Ultimate Fantastic Four #25 (Spoilers/Discussion)

You know what I was thinkin' about the reaction that Namor is a "Bad Guy". What's the deal? He was "bad" when he first showed up in the marvel universe. So do we think he's gonna be all villain? I'm thinkin' his origin is definitely Inhuman but he doesn't mind the interaction with humans... this could've led to his opposing views between the Inhumans and Namor. The Inhumans were a bit extreme.

Just a thought.

TheManWithoutFear said:
You know what I was thinkin' about the reaction that Namor is a "Bad Guy". What's the deal? He was "bad" when he first showed up in the marvel universe. So do we think he's gonna be all villain? I'm thinkin' his origin is definitely Inhuman but he doesn't mind the interaction with humans... this could've led to his opposing views between the Inhumans and Namor. The Inhumans were a bit extreme.

Just a thought.

It's very possible that the Inhumans confined him to that prison for breaking some kinda law like "No Human Interaction" but he might've gone too far with the interaction......like "Rule All Humans".......or something like that. Seeing that he was mad---the Inhumans banished him to a tomb that they believed no human would ever find.

Or maybe not......

Land's art is not *****y at all. It's actually very beautiful. The problem with it, is that it cannot tell a story because all the characters come off like they're posing with all their reactions, and it is extremely inconsistent.

If you compare Bryan Hitch and Greg Land, both artists with very realistic art styles, you begin to see the problems. Whereas Hitch seems to actually read his character's lines and then works on an expression based on that, Land just seems to go:
Land (looking at script): "Hmmm. An entire page of Sue looking shocked. Okay. Hmmm. Now I know I saw an image in a magazine somewhere of that. Honey!? Where's the latest Cosmo?"

That's why it doesn't work.
I mean, I looked at those images of Reed when he's shown from the front and his eyes are looking at something on his side and I thought that Topher Grace would make a really good Ultimate Reed.
And then I realized that that image looks just like the image of Topher Grace on the "Win A Date With Tad Hamilton" movie poster. It seems like a blatant copy.

Then, again with Hitch vs. Land, I picked up on one image that was repeated from #6 of The Ultimates (vol.1) in #7 of The Ultimates 2. It had been re-inked and was well hidden. Alternatively, I picked up on the same panel of Reed looking shocked/worried in #21 (when he leaves the zombie Baxter Building) as in #24 (when Zombie Reed says "Temporary accomodation" to him). It's stupid that it's identical. Hitch put about a 13 issue gap between the panel reuse (and a whole other volume) while Land uses an identical image after a space of only 2 issues. What's up with that?
Plus: Land's image of zombie Thing seems like a cut and paste everytime. He's always just standing there.

Nas

Nas-T! said:
Land's art is not *****y at all. It's actually very beautiful. The problem with it, is that it cannot tell a story because all the characters come off like they're posing with all their reactions, and it is extremely inconsistent.

If you compare Bryan Hitch and Greg Land, both artists with very realistic art styles, you begin to see the problems. Whereas Hitch seems to actually read his character's lines and then works on an expression based on that, Land just seems to go:
Land (looking at script): "Hmmm. An entire page of Sue looking shocked. Okay. Hmmm. Now I know I saw an image in a magazine somewhere of that. Honey!? Where's the latest Cosmo?"

That's why it doesn't work.
I mean, I looked at those images of Reed when he's shown from the front and his eyes are looking at something on his side and I thought that Topher Grace would make a really good Ultimate Reed.
And then I realized that that image looks just like the image of Topher Grace on the "Win A Date With Tad Hamilton" movie poster. It seems like a blatant copy.

Then, again with Hitch vs. Land, I picked up on one image that was repeated from #6 of The Ultimates (vol.1) in #7 of The Ultimates 2. It had been re-inked and was well hidden. Alternatively, I picked up on the same panel of Reed looking shocked/worried in #21 (when he leaves the zombie Baxter Building) as in #24 (when Zombie Reed says "Temporary accomodation" to him). It's stupid that it's identical. Hitch put about a 13 issue gap between the panel reuse (and a whole other volume) while Land uses an identical image after a space of only 2 issues. What's up with that?
Plus: Land's image of zombie Thing seems like a cut and paste everytime. He's always just standing there.

Nas
It's ****ty because he traces, he can't act and a great deal of the expressions are totally over the top and inappropriate. I don't see any beauty in that at all. That shocked end page seemed to be the one time he did try to improvise with Sue's expression and we had her looking as though she was about to start drooling. The guy is about as creative as a wedding photographer - maybe I should suggest it to him.

While Hitch clearly uses reference material and sometimes more than once (which is shoddy, yeah) he is creative with it, he can tell a story and he can absolutely invoke the right mood and all the women don't look like they are desperate to show you their tits.

Oh, another Land self copy is Sue's big 'telekinetic' fit in #24, and her pushing Namor away in... the very next issue. If you're gonna copy an image, make it one that didn't take up nearly an entire page and wasn't noticeable by its ridiculousness.

Bwaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahhahahahhahah! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Last edited:
Anyways. Do you think we'll finally find out what's up with her in #26? She knows a lot about the team, with her knowing what Reed's powers have done to his mind, but something's not right.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyways. Do you think we'll finally find out what's up with her in #26? She knows a lot about the team, with her knowing what Reed's powers have done to his mind, but something's not right.

I definitly think we'll learn more about her motivations and character in UFF #26. At least some, in relation to the events in this arc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reality check time for the cult of Millar. His run on Fantastic Four seems like an almost my-fans-will-buy-anything joke. For one thing, Namor is the most over-the-top villainy villain I've seen (he makes Doc Doom look like Mother Theresa). He's a caricature. And what's up with that gravity-defying hair? Hell, he should be in the Trixethelon just for the exaggerated sinister looks on his face.

Logic-wise, why would Dad, Boyfriend, Brother and Thing let Sue go off alone with an unknown quantity of unlimited superpower? After he threatened to punch a hole in the Thing? After he busted out of the Baxter Building manacles built by the super-stretchy mind (is this sounding familiar, Mr. Stark) of Reed Richards?

Sorry folks. Millar channeled Card on this one, particularly the elastic-brain idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it as a goof. I am not going blindly into loving the dénouement of the Ultimates. I give this issue three thumbs down. The Vision was vastly better.

John Q. Public said:
Reality check time for the cult of Millar. His run on Fantastic Four seems like an almost my-fans-will-buy-anything joke. For one thing, Namor is the most over-the-top villainy villain I've seen (he makes Doc Doom look like Mother Theresa). He's a caricature. And what's up with that gravity-defying hair? Hell, he should be in the Trixethelon just for the exaggerated sinister looks on his face.

Logic-wise, why would Dad, Boyfriend, Brother and Thing let Sue go off alone with an unknown quantity of unlimited superpower? After he threatened to punch a hole in the Thing? After he busted out of the Baxter Building manacles built by the super-stretchy mind (is this sounding familiar, Mr. Stark) of Reed Richards?

Sorry folks. Millar channeled Card on this one, particularly the elastic-brain idea, and I wouldn't be surprised if he did it as a goof. I am not going blindly into loving the dénouement of the Ultimates. I give this issue three thumbs down. The Vision was vastly better.

I agree with almost all of it. I was thinkin' about how over the top Millar has taken the UFF. And it's not about tying his runs together. I know he'll pull it off and it might actually be a good take but all this time travel, zombies, elastic brains, mini-mates, just alittle much for an ultimate title.

I'm gonna hold off on critiquing Namor though until I read him and see more of his story.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I agree with almost all of it. I was thinkin' about how over the top Millar has taken the UFF. And it's not about tying his runs together. I know he'll pull it off and it might actually be a good take but all this time travel, zombies, elastic brains, mini-mates, just alittle much for an ultimate title.

I'm gonna hold off on critiquing Namor though until I read him and see more of his story.

I hope you're right. The guy has set the bar so high for himself, though, that I'm only hoping the Ultimates knocks it out of the park.

(Sheesh, forgot about the min-mates. That had to have been an inside joke).

Guijllons said:
People were on that topic. Why did you change the topic form UFF #25 to remind people to stay on the topic of UFF #25?

I think he edited or deleted posts.

First off. Let me tell you this was a great day for Ultimate Comics. All that was missing was an UXM issue for me. But I'm gonna start my review tours with what was definitely the worst issue I read today...

Ultimate Fantastic Four #25

I'll start with the few good things and things that will keep me interested.

They saved save with Johnny's "What did you do with them" spiel. So he was motivated and it sorta makes sense about him attacking right off the bat.

Finally someone put employees in the Baxter Building. I was absolutely amazed that there were workers in the Namor tied up scene. Usually it's just one of the FF experimenting.

Fantastic 5? Are we getting a space mission soon? Inhumans on the moon?

A lot of Faults with Namor but his mystery is definitely still interesting to me. I want to see where this is leading. The prisoner thing is a good take and I dunno if I'd call him a villain yet so much as a pompous jackass.

The Ultimization of the Herbies was... well isn't that what HERBIE was made for in the 616? Good to see them.

Good to see Ben still has friends. The arc's are supposed to more or less center on certain characters right? Next might be him?

Now for the ugly...

Reed's brain stretching still sucks.

Mini-Mates suck

Those two things prove JQP's whole over the top theory. Honestly what is Millar trying to pull here? It's like he's writing a down to earth Ultimates and then wants to let loose on the poor UFF. Stop it Millar just ****in' stop.

The dialogue was terrible. I almost puked when Namor was negotiating to take Sue out and Reed was like "uh, he's kinda good looking"... :sick:

Once again Millar has overpowered someone. Namor's ridiculous. Did he fly or teleport Sue to times square? Either way he's way too strong. That is, if he's as strong as he says. He didn't face off against Thing and he could've just been trying to act tough. But with Reed's explanation that doesn't seem likely which is too bad because he's too strong.

And what's the deal with Super Smart Reed's gullibility. Hello kids! Namor says that he thinks of the reason Atlantis is empty. But they thought he was a king? Why didn't someone say, "Well, it was your kingdom, how could you not know what the hell happened?"

2.5/5

It was as bad as everyone said. and the brain thing is totally Card.

Latest posts

Back