Ultimate Moon Knight (Speculation)

Goodwill said:
I'm hoping they'll save the origin for another story, but even then magic shouldn't have a part in it.

why no magic? the guy is called moon knight....how else can they work the character's status without changing him all together? Keep in mind it has been said they they werent changing much outside of the costume..

TheManWithoutFear said:
There won't be magic, I'll bet my membership on it.
Not worth as much with basic comin, huh?

Anyway, all he need be is a man whos come back from the dead, not nessicarily resurected by an egyptian god. Say he was messed up in the Ultimate Middle East, and nursed back by someone who worships Konshu in secret, he brings this practice back to the US with a new determination to help clean up is city, thanks to his new lease on life.

Baxter said:
Not worth as much with basic comin, huh?

Anyway, all he need be is a man whos come back from the dead, not nessicarily resurected by an egyptian god. Say he was messed up in the Ultimate Middle East, and nursed back by someone who worships Konshu in secret, he brings this practice back to the US with a new determination to help clean up is city, thanks to his new lease on life.

All right, I'll accept that.

Perhaps, but I'm still sort of convinced that Moon Knight will turn out to be Mark Raxton who, while posing as a novice hero, is actually working for SHIELD to do away with Spider-Man for good. There are a lot of things being introduced and I doubt that Bendis will seperate all of them into their own things, you know?

Hey, the revamped Sinister's powers and made Apocolypse a figment of his imagination. Also, Longshot is now a murderer and Spiral has a sister. Look at Venom's origin, too, there's no aliens involved anymore. Tell everyone again that you can't do Moon Knight without magic. ;)

Goodwill said:
Hey, the revamped Sinister's powers and made Apocolypse a figment of his imagination. Also, Longshot is now a murderer and Spiral has a sister. Look at Venom's origin, too, there's no aliens involved anymore. Tell everyone again that you can't do Moon Knight without magic. ;)
All that holds up 'cept the Sinister part. :wink:

I think they'll work a way with Moon Knight. Magic or not, it should be interesting.

Sinister's powers weren't stealth and he certainly didn't get them by genetically altering himself... Where am I wrong here?

Goodwill said:
Sinister's powers weren't stealth and he certainly didn't get them by genetically altering himself... Where am I wrong here?

He was jokingly referring to the ongoing debate that Apocolypse was/wasn't a figment of Sinister's imagination...

And Captain has a good point, but Goody is right; they aren't afraid to use radical departures from the characters' 616 origins, especially for secondary characters like Moon Knight.

Well, I thought, when he said Sinister, he was referring to what I had said ABOUT Sinister... ;) Sorry.

Yeah, I really don't see Marvel not veering off 616 lore to concoct a character's origin. Especially Moon Knight's.

Goodwill said:
Well, I thought, when he said Sinister, he was referring to what I had said ABOUT Sinister... ;) Sorry.

Yeah, I really don't see Marvel not veering off 616 lore to concoct a character's origin. Especially Moon Knight's.

The question is which Moon Knight origin will they use those.

Well, I think that he's going to have an origin tied to SHIELD, like I've been saying. He's going to be responsible for taking Peter's powers.

The SHIELD concept is very interesting but I don't think it will happen because MoonKnight is going to take on the role model role. It would be hard for him to teach Peter what the schtick of being a super hero is like if he's actually betraying him.

TheManWithoutFear said:
The SHIELD concept is very interesting but I don't think it will happen because MoonKnight is going to take on the role model role. It would be hard for him to teach Peter what the schtick of being a super hero is like if he's actually betraying him.

Where did you hear that at about the role-model part?

No, I think what happened at the end of the Hob-Goblin arc was the end of that role in the relationship between SHIELD and Spider-Man. Fury's had enough with him and won't care to bother with him any longer.

Goodwill said:
No, I think what happened at the end of the Hob-Goblin arc was the end of that role in the relationship between SHIELD and Spider-Man. Fury's had enough with him and won't care to bother with him any longer.

SHIELD/Fury wasn't much of a father figure in my opinion. Peter needs someone to show him what it's going to be like to be a solo hero that isn't working for government but is working for the good of mankind.

Goodwill said:

I take it that you arent really in tune with the character...without that aspect its like having spidey without the webs....and i dont know if magic is the proper term....its more supernatural than anything...but if magic is what you view it as then so be it.

616 Moon Knight origin and the use of magic

I actually used to collect Moon Knight back in the 80's, both series, and so after much debate, got off my *** and found issue one from the first series (I think the first series) from Nov 1980.

Moon Knight started out being similar more to DC's Vigilant then Batman, although I'm sure they both have their roots in that character. I make that comparison becasue while there is hinting of a mystical origin (hell, Vigilant's origin has him being trained by spirits) that element is actually mostly ignored. Unlike someone commented earlier, Marc Spector was not an archeologist, but was a mercenary fighting in a war in Sudan. He'd been hired by a guy with the dubious african name of Bushman, who had a skull tattooed on his face, with steel teeth - which he didn't think might lead to the moral dilemma it, of course, lead to.

Basically, Spector refused to fight the war, especially when a blond woman who screams and cringes alot was kidnapped. Marc is captured by Bushman's people and is, of course, left for dead in the desert (why these bad guys never actually make sure people are dead is beyond me). He wakes and stumbles around the desert for a day or so before collapsing, where he is found by the people he had originally been fighting the war against, and just to prove how aulteristic they really are, bring him inside a tomb, where they leave him. He wakes up and decides that the reason for his revival was because of the statue of Khonshu he was laying in front of. Marc takes the cape and hood from the statue and rushes off to free the woman and avenge himself on the Bushman.

And in the process a strip joint is refered to as a "jiggle joint". I only include that because it is possible the single funniest thing I've read in a comic in years.

Now, I recall that in the second series, Moon Knight aquired nunchucks, but originally he used moon shaped throwing knives (hmm, familiar sounding) and didn't really have to much of a problem of killing people. This also changed in the second series where he became more nonlethal.

And that's how Moon Knight 616 came to be...with as little cynicism as I could muster. Hope that's helpful...and I hope it's nothing like what Bendis has written because if it is I'll be disappointed. I don't even mind the mystical angle being played up more than it appears to have been done in the original run, just so it isn't quite so silly sounding.

Latest posts

Back