Ultimate Fantastic Four #26 discussion SPOILERS

DIrishB said:
I didn't think this was a bad issue by far. I also didn't think it was much good either. I can respect and appreciate Millar paying homage to the original FF comics through UFF, but there's a line which can also be crossed. I have always liked the UFF title's slightly more "out-there" and whacky storylines and concepts, as they are after all the Fantastic Four. However, sometimes these approaches can get too ridiculous (and did many times in the original 616 FF). Unfortunately Millar tries to be harkening back to that constant over-the-topness with this run on UFF too much in my opinion. While the UFF should certainly see some extremely weird and surreal storylines, I also think it should maintain just a bit more of a real-world setting the rest of the Ultimate universe is partially known for (though thats quickly slipping away). Therefore I thought the huge Japanimation 05 Robot that Reed built was a bit crazy, but no big deal...cuz after all he's built a teleportal machine, a dimension-hopping space-ship, a time machine, and the Fantasticar all in less than the first 25 issues, and those are only a few of his inventions...so its not that out there in terms of context or content, but I just think its too much too soon. But then, maybe it wouldn't be fantastic enough? Damn...the Ultimate Fantastic Four are like a writer's catch-22. Anyway, I'd like to see Millar focus on the characters a bit more than the huge, insane plot devices and whacked-out storyline. Now, those things should still be retained, as they're integral parts of any FF book, but I think a bit more character development would serve to back-up the fact that they're a "family", and I haven't seen that issue addressed really at all. Sure, Reed and Sue are close, and Ben and Johnny fight a lot, but how much else do we really know about their inter-personal relationships. How do Sue and Johnny get along now? Or how about Sue and Ben? What about Reed and Dr. Storm? I mean, Millar introduced a pretty interesting point of contention between Storm and Reed in Crossover, but by the next arc it seemed to have been forgotten. Thats all I'd like to see, more character development amongst the science and fantastic. That alone should help.

Anyway, I thought the issue was ok. I'll give it a 3/5.
Good way of putting it. Rating is definately fair, as well. :)

I have to agree that the 'family' focus is missing - that's one thing that should be brought from 616 to the 'Ulti-verse'.

Nice that 'Mom' was included here, but, again. I agree - let's get more interplay between who's already established too.

Still like these issues very much, though.

The first 3 arcs seemed TOO decompressed (to me)

DIrishB said:
but I think a bit more character development would serve to back-up the fact that they're a "family", and I haven't seen that issue addressed really at all. Sure, Reed and Sue are close, and Ben and Johnny fight a lot, but how much else do we really know about their inter-personal relationships. How do Sue and Johnny get along now? Or how about Sue and Ben? What about Reed and Dr. Storm? I mean, Millar introduced a pretty interesting point of contention between Storm and Reed in Crossover, but by the next arc it seemed to have been forgotten. Thats all I'd like to see, more character development amongst the science and fantastic. That alone should help.

Truth. I loved Ellis' take on their interactions within the group. The only thing Millar is focusing on is Sue and Reed. Also wasn't Millar's run supposed be character centered throughout each of the four stories? What happened to that? To be fair though Dr. Storm only laid off of Reed because the mother came back. I'm sure it will be brought up again especially when Reed screws with the timeline in President Thor... *Crosses Fingers* please don't let it suck.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Truth. I loved Ellis' take on their interactions within the group. The only thing Millar is focusing on is Sue and Reed. Also wasn't Millar's run supposed be character centered throughout each of the four stories? What happened to that? To be fair though Dr. Storm only laid off of Reed because the mother came back. I'm sure it will be brought up again especially when Reed screws with the timeline in President Thor... *Crosses Fingers* please don't let it suck.

I wonder why he's been focusing on Reed and Sue? Probably because Crossover was supposed to focus on Reed and Tomb of Namor was supposed to focus on Sue. And what two arcs have we got? Crossover and Tomb of Namor. No wonder those two have been focused on!

ProjectX2 said:
I wonder why he's been focusing on Reed and Sue? Probably because Crossover was supposed to focus on Reed and Tomb of Namor was supposed to focus on Sue. And what two arcs have we got? Crossover and Tomb of Namor. No wonder those two have been focused on!
What I meant was the only relationship we've focused on was Reed and Sue. I'm aware Reed went to the Zombie-Verse and Sue was being obsessed over by Namor. But what I was expecting was actually some type of revealation to the characters or something interesting.

DIrishB said:
I didn't think this was a bad issue by far. I also didn't think it was much good either. I can respect and appreciate Millar paying homage to the original FF comics through UFF, but there's a line which can also be crossed. I have always liked the UFF title's slightly more "out-there" and whacky storylines and concepts, as they are after all the Fantastic Four. However, sometimes these approaches can get too ridiculous (and did many times in the original 616 FF). Unfortunately Millar tries to be harkening back to that constant over-the-topness with this run on UFF too much in my opinion.

I see it as almost a parody, and I like it for that.

The problem with UFF is that it is a little too outlandish, don't get me wrong some of it is fine but, the Outlandishness that is so prominent in the UFF books is not in any other books so it disrupts the idea that this is the same Universe. Also instead of Reed creating a helmet that can project his thoughts how about finding a cure for a disease or trying to put his brain power towards a worthy cause then creating mini-mates and war machines.

vader said:
The problem with UFF is that it is a little too outlandish, don't get me wrong some of it is fine but, the Outlandishness that is so prominent in the UFF books is not in any other books so it disrupts the idea that this is the same Universe. Also instead of Reed creating a helmet that can project his thoughts how about finding a cure for a disease or trying to put his brain power towards a worthy cause then creating mini-mates and war machines.
Soooo you want to see a story where Reed has to fight some tough *** villain, and his only weapon is.....THE CURE FOR CANCER!

Ok, seroiusly, yeah they could have him come up with a cure. But what would be the point? How would that create or be used in a story and be interesting? Not saying the idea is an iditioc or anything like that, don't get me wrong. Just don't see it happening.

icemastertron said:
Soooo you want to see a story where Reed has to fight some tough *** villain, and his only weapon is.....THE CURE FOR CANCER!

Ok, seroiusly, yeah they could have him come up with a cure. But what would be the point? How would that create or be used in a story and be interesting? Not saying the idea is an iditioc or anything like that, don't get me wrong. Just don't see it happening.

Obviously that would not be a good idea for a comic book, "The Amazing Reed Richards:Watch him find the cure for cancer, as the rest of the UFF look on in puzzlement" but, isn't the Ulitimate universe supposed to be more realistic than the 616, i just think he could be using his time more productively.

vader said:
Obviously that would not be a good idea for a comic book, "The Amazing Reed Richards:Watch him find the cure for cancer, as the rest of the UFF look on in puzzlement" but, isn't the Ulitimate universe supposed to be more realistic than the 616, i just think he could be using his time more productively.
But remember he's in the Think Tank. Working for the government. You know, the people who like to start wars for whatever reason they find? You really think they would want Reed to be curing cancer? Hell no. That's not what they're there for. Could Reed do it in his spare time? Yeah. But again, how would that prove useful in a story?

Here's a ****ing great story for you.

Reed discovers the cure for cancer/AIDS/fill in your own disease. It's a cure in theory. He needs to make it but that will cost a lot of money. He asks the military government for the cash but they're not a pharmeceutical company and are only interested in weapons. Reed wants to go to a company to fund the cure, but making the cure a reality will take all of Reed's time. The military refuse as they want Reed working on their super weapons.

It writes itself.

Last edited:
Bass said:
Here's a ****ing great story for you.

Reed discovers the cure for cancer/AIDS/fill in your own disease. It's a cure in theory. He needs to make it but that will cost a lot of money. He asks the military government for the cash but they're not a pharmeceutical company and are only interested in weapons. Reed wants to go to a company to fund the cure, but making the cure a reality will take all of Reed's time. The military refuse as they want Reed working on their super weapons.

It writes itself.
I can't tell if you are being serious or not...:?

Damn you, Bass.

I'm being very serious.

It would be best set before the F4 went public. It would be a very powerful story, when you consider how Ben, Sue, and Johnny would react; Johnny doesn't care at all; Sue defends the military as her dad works for them; Ben is upset Reed is spending his time curing strangers rather than himself, his friend and the guy he ****ed up.

It would rock.

Bass said:
I'm being very serious.

It would be best set before the F4 went public. It would be a very powerful story, when you consider how Ben, Sue, and Johnny would react; Johnny doesn't care at all; Sue defends the military as her dad works for them; Ben is upset Reed is spending his time curing strangers rather than himself, his friend and the guy he ****ed up.

It would rock.
Ok. Cuz I didnt mean that a story couldnt be made up, but it's not easy to just have one be centered around that, and turn out to be good. But your idea, it could work for sure. :)

Three-issue arc, tops. You could probably get it done in less though.

But it would just be the moral and ethical implications. How far will Reed go to cure AIDS/cancer/what-have-you and how far will the military go to keep their stranglehold on Reed?

That story sounds much better than the outlandish, huge tidal wave in the shape of Posseidon or Neptune or whatever it was supposed to be about to take out New York City and then it was all resolved with a kiss. Give me Moral dilemma putting co-workers and friends against one another over tidal waves poised to strike New York city, not hitting because of raging hormones any day of the week.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I don't care what Millar said it would be like. I don't go for the whole "Well, he warned us. So that makes it ok." I know the Fantastic Four should be a little more unrealistic than the other ultimate titles. I've even defended that when people complained about the N-Zone arc but Millar is taking it way too far. If Card had said I'm just gonna have some fun with these characters, would that make it ok?

First of all,thats not what I said. Warned implied something bad, which I don't think his run is. The man told us explicitly what the run and stories would be like, all the fanboys got excited, and now that its exactly like he said it would be you don't like it and are picking the thing apart it minute detail&*****ing about it. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Paying for something you don't like or want, month after month, is nothing short of stupidity. Actually its ****ing retarded. Then to come on here and ***** about it?!?!?Wtf man?!?I like it, I buy it. I didnt like Ellis', I didn't buy it. What age are you? Grow up and get over the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" fanboy complex.

And how the hell does Card come into it?

Last edited:
Patriot Mk2 said:
First of all,thats not what I said. Warned implied something bad, which I don't think his run is. The man told us explicitly what the run and stories would be like, all the fanboys got excited, and now that its exactly like he said it would be you don't like it and are picking the thing apart it minute detail&*****ing about it. If you don't like something, don't buy it. Paying for something you don't like or want, month after month, is nothing short of stupidity. Actually its ****ing retarded. Then to come on here and ***** about it?!?!?Wtf man?!?I like it, I buy it. I didnt like Ellis', I didn't buy it. What age are you? Grow up and get over the "Gotta Catch 'Em All" fanboy complex.

And how the hell does Card come into it?

Sorry, MwoF - he has a point.

(even though I bought all the Card issues and *****ed about them) :D

vader said:
That story sounds much better than the outlandish, huge tidal wave in the shape of Posseidon or Neptune or whatever it was supposed to be about to take out New York City and then it was all resolved with a kiss. Give me Moral dilemma putting co-workers and friends against one another over tidal waves poised to strike New York city, not hitting because of raging hormones any day of the week.

The kiss was a cop-out, but showing Namor had powers over water makes him even more different from his 616 version (unless I'm mistaken since I don't recall him having powers like that). It also shows us what, or more specifically who sank Atlantis.

Latest posts

Back