Ultimate Fantastic Four #32 (Discussion/Spoilers)

Goodwill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,818
Location
Philadelphia, PA
I'm probably not the right person to review the issue first, but I'm here, and I've read the issue...

If I had to sum up my opinion in one word? Unimpressed.

Turns out, Mrs. Storm was behind the last 12 issues. She wanted control over Latveria for herself. For me, this damages Doom's character a bit.

Also, the fact that the Viral Squid that resided in Johnny and left, entered Thor, and ended up in Doom without explanation was off...

I dunno, I just thought these past 12 issues were entirely too forced and the ending left a lot to be desired. Doom's character was tarnished... Although I'm kind of interested as to see what he'll do with the Zombies... He IS immune, so...
 

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
3,012
Location
Between Heaven and Hell
Re: Ultimate Fantastic Four #32

Goodwill said:
Turns out, Mrs. Storm was behind the last 12 issues. She wanted control over Latveria for herself. For me, this damages Doom's character a bit.
Says SHE, yes. Let's not forget the dragon tattoo.

Personally I think the fact that victor screwed up another teleportation damaged his character more. I mean he is suppose to be more resourceful than Reed (in my opinion) but because of his pride his plans always fails.
 
Last edited:

Goodwill

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 16, 2004
Messages
12,818
Location
Philadelphia, PA
That part of his character was cool, but I think it's a waste to have him shuffling through dimensions.

That was for show... She was in charge... Remember that was what her letters said.
 

fenway

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 24, 2004
Messages
456
I will hide behind my keyboard in advance of saying this -

"These 12 issues were among the best (for me) in the Ultimate Universe."

I'm serious

USM has been tepid for a long time
UXM has stunk since Kirkman took over (who I like!!)
Ultimates has been my all time favourite comic, but the delays make me look to other titles to tie me over (UFF!!)
Ultimate Galactus trilogy went from intriguing to poo to so-so

This run has re-defined UFF for me. I loved it, start to finish..it is what I hoped the title would be from the get-go. I'm looking forward to Carey, and the next arc too.

If someone wanted an endorsement of the UU from me, I'd show them

USM - The Legacy arc - cool
UXM - Magnetic North
Ultimates - practically any issue, but especially #5, 12, 13, and U2 #5 and 10
UFF - without hesitation or reservation, THIS RUN...in fact, immediately following the Ult and Ult2 stuff

Super-Skrull, Namor, Doom, zombies??? Loved it! ALL of it!!

(now hides)
 

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
3,012
Location
Between Heaven and Hell
Goodwill said:
That was for show... She was in charge... Remember that was what her letters said.
Yeah, but how do you know that she is in charge of herself NOW? I mean if I had been Victor von Doom I would have at least ONE back-up plan in store, in case I ever found a way to get back, so I could get my country back.
 

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
9,401
Location
Zoo Atlanta
I thought the real travesty of this issue was the art. I don't know. I really kind of liked Land's stuff last issue, but it looked real ugly for this one.

I think this issue really shows Doom to be a complete badass. You just have to read between the lines. When I read the issue, I took it as fairly obvious fact that there was no "miscalculation", and that things ended up exactly as Doom had intended. His plan "supposedly" involved healing the Torch and using him to destroy the zombies, but I think it's most telling that he never revealed what that plan was. But, when you think about it, what ended up happening gave Doom exactly what he wanted. Think about it. What are Doom's goals in life? He wants power, and he wants respect. Now, there's an incredibly powerful monster dwelling inside Johnny that feeds off human biology. I think it's safe to assume that Vic's metallic structure is going to provide safeguards against the gruesome aspects of the monster's parasitism. And "sacrificing" himself for the good of the world is going to counter the blotches Reed left on his career by claiming the N-Zone accident was his fault. I'd guess there was something either in the banishment spell or something cast on himself that caused the little monster to gravitate towards him in the first place, and switching bodies was the only way to get close enough to Johnny so that he could put it into effect.

And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ms. Storm is still working for him, willingly or not. By attaching Latveria to the Fantastic Four family, he's building a reputation for Latveria that he couldn't achieve on his own. I think it's very likely he's prepping Latveria as a super-power for his own return.
 

Sacred&Profane

Well-Known Member
Joined
May 8, 2006
Messages
998
Location
Indiana
I liked it quite a bit, and it was a nice ending to Millar's run, which has made UFF almost tied with Ultimates as my favorite UU title.

I'm worried about Doom, though; what will happen to him now that he's with the zombies? Millar stated that he was mainly using his run to leave threads for other teams to explore, but I fail to see how transporting the team's archnemesis into a story that has been concluded with the Zombies victories really sets anything up.

That aside, I did like Ultimate Doom, the defeat of the Ultimate Frightful Four, and Zombie Johnny's remark about Ultimate Johnny's hair. I liked the art quite a bit, too.

Speaking of that, did anyone who read that last ads page for UFF and Ultimate Power get a kick out of the following paragraph?
"And you can get your fill of Mark Millar every four weeks, like clockwork, in the pages of Ultimates 2 (and don't miss the best-selling Civil War!)"

I laughed for a good long minute after reading that. Then I got pissed off.
 
Last edited:

DIrishB

The Timeline Guy
Joined
May 27, 2004
Messages
17,832
Location
You are all just obstacles on my path to Nirvana.
Sounds pretty interesting...I'll be picking it up tomorrow.

Goodwill said:
Also, the fact that the Viral Squid that resided in Johnny and left, entered Thor, and ended up in Doom without explanation was off...

Thor shows up in this? Really? Well, I guess that proves my timeline right again, as if Thor is in this issue (free from SHIELD custody), this must take place before Ultimates 2 starts...or at least before he's imprisoned.

Damn...I'm too good.
 

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
9,401
Location
Zoo Atlanta
DIrishB said:
Sounds pretty interesting...I'll be picking it up tomorrow.



Thor shows up in this? Really? Well, I guess that proves my timeline right again, as if Thor is in this issue (free from SHIELD custody), this must take place before Ultimates 2 starts...or at least before he's imprisoned.

Damn...I'm too good.
So do Nick Fury, Wasp, Cap, and Iron Man.


And I have a feeling Doom won't be in zombieland too long. My bet is, he's got a contingency plan.
 
Last edited:

Fredrik Martinsson

Formerly known as Ultimate Warrior
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
3,012
Location
Between Heaven and Hell
DIrishB said:
...this must take place before Ultimates 2 starts...or at least before he's imprisoned.

Damn...I'm too good.
But you have to change place for Marvel Zombies since Doom gets sent to the Zombie earth in the same moment as the remaining Zombie-Heroes eats Galactus :wink:
 

Zimzallabim

Member
Joined
Jun 26, 2006
Messages
9
Zombipanda said:
I thought the real travesty of this issue was the art. I don't know. I really kind of liked Land's stuff last issue, but it looked real ugly for this one.

I think this issue really shows Doom to be a complete badass. You just have to read between the lines. When I read the issue, I took it as fairly obvious fact that there was no "miscalculation", and that things ended up exactly as Doom had intended. His plan "supposedly" involved healing the Torch and using him to destroy the zombies, but I think it's most telling that he never revealed what that plan was. But, when you think about it, what ended up happening gave Doom exactly what he wanted. Think about it. What are Doom's goals in life? He wants power, and he wants respect. Now, there's an incredibly powerful monster dwelling inside Johnny that feeds off human biology. I think it's safe to assume that Vic's metallic structure is going to provide safeguards against the gruesome aspects of the monster's parasitism. And "sacrificing" himself for the good of the world is going to counter the blotches Reed left on his career by claiming the N-Zone accident was his fault. I'd guess there was something either in the banishment spell or something cast on himself that caused the little monster to gravitate towards him in the first place, and switching bodies was the only way to get close enough to Johnny so that he could put it into effect.

And I honestly wouldn't be surprised if Ms. Storm is still working for him, willingly or not. By attaching Latveria to the Fantastic Four family, he's building a reputation for Latveria that he couldn't achieve on his own. I think it's very likely he's prepping Latveria as a super-power for his own return.
I agree with you that all that happened is what Doom's real plan, or he could have just truly screwed up again. All in all it was a great issue and I will miss Millar on this title. I am just wondering what will happen with Doom and the zombies, perhaps he makes them his own personal army? Also, I just highly doubt Mrs.Storm is in control of herself and Latveria, this is just all part of Doom's grand scheme, whatever it may be.
 

vintsukka

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jul 12, 2005
Messages
674
Location
Tampere, Finland
Zimzallabim said:
I am just wondering what will happen with Doom and the zombies, perhaps he makes them his own personal army?
Nope, because it was already shown in Marvel Zombies where the few remaining zombies end up.

I'm guessing that maybe in a year we get a one-shot flashback issue in UFF which shows Doom entering the zombie universe and quickly returning by some means, and then laying low for a while, and this will tie in to a new arc with Doom as the villain.
 

E

Moderator
Excelsior Club
Joined
May 17, 2004
Messages
33,346
Location
MI
fenway said:
I will hide behind my keyboard in advance of saying this -

"These 12 issues were among the best (for me) in the Ultimate Universe."

I'm serious

USM has been tepid for a long time
UXM has stunk since Kirkman took over (who I like!!)
Ultimates has been my all time favourite comic, but the delays make me look to other titles to tie me over (UFF!!)
Ultimate Galactus trilogy went from intriguing to poo to so-so

This run has re-defined UFF for me. I loved it, start to finish..it is what I hoped the title would be from the get-go. I'm looking forward to Carey, and the next arc too.

If someone wanted an endorsement of the UU from me, I'd show them

USM - The Legacy arc - cool
UXM - Magnetic North
Ultimates - practically any issue, but especially #5, 12, 13, and U2 #5 and 10
UFF - without hesitation or reservation, THIS RUN...in fact, immediately following the Ult and Ult2 stuff

Super-Skrull, Namor, Doom, zombies??? Loved it! ALL of it!!

(now hides)

Bravo. I totally agree.

The only thing better than this has been Ultimates (and probably Ultimates 2).

The writing was great, he "fixed" Doom (although he should have kept the goat legs), he made Ben interesting - awesome.

And the art was great too.

Goodie - you crazy.:D
 

TheManWithoutFear

#1 reason not to join UC
Joined
Nov 30, 2004
Messages
16,716
Location
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
I disagree.

Millar's great and had some great ideas but could you imagine what these stories could've been like if he had more than 3 issues an arc to work with? Fell short for me as expected.

And what's with Doom transporting to Zombie-verse but there were still zombies there? I know it's a small thing to pick at but seriously if this was all gonna "tie-in" to Marvel Zombies at least let it be within continuity. Not "Oh, well Doom traveled not only to another dimension but to a different time period of that dimension or even worse and alternate Zombie-verse. ****, that pissed me off.

But Doom being the "most powerful being on the planet." AWESOME!! Seriously loved it. Doom was wonderfully characterized just as Ben Grimm was before he rushed the Skrull arc.

I agree about Mrs. Storm not being in control. She does have the tattoo and Doom is definitely not out of the picture here.

The ending was full house/T.G.I.F. cheese.

3/5
 

Venom Melendez

Well-Known Member
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
4,034
Location
Dorado,Puerto Rico
TheManWithoutFear said:
I disagree.

Millar's great and had some great ideas but could you imagine what these stories could've been like if he had more than 3 issues an arc to work with? Fell short for me as expected.

And what's with Doom transporting to Zombie-verse but there were still zombies there? I know it's a small thing to pick at but seriously if this was all gonna "tie-in" to Marvel Zombies at least let it be within continuity. Not "Oh, well Doom traveled not only to another dimension but to a different time period of that dimension or even worse and alternate Zombie-verse. ****, that pissed me off.

But Doom being the "most powerful being on the planet." AWESOME!! Seriously loved it. Doom was wonderfully characterized just as Ben Grimm was before he rushed the Skrull arc.

I agree about Mrs. Storm not being in control. She does have the tattoo and Doom is definitely not out of the picture here.

The ending was full house/T.G.I.F. cheese.

3/5



Well Dooms there before the remaining Zombies become Galactus...wich tells me that maybe Doom will rule them.....and possibly get Cosmic powers...he had to have some plan before entering that world.
 

Ultimate Deadpool

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
909
Location
DEADPOOL, inc.
TheManWithoutFear said:
And what's with Doom transporting to Zombie-verse but there were still zombies there? I know it's a small thing to pick at but seriously if this was all gonna "tie-in" to Marvel Zombies at least let it be within continuity. Not "Oh, well Doom traveled not only to another dimension but to a different time period of that dimension or even worse and alternate Zombie-verse. ****, that pissed me off.

Maybe it's the Zombie-verse that Zombie-Sentry was from?
 
Last edited:

Zombipanda

My Boom-Boom's mostly gay
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
9,401
Location
Zoo Atlanta
TheManWithoutFear said:
I disagree.

Millar's great and had some great ideas but could you imagine what these stories could've been like if he had more than 3 issues an arc to work with? Fell short for me as expected.

And what's with Doom transporting to Zombie-verse but there were still zombies there? I know it's a small thing to pick at but seriously if this was all gonna "tie-in" to Marvel Zombies at least let it be within continuity. Not "Oh, well Doom traveled not only to another dimension but to a different time period of that dimension or even worse and alternate Zombie-verse. ****, that pissed me off.

But Doom being the "most powerful being on the planet." AWESOME!! Seriously loved it. Doom was wonderfully characterized just as Ben Grimm was before he rushed the Skrull arc.

I agree about Mrs. Storm not being in control. She does have the tattoo and Doom is definitely not out of the picture here.

The ending was full house/T.G.I.F. cheese.

3/5

I think the cheesy angle was intentional. The FF think they've neatly wrapped up another adventure, but what they've really done is imbued Doom with dangerous new powers and let Latveria enter the public arena as a wolf in sheep's clothing.

And I don't get what the problem with Marvel Zombies is. Why does it have to tie in to the end of Marvel Zombies? It's not like the timeframe of the Marvel Zombies releases necessarily correlate to the timeline of the Ultimate Universe.
 

Victor Von Doom

Fist of teh Internets.
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
16,964
Location
On The Edge
Hotness. Pure hotness.

Millar proves once again why he is better than 95% of the writers out there. His entire run was fantastic cheese. But I like-a da cheese. He gave us great characterizations of each character in the group. He defined Ben. He summed up Johnny perfectly. He gave us a great Sue brilliant but still so emotional. And I haven't even mentioned the greatness that is the NEW Mr.Fantastic!!!!

For his entire run---I give Millar 4/5



For this arc in particular-- 5/5.


Don't even get me started on Reed-Doom being the most powerful being on the planet and coming in and completely wrecking the Frightful Four!!!! The way he ripped Ben's arm off and beat him with it??? Crazy!!!!
 

Ultimate Deadpool

Well-Known Member
Joined
Jun 17, 2005
Messages
909
Location
DEADPOOL, inc.
Victor Von Doom said:
Don't even get me started on Reed-Doom being the most powerful being on the planet and coming in and completely wrecking the Frightful Four!!!! The way he ripped Ben's arm off and beat him with it??? Crazy!!!!

I want full details!!!
 

Latest posts

Top