Ultimate Fantastic Four #29 (Spoilers)

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Nice wrap up.

Synopsis:
We start with the last scene from #28. Reed laying over Sue's dead body with Johnny crying. Meanwhile the Skrull King taunts them by asking who will avenge Sue's death? Infuriated...Reed goes super-stretchy and tries to surround the King. One he thinks he has the King trapped, Reed tells Ben and his girlfriend to get outta here, then for Johnny to go supernova. Johnny burns out what last energy he has with what seems to be some big Dragonball fire explosion. Too bad the King wasn't fazed.

The King then kills Reed and Johnny.

Away from the attack we find Ben with his dying girlfriend. She bites it as the King arrives in front of Ben. The King then explains that all the people who took the pill are dead. The individuals who had powers before the pills (mutants and mystical beings like Thor) are being exterminated one by one. King counts down how many people are left on Earth until it is literally just Ben.

Ben begins to laugh. The King asks why and Ben reiterates the statement about how the King's suit allows him to copy any metahuman's powers within such and such radius. But then Ben asks "What do you copy if there's nothing to copy?"

This fact hits the King harder than a ton of bricks. Ben smiles and proceeds to go "Clobberin' Time!" on the King. Once beaten, the King is actually exposed as a frail little weakling in a big suit. Ben takes the suit from him and the King dies from Earth's atmosphere.

Ben heads off hoping to save the world. He heads back to the Baxter Building and uses Reed's time machine to go back in time. He reappears before himself like a day earlier. Come to find out....that Super Skrull that we saw in the last 2 issues who kept popping up at random was actually Ben in the suit. :shock:

Ben finally shows up at the accident site and sabotages the N-Zone machine. Rock Ben sees this and clobbers himself. When Rock Ben finds out who it really is...he's already touching himself (don't snicker....I). The time-spiders attack and it's kinda hard to tell what happens from there. We know that Human Ben was able to jump one more time into the past.

We then cut to current day. Reed and Sue are talking to the Fearsome Four in the containment room. They warn UU Reed that they will break out from their prison in a week.

Then cut to the park present day. Newspaper headline reads that an ancient alien corpse was found in South America (clarification for the non-smart: Ben in the suit). Ben is on the bench crying and a girl walks up on him and notices him crying. She says she likes that in a man and that her stepdad is an angry controlling person. She starts hitting on him. She says her name is Alicia Masters.....and they continue chatting.

Final page we see a shadowy figure in a hooded cape....IT'S DOCTOR DOOM!!!! He says to initiate the plan.......

Great issue. Nice to see Ben whup-*** in human form too.

Could the introduction of Alicia be a small prelude to Ultimate Puppet Master?!?!? That's got me giddy and rolling on the floor laughing just thinking about it. I mean how does that sound outloud??? ULTIMATE PUPPET MASTER!!!! :lol:

One thing I noticed....and I might be wrong....but does anyone notice how it looked like they changed artist on the last 2-3 pages? It doesn't look like Land's work. The coloring is the same.....just not the look.

All in all...4.5/5

wow.

even from the keyboard of one such as yourself, the whole story sounds confusion.

Ben as Super-skrull is something I wouldve never seen coming

sounds interesting though.

Well it's actually pretty simple when you read it. The panels help.

Ben isn't actually the Super Skrull. It's just a suit that he puts on in the end as a disguise.

I know someone called the ben being superskrull thing.....BUT WHO?!

Last edited:
slimjim said:
I know someone called the ben being superskrull thing.....BUT WHO?!

I had guessed that, but I didn't know it was a suit he was wearing.

That sounds like a really cool ending for the arc.

That was a pretty solid ending to a pretty solid arc. Wasn't great and it was definitely rushed though. Especially Ben's meeting himself/seeing himself save mankind and huff off like a crybaby. That turned Millar's characterization of Ben from the first issue of this arc (which was great) 180 on it and made it completely suck. The introduction of Alicia? Wtf? "just toss her in there"?

The rest of it was pretty cool though... I guess. That ending with Doom was 100% badass and the part with the Zombie's, freaky as hell.

3/5

TheManWithoutFear said:
Especially Ben's meeting himself/seeing himself save mankind and huff off like a crybaby.

Well I have to read it again to make sure....but I don't think Rock Ben knows that he saved the world. I beleive the time spiders attacked him before Human Ben could explain. So all he knows is that he is stuck with the rock skin...and that he gets killed by ginat time spiders.

So being that he was depressed before....I could see how this might make him wanna go cry some more.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The introduction of Alicia? Wtf? "just toss her in there"?

I think Millar wanted to add this positive bit at the end to balance out Ben's sad life. Otherwise it would've been a "woe is Ben" arc. Although it did seem a bit forced. It was like he was counting on the audience to know who she is already (which most know anyways). But assuming that we don't know who she is--if this is just her introduction...it does kinda come outta the blue.

Victor Von Doom said:
Well I have to read it again to make sure....but I don't think Rock Ben knows that he saved the world. I beleive the time spiders attacked him before Human Ben could explain. So all he knows is that he is stuck with the rock skin...and that he gets killed by ginat time spiders.

So being that he was depressed before....I could see how this might make him wanna go cry some more.

I think Millar wanted to add this positive bit at the end to balance out Ben's sad life. Otherwise it would've been a "woe is Ben" arc. Although it did seem a bit forced. It was like he was counting on the audience to know who she is already (which most know anyways). But assuming that we don't know who she is--if this is just her introduction...it does kinda come outta the blue.

It was all too rushed IMO. It was a good arc though. Better than Namor.

Yah, it was a good wrap up. But what was with the switch of the artwork at the end, and do any of you think will hear more about the Ben/Super Skrull, that was found in that tomb? Do you think there will be a story about something he did in the past, further down the line?

the watcher said:
Yah, it was a good wrap up. But what was with the switch of the artwork at the end, and do any of you think will hear more about the Ben/Super Skrull, that was found in that tomb? Do you think there will be a story about something he did in the past, further down the line?

Possibly. It's not really anything I'm looking forward to though. I mean I'd rather hear about so many other Ultimate Stories.

So there was no "official Super-Skrull" only the concept that the suits the Skrulls wore gave them various powers.

TheManWithoutFear said:
So there was no "official Super-Skrull" only the concept that the suits the Skrulls wore gave them various powers.

Right. No official super Skrull.....just one suit.

I agree with MwoF - solid effort, good read, but too rushed.

I can't tell if the lack of ending with the human Ben going back in time one last time was jsut poorly written or is left open to explore later...that bugs me.

Loved the revelation that the Super Skrull we've been seeing was Ben in a suit. Nice touch.

3/5

It was alright. Other than the ending revealing Ben gets a blind girlfriend, I don't see what was achieved by this arc. This is the typical problem with time travel stories.

3.5/5

MaxwellSmart said:
It was alright. Other than the ending revealing Ben gets a blind girlfriend, I don't see what was achieved by this arc. This is the typical problem with time travel stories.

3.5/5

I am thinking the payoff comes in the next arc where everything is tied together.

am i the only person to think this arc/run totally kicks ***? millar is writing UFF like stan lee wrote FF: he is making them go on EXTREMELY ridiculous missions to other universes and timelines, but the journeys stem out of the four's personality! they aren't random, they have reason. YET THEY ARE THE MOST OVER THE TOP THINGS EVER!

I friggin love it! The characterization has been good, the art has been sexy (and I'm not the hugest Land fan), it really seems like Millar knows how to do this book. such focus, yet such whimsy!

I loved Ellis' run. A lot. Among the best dialogue I've ever read, but this arc is just something else.

Was I the only one thinking what happens when the Human meet the skrull again. I was expecting a warning from Ben after he went back in time to fix the accident. I just assumed they would tie up the loose end of the inevitable future encounter with the skrull.

Latest posts

Back