming oddity of going all the way back to Ga Lak Tus before turning around and zipping back to earth lend support to the "at least two silver things" theory. I must wonder if either of them tries to help earth out like 616 SS does. I'd rather they all just be creepy automations of the planet killer, but that's just me.

This is why I think he teleported away. When you can teleport, distance isn't an object (well, for some characters anyway...Nightcrawler is a different story). Therefore, it makes perfect sense that he returned to Gah Lak Tus for whatever reason before being launched at Earth. Remember, he was only launched after Professor X made contact with Big G, and Big G took offense at it. Perhaps SS was doing whatever it is he does with Big G and only was launched due to that...it probably wasn't a planned attack. This to me kind of negates the argument of "Well, it doesn't make sense for him to leave Earth and then come all the way back."

vintsukka said:
Reed isn't feeling sick because he was going to sacrifice a universe or anything, he was feeling sick because what he was planning would be an "ultimate weapon".

Yeah, that's actually how I read that, too. I was just speculating along with others to see what we could get out of it.
I actually have no idea what he's going to do (although I think I mentioned here somewhere about maybe detonating a tiny universe in some sort of ultimate nuclear reaction), but I personally don't think it involves simple teleportation, unless it is to somewhere IMMEDIATELY hostile, and even that might not make sense because he says it might 'hurt' big-G and "maybe" even kill it. Whatever the justification, I strongly suspect some sort of grand-scale Kill-O-Zapper.
I just don't know how the train of thought he's on leads there.

Last edited:
DIrishB said:
This to me kind of negates the argument of "Well, it doesn't make sense for him to leave Earth and then come all the way back."

You apparently don't understand that argument very well. The argument isn't that it makes no sense for him to go back and forth if he can. The argument is that it makes no sense to teleport once and travel the second time.

If he teleported back to Gah Lak Tus, he would have come back by teleporting back to earth.

You are saying he teleported back to Gah Lak Tus but chose to travel back to earth.

Makes. No. Sense.

Especially since he couldn't get intercepted while going back to Gah lak Tus (no one fast enough on Earth) but could while coming back to Earth. Therefore, if he were to teleport just once, it should have been while coming back to Earth.

Occam's razor stipulate that you shouldn't multiply needlessly entity (in this case, powers of SS). If he didn't teleport toward Earth, it's safest to assume that it's because he can't.

---

As a side-argument, the need to travel back to Gah Lak Tus assumes that his agents are incapable to communicate with him over distance. Seems unlikely.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
You apparently don't understand that argument very well. The argument isn't that it makes no sense for him to go back and forth if he can. The argument is that it makes no sense to teleport once and travel the second time.

You're assuming a lot with that statement. By that logic it makes no sense for Nightcrawler to ever travel other than by the means of teleporting, yet I've seen him walk, run, jump, etc plenty of times. I understand the argument quite well, EVIL. My point is we don't know anything about the SS or Gah Lak Tus other than they're apparently some bad mamma-jammas. Why was SS launched instead of teleported? I don't know, and neither do you. Does the fact that he was racing toward Earth negate the fact he can teleport and did so after the Cap/Falcon fight? Absolutely not.

If he teleported back to Gah Lak Tus, he would have come back by teleporting back to earth.

Says you. Again, your logic in that seems not only limited but faulty as well. Perhaps he really was hurt in the fight with Cap and Falcon, so teleported to get out of there as fast as possible. Perhaps the only reason he was launched at Earth after Prof. X made contact with Gah Lak Tus was for dramatic build-up by the author as opposed to any of his powers not being used or not being possessed.

You are saying he teleported back to Gah Lak Tus but chose to travel back to earth.

I'm not saying anything. I'm just saying we don't know what he's capable of yet and to say he definitively can't do something is ignorant.

Makes. No. Sense.

Is your imagination that limited? Like I said, maybe he was actually phased or hurt in the fight with Cap and Sam, so got out of there as fast as he could...through teleporting. Maybe Gah Lak Tus was calling him back urgently so he returned that way. Maybe the teleportation effect is limited and can only be used in extreme circumstances. Who the **** knows? But given any of those, it still makes no sense to you? Ok...

Especially since he couldn't get intercepted while going back to Gah lak Tus (no one fast enough on Earth) but could while coming back to Earth. Therefore, if he were to teleport just once, it should have been while coming back to Earth.

Again, your logic is skewed, especially since you have no clue what Gah Lak Tus's motives are other than to suck Earth dry. And you say if he were to teleport just once, it should be on the way to Earth? Why? It seemed he was launched as either a defensive measure or pre-emptive attack (more likely given Prof X only tried to communicate with Big G). Sure, teleporting would be faster in that sense, but again, the dramatic build-up (something author's like to take advantage of) would have been lost...this is what you seem to be overlooking. Sometimes stuff happens in fictional stories not with real-world logic in mind, but merely for dramatic effect.

Occam's razor stipulate that you shouldn't multiply needlessly entity (in this case, powers of SS). If he didn't teleport toward Earth, it's safest to assume that it's because he can't.

Or is limited. Or again, it was merely a tool used by Ellis.

You're reading way too much into this anyway, dude.

As a side-argument, the need to travel back to Gah Lak Tus assumes that his agents are incapable to communicate with him over distance. Seems unlikely.

Again, this is only assuming he traveled back to communicate something. You're not thinking openly here. Like I said, what if he traveled back to heal up, or recharge, or whatever it is he does?

DIrishB said:
Or is limited. Or again, it was merely a tool used by Ellis.

You're reading way too much into this anyway, dude.

My argument is very straightforward. Yours require many additional supposition (maybe he was wounded, maybe his capacities are limited, maybe...)

I'm saying the guy we saw launched at Earth didn't teleport instead because he couldn't. Simplest explanation. You are the one who needs convoluted assumptions to support his theory.

We'll see in a month or so.

Last edited:
E.Vi.L. said:
My argument is very straightforward. Yours require many additional supposition (maybe he was wounded, maybe his capacities are limited, maybe...)

I'm saying the guy we saw launched at Earth didn't teleport because he couldn't. Simplest explanation. You are the one who needs convoluted explanations to support his theory.

Says the guy who wrote this:

He was there and then he wasn't and that's all we've been shown. If anything, the fact that there was a diversion (a blast) just before his disappearance tend to favor the option that he just moved out of sight. That's the 'Ninja' style of disappearing (which is never through teleportation).

It is a straightforward argument, but given the VERY limited amount we know, it seems a bit short-sighted. And you're saying I'm using convoluted explanations when you said he "moved away real fast" instead of teleporting in terms of the fight with Cap and Sam. Given what we saw and the way it was presented in the panels, teleporting seems the more likely explanation...apparently not for you though.

We'll see in a month or so.

Maybe...

Last edited:
innocentboy said:
would Ultimate Vision have the answer if he was fixed by Ultimate Falcon?

Apparently not. He *was* fixed and when he was, he was able to scan the entire Earth, cataloging the Earth's knowledge, accomplishments, etc. He left, telling Sam Wilson that he knew what Earth was capable of and they couldn't even stall Gah lak Tus, much less defeat him.

He had also tried to help past civilizations stop Gah Lak Tus, both by defense and by going on the offensive and attacking it, but none succeeded.

E said:
Apparently not. He *was* fixed and when he was, he was able to scan the entire Earth, cataloging the Earth's knowledge, accomplishments, etc. He left, telling Sam Wilson that he knew what Earth was capable of and they couldn't even stall Gah lak Tus, much less defeat him.

He had also tried to help past civilizations stop Gah Lak Tus, both by defense and by going on the offensive and attacking it, but none succeeded.
:lol: "he" :lol:

:evil: They made Ultimate Vision a chick.... :evil:

In defense of the "One Silver Surfer" theory. I'd say that we know that it only took the Surfer several minutes to get from the big G to Earth. I don't think it would be much a hassle for a badly injured Silver Surfer to return to Gah Lak Tus to recover. Also, who said he teleported away? He just disappeared. He is moving in almost the speed of light and we know that you can't see anything that travels at that speed.

Latest posts

Back