Ultimate Extinction #3 (Discussion/Spoilers)

cmdrjanjalani said:
In defense of the "One Silver Surfer" theory. I'd say that we know that it only took the Surfer several minutes to get from the big G to Earth. I don't think it would be much a hassle for a badly injured Silver Surfer to return to Gah Lak Tus to recover.

That is true, but seriously, at distances like that its almost teleporting anyway (well, I know it takes 8 minutes or something for light from our sun to reach us, so maybe a bit longer). I honestly don't know if there is only one Silver "Surfer" or multiple. I was basically arguing it for argument's sake, but I still don't think anything in the issue answered the question about multiple Silvers.

And you're right on that account, it did take him...what? 7 or 8 minutes to get to Earth from Gah Lak Tus (who was around the asteroid belt past Mars at that point I think)...given I'm too lazy to look up the numbers involved to calculate his estimated speed, I'm going to assume it definitly wasn't the speed of light he was moving at...but still...pretty fast. And correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't he slow down to confront Iron Man and Mahr Vehl (I honestly can't remember if he was hit with something by them or not before the confrontation)? If not, then nevermind. But if so, this would indicate he has control over his speed...at least to the point of slowing down. Its not totally beyond thought that he can also speed up, going along with the "speeding away" theory from the Cap and Falcon fight. And its also possible he might be able to teleport as well...while there is no concrete proof of that at this point, there is no concrete proof of the other theory either.

Also, who said he teleported away? He just disappeared.

I did.

All I'm saying is that its entirely possible he teleported away and it was the same Silver guy in both instances...then again maybe not. I'm also saying none of us knows at this point so all I'm doing is merely speculating a little, which is by no means unheard of here on this board.

He is moving in almost the speed of light and we know that you can't see anything that travels at that speed.

Technically, can't we see light itself traveling at that speed? Isn't that why they measure that speed as the speed of light?

But you and EVIL are right in that the human eye couldn't register a singlular mass moving at that speed. So like I said, right now it could be either. Just don't assume too much.

innocentboy said:
interesting ... when did all this happen? one of the annuals?

No, the Ultimate Vision 6-part back-up stories in (listed in respective order):

Ultimate Spider-Man #86
Ultimate X-Men #65
Ultimate Fantastic Four #25
Ultimate Spider-Man #87
Ultimate Spider-Man #88
Ultimate Fantastic Four #26

Each was four pages, so all together equaled your average length comic (well, plus two pages I guess).

DIrishB said:
That is true, but seriously, at distances like that its almost teleporting anyway (well, I know it takes 8 minutes or something for light from our sun to reach us, so maybe a bit longer). I honestly don't know if there is only one Silver "Surfer" or multiple. I was basically arguing it for argument's sake, but I still don't think anything in the issue answered the question about multiple Silvers.

And you're right on that account, it did take him...what? 7 or 8 minutes to get to Earth from Gah Lak Tus (who was around the asteroid belt past Mars at that point I think)...given I'm too lazy to look up the numbers involved to calculate his estimated speed, I'm going to assume it definitly wasn't the speed of light he was moving at...but still...pretty fast..
Didn't Iron Man say he was going to need help stopping something moving at 99% the speed of light? And then Mar'Vell came along for the ride? I don't know if there is more than one surfer, since the other guy didn't have a board.

Synch said:
Didn't Iron Man say he was going to need help stopping something moving at 99% the speed of light?

Probably, I can't remember.

And then Mar'Vell came along for the ride? I don't know if there is more than one surfer, since the other guy didn't have a board.

Um...the board was a part of him. Apparently he's a malleable type metal...

Just had a thought. We've seen the Surfer take two forms so far, or seen two different Surfers. One morphed big metal wings onto his back (like Death, one of the Horseman of the Apocalypse), the other used the surfboard thing. Maybe there are indeed four or even more Surfers, the Ultimate universe's own Heralds and four horseman of the Apocalypse. Its a possibility. Otherwise, I'm out of theories.

I'm pretty surprised such a huge arugement arose out of whether or not the SS teleported/can teleport and whether or not SS has fellow "surfers." I personally hate the idea of the return of the Surfboard, but it seems like it's hear to stay. The questions I'm waiting to hear answered is what is the SS purpose for Gah Lak Tus and Gah Lak Tus seems to be more of a hive mind, so why would it have servants that function as individuals? It seems as though the role of planet softener is pretty much unnecessary.

The only thing I liked out of this issue was the last page wher the second SS screams and we see 3 rows of teeth. That just looks cool to me.

wasn't into this series til i read this issue.

from the Jesus RPG:

"10/5!"

I only want there to be one silver surfer, but I doubt there will be after #3. It made more sense to have a character, not a race, of silver surfers, especially in the beginning of the series.

Goodwill said:
I only want there to be one silver surfer, but I doubt there will be after #3. It made more sense to have a character, not a race, of silver surfers, especially in the beginning of the series.

Don't think of it as a race. Think of it as a series of weapons.

oppinion about the SS

welll I simply state my opponion about the SS here :
there seems to be at least 5(of the cultleaders ones) of them :1 in london, one in NY, one in berlin, one in paris, the last in a city I can' identify
(LA,SF,chicago ?) one of them turned renegade (the NY one lets call him paul)

(1) Welcome from a fellow new kid on the block
(2) Your theory makes more sense than my initial reaction of "damn! he's been busy..."

Well, the Silver Surfer shouldn't have his own thoughts if he's a weapon or a part of Galactus, right? That's what's getting me all tripped up about this.

We're not so sure he DOES have his own thoughts and so on. We don't know how many there are. We don't know his/its/their motives or purpose. We can speculate all we want, but at the end of the day we're all just killing time 'til issue 4, really. It isn't worth getting tripped up about - your baseless speculation is just as good as mine at this point.

I found the issue to be fantastic. From Reed's discovery to Cap and Falcon to Iron Man and Marvell fighting the Surfer who's cooler than hell.

B+

Latest posts

Back