Ultimate Fantastic Four #16 Discussion (Spoilers)

I didnt get it but I did skim trough it. I think that the way things are going is fine. This isnt the 60s the FF arent going to go public that fast. But from what I saw it looked good.

I'm not even saying it was bad I just feel like this is frustrating and sloowww... Some parts were cool they explained Annihilus' character pretty well... just another guy taking advantage of little people. I don't know if I like the look of him though...

TheManWithoutFear said:
I'm not even saying it was bad I just feel like this is frustrating and sloowww... Some parts were cool they explained Annihilus' character pretty well... just another guy taking advantage of little people. I don't know if I like the look of him though...
The look pretty much looks the same as 616. But I don't think the 616 Annihilus had 4 arms...but I could be wrong. The only actual dirrence would be the mask, as it had bug-eyed lenses and not just regular lenses or whatever.

This issue was so cool. I loved every page!

Course one of the reasons I say this is because every other comic that I was supposed to read today was DELAYED....... :wink:

No, but I enjoyed this issue. Ellis writes good FF even if he's not explaining huge science concepts, which were scarce in this issue. :D

I'm guessing the reason this issue was late was because there were multiple inkers (you can tell by looking at the last 1/4 of the ish that it was a bit different :D ) Just wondering, why is one of the inkers called "Nelson" and nothing else?

grumblegrumblelostisarepeatgrumble.

I have also been frustrated with the slow pacing of this arc, which was even worse than the Doom arc. But this issue was a lot better as far as pacing and stuff happening.

I also like the ultimization of "Nihil". I like how Ellis takes goofy sounding alien names and "fixes" them - this is another good example.

So, he wants to destroy Reed and Ben and keep the "breeder" - cool. 8)

This issue has almost completely turned the potential for this arc around. Good stuff.

Well, the other UU titles have been going fast because they can. I'm sure that the FF needs to be slowed down because the rogue gallery isn't impressive and what stories could be presented if that's the case? I'm not saying that there isn't a story that doesn't exist without a villain, but that's part of the reason why X-Men seems to have gone so quickly. In the three years that the UU has burst on to the scene, we've gotten more characters in that title than it took them to create them over three decades... I don't know I'm rambling.

Could I have a complete synopsis please?

Last edited:
Goodwill said:
In the threeyears that the UU has burst on to the scene
Off-topic for a sec-

5 years GW.

Back on topic-
The pace in this issue did seem to go faster than the pace of the other issues in this arc combined. But hey, the issue was still pretty cool. :D

Goodwill said:
You said that... Any chance I could get what I actually asked for?

No. How's that?

All I asked was for a complete issue synopsis and all Ice does is saying that the UU's been around for five years instead of the incorrect 3 that I said.

I like slow moving arcs personally, I feel it makes the action more meaningful when it occurs. And Anhillus' character is cool, despite me knowing nothing of the 616 version. His look grew on me as the issue continued, despite looking like the 60s Beetle at first.

For those wanting a sypnopsis:

The four board Anihillus' station, and find out that the N-Zone will die in about 1,000,000 years. Anihullus offers them information which may help save our universe when the time comes, but Johnny collapses for some reason. The four return to the Awesome, and learn that Johnnys flame powers are killing him. They have to return home.
Thing and Reed return to the station and Reed offers to set up some sort of link between the N-Zone and Earth so they can exchange information. Reed notices that the station seems to be made up of different ship parts, and Thing points out the alien beings who have obviously been captured and their ships used to maintain the station and Annihulus's life.
Reed still makes his offer to Annihulus but he sees that as charity, gets very angry and reveals that he still has over a million years to live and finds it unacceptable that he should die with his universe. He basically then reveals he plans to go to their younger univere and shatters the visors on their space suits.

Goodwill said:
Well, the other UU titles have been going fast because they can.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAH!

Fast? The other Ultimate titles? They all take a story and break it into a 6-part arc. All of them. UFF is no different.

In fact, I love UFF. I'm loving it more and more. I couldn't stand the piss-poor #1-6, but since Ellis took over, I have been in love. The villains have been terrific, and I love the characters. Especially Torch and Thing (Torch's naming of the shuttle, Thing's reaction to Annihilus' name).

For me, a 'slow' book is when you get to the end, and the story hasn't progressed. This is what happens in USM all the time. #72 ends with Harry's revelation, and by the end of #73 - well, the story hasn't moved forward. In fact, it's regressed. For the UFF, I'd say #7, 13 and possibly 14 are the only ones so far to have that kind of feeling. The rest has been a joy to read, I think.

Though, I think we should start speculating on how Reed and Thing are gonna get out of this. Personally? I think Sue's there.

I really dig the slowness. I mean, it's not as though there is no dialogue and that dialogue is handled badly. A poor book to me is one that jumps into 10 double page spreads of a "who will win between.." fight with the only dialogue being akin to "I am grahklar of tumorous will impale you head on the thigh bones of my ancestors". And man, have I read that too many times.

Ellis is very good at decompression. Just look at The Invicible Iron-Man.

But I suppose that's because Ellis is very good at succinct storytelling, so as a result, he knows how to expand condensed moments. Just look at Global Frequency.

Latest posts

Back