Ultimate Extinction #3 (Discussion/Spoilers)

More and more these days I'm seeing the word balloons placed incorrectly. This issue it was in the panel where Mahr Vehl asks about Conan O'Brien, yet the bubble is coming from Captain America.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't like Misty Knight. I just don't like her. I duno why but I hope she disappears after this mini.
Racist.

I haven't read the issue yet, but I think the trasnporting GLT to another universe would be a great idea. You have to take into consideration that you can't predict the conditions in a different universe, so Gah Lak Tus could very well die the second it makes it there. Seems like a great idea.

The only thing saving this issue from utter boredom was Tony/Mar Vehl vs Silver Surfer.

Other than that I could care less about everything else in this issue. I wish they would end this thing already. I just wanna see if Gah Lak Tus is an actual being or a group of many things with a combined intelligence.

Great issue...

This new turn with Silver Surfer bugs me, though. Is there more than one? If so, that would bother me a great deal... A good twist, but bothersome. I did like the Silver Surfer, though, especially how he morphed and what not from a little egg. Neato.

Captain America and Falcon was weak... I was expecting better. The fight really turned out to be them against Misty Knight, which I didn't much care for. She didn't need to pull the race card and get all stereotypical on us. Just saying.

Reed Richards was probably the most interesting character in all of this issue... He's actually slowly becoming my favorite character in the UU because of the small appearance he had in this issue. He's honestly falling apart here and the complications building in his head is entertaining enough for me.

E.Vi.L. said:
If he can teleport, it would be pretty pointless for him to lauch himself at Earth, allowing the oportunity to be intercepted, wouldn't it? He'd just teleport back.

I don't think he teleported against Cap and Sam. He just moved very fast. For people who move as "sluggishly" as Cap and Sam, there is not much difference between teleportation and near speed of light.

So if it's the same guy, he moved back to Gah Lak Tus then moved again toward Earth but was only detected the second time, which seems unlikely.

Its the same entity, least I still think so. And as far as I'm concerned, he did teleport away from Sam and Cap, not just "moved very fast". If that were the case, I'm sure the artist is competent enough to illustrate a panel showing that, which he didn't...probably for a reason.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The double Silver Surfer thing though...? What's going on? Is the one on Earth already a defective one. That's what I'm gonna bank on.

Thats a possibility, I guess. I really wouldn't like that honestly, however.

Iron Man + Marh-Vell = coolest Ultimate Team-up ever.

Agreed.

ultimatedjf said:
More and more these days I'm seeing the word balloons placed incorrectly. This issue it was in the panel where Mahr Vehl asks about Conan O'Brien, yet the bubble is coming from Captain America.

I noticed that too, but it could have easily been corrected just by extending the little "branch" (couldn't think of a more appropriate term, sorry) from the balloon a bit more. Oh well.

Also.....am I the only one disturbed at the fact that Silver Surfer has like 3 mouths or rows of teeth like a shark or the alien from......well Alien???? :?

You'd say "its kewl that bacon tastes like strawberries" just to spite me.

Anyways......

I just read it again. I find that comics are often better the second or third time around. It gives me achance to look at other stuff that I might not have noticed the first go-round.

Now I'd have to say that this a little cooler.....but Cap just feels outta place. And the fact that they say he's adapting to modern times and talk...remember...this takes place before GTA. So he's still morally upright in it.

I forget what I was talking about.

DIrishB said:
Its the same entity, least I still think so. And as far as I'm concerned, he did teleport away from Sam and Cap, not just "moved very fast". If that were the case, I'm sure the artist is competent enough to illustrate a panel showing that, which he didn't...probably for a reason.

That's not much of an argument because it ignores the obvious fact that artists uses visual cues to show someone teleported just as readily as they do for someone who left in a hurry. We have neither.

He was there and then he wasn't and that's all we've been shown. If anything, the fact that there was a diversion (a blast) just before his disappearance tend to favor the option that he just moved out of sight. That's the 'Ninja' style of disappearing (which is never through teleportation).

The 'you look away one instant and he's gone when you look back' style of disappearance in comics and movies is far more likely to indicate that the target just moved out of sight.

I guess I didn't really think about whether or not this is the same surfer — i was just too busy being in awe of the cool fight. I'm inclined to think they're different. Maybe, as has been suggested, one of them has gone crazy.

I agree that Cap. + Falcon could've done more, considering their 616 history, but this is just a "teaser" for the next Ultimates Annual anyway, right? :lol:
I do like the way the two of them interact.

Still very disappointed with MK's outburst after the fight. If anything, a re-read of the issue only made it seem even MORE out of place, given what's just happened. Although she seemed more sensible later on (if still indignant), I don't know if I can even take her seriously any more. I can't decide if "Captain Whitey" juts out because it sounds so forced/trite, or just because it is in poor taste. Maybe, as they say, it's "a little from column A, a little from column b." (yeah, yeah ... you're a spunky young ethnic gal what takes no guff from any white male... <yawns> we get it...)

Last edited:
Uh... Silver Future could be the name of the cult, not the guy. That this 'Silver' guy is your 'Future' (as the sales pitch) or whatnot. Or the 'Silver' guy knows the 'Future' and can protect you from what's coming.

jtg3885 said:
Uh... Silver Future could be the name of the cult, not the guy.

I think everybody gets that (if you don't, stand up and be counted...) The original poster made it clear enough to me that he was just using the name to differentiate between the two "surfers." The argument seems to be whether or not there ARE two surfers, or just the one making a re-appearance.

Two Surfers, IMHO. They're not quite identical, and while they're metamorphic creatures made of metal, I think that it can be argued that the different forms indicate two different creatures.

Well it could be that the board is standard and he just had the wings to help the whole cult thing

I dunno, I think each may be programmed with a form that they can partially (Silver in the office) or fully (Silver with the cult) assume. And the blob shape may be their inactive form.

The different forms AND (more convincingly, IMHO) the seeming oddity of going all the way back to Ga Lak Tus before turning around and zipping back to earth lend support to the "at least two silver things" theory. I must wonder if either of them tries to help earth out like 616 SS does. I'd rather they all just be creepy automations of the planet killer, but that's just me.

Last edited:
Maybe they're different models. To borrow Star Wars, the ground-based one is like the Super Battle Droid and the fired one is the E1 battle droid. A bit of reverse evolution from my analogy there... perhaps Gah Lak Tus had used independent AI ones for a while but they weren't the best minions, so GLT started using ones that are basically extensions of his own consciousness.

plungingforward said:
I guess I didn't really think about whether or not this is the same surfer — i was just too busy being in awe of the cool fight. I'm inclined to think they're different. Maybe, as has been suggested, one of them has gone crazy.

I agree that Cap. + Falcon could've done more, considering their 616 history, but this is just a "teaser" for the next Ultimates Annual anyway, right? :lol:
I do like the way the two of them interact.

Still very disappointed with MK's outburst after the fight. If anything, a re-read of the issue only made it seem even MORE out of place, given what's just happened. Although she seemed more sensible later on (if still indignant), I don't know if I can even take her seriously any more. I can't decide if "Captain Whitey" juts out because it sounds so forced/trite, or just because it is in poor taste. Maybe, as they say, it's "a little from column A, a little from column b." (yeah, yeah ... you're a spunky young ethnic gal what takes no guff from any white male... <yawns> we get it...)

Whatever Genie.

Latest posts

Back