Ultimate # of Titles

I see that a couple people are on the Daredevil or MK bandwagon. Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but all because an ultimate "sticker" ins't put on the book dosen't mean it can't be one. Hell, as far as i'm concerned Punisher by Ellis is ultimate Punisher and same goes for Supreme Power. Most of the MK titles themselves are so defined that they don't need Ultimate versions. I'm sure I've read this words before but the only characters that need to be ultimatized are the ones with the confusing continuity-gliched histories. Punisher and Daredevil don't have complicated histories so they don't need a title.

Asied from that I don't see an Ultimate Marvels titles working, I brought the idea up a couple monthst back and the more I think about it the more absurd the idea sounds. The one thing that sells a title is consistancy and if you jump from a fan-fav Blade to Cloak and Dagger you are going to loose sells. Marvel has tried books like this in past and they all end up either failing or reverting to featureing a chacretr for a long haul. It's better to just have a character title.

Ultxon said:
I see that a couple people are on the Daredevil or MK bandwagon. Guys, I hate to burst your bubble, but all because an ultimate "sticker" ins't put on the book dosen't mean it can't be one. Hell, as far as i'm concerned Punisher by Ellis is ultimate Punisher and same goes for Supreme Power. Most of the MK titles themselves are so defined that they don't need Ultimate versions. I'm sure I've read this words before but the only characters that need to be ultimatized are the ones with the confusing continuity-gliched histories. Punisher and Daredevil don't have complicated histories so they don't need a title.

Ultimate Xorn.

DIrishB said:
Technically yes, but I think Ultimate Avengers as opposed to the Ultimates would mean the Ultimates break away from SHIELD control and venture out on their own as an independent super-team, whereas right now they're doing and going wherever SHIELD/Fury tell them. I think the major difference is the idea of the Ultimate Avengers would be more like the original 616 Avengers.

The thing is, I always assumed that having the connection to SHIELD is what made this group the Ultimate Avengers, the change to the story concept and all that.

Also, just for gits and shiggles, I'd like to point out that Captain America is still depicted as U.S. Army...with a very long tour of duty. That said, if he broke off from SHIELD, which I assume is his current duty assignment, he would be considered AWOL, and subject to court martial and imprisonment. No matter how dark Miller has made this character I just can't see him justifying such a move, since it would mean that the entire U.S. Army would be forced to hunt him down...which, granted could make for a hell of a good mini...

notTHATtodd said:
The thing is, I always assumed that having the connection to SHIELD is what made this group the Ultimate Avengers, the change to the story concept and all that.

Also, just for gits and shiggles, I'd like to point out that Captain America is still depicted as U.S. Army...with a very long tour of duty. That said, if he broke off from SHIELD, which I assume is his current duty assignment, he would be considered AWOL, and subject to court martial and imprisonment. No matter how dark Miller has made this character I just can't see him justifying such a move, since it would mean that the entire U.S. Army would be forced to hunt him down...which, granted could make for a hell of a good mini...

Good point, I'm not sure what the technicalities of Cap's tenure in the service are, but I'm sure were this to happen the writer would find some way to make it work. He could just as easily be pardoned and let go. After all, with the media firestorm the Ultimates are going through as a result of the Hulk trial in Ultimates 2, I wouldn't put it past Fury and SHIELD to disband the group at the end of the series or to form a new, more media friendly one(which is most likely what will happen with the news of Ultimates 3).

Have we thought about the other team that Nick Fury has that's going to be in the annual? Because if the Ultimates do leave and form the Avengers, then there could still be an Ultimates Vol. 3, instead with a different set of characters

It was which is why I said it depends on how Ultimates 2 ends. There may indeed be a reason for Ultimate Avengers. I don't know.

But I think we'll either get Ultimate Marvel Knights OR possibly something like Ultimate Captain Mahr-Vell. A character who was never a big guy in 616 but is a huge guy in UU. The idea is that the ultimate version is much more important to the UU than the 616 one was to 616.

But the new title I think will be based on the seedy, underworld stuff OR big cosmic stuff and aliens and non-human affairs.

That said, we might get "Ultimate Amazing Spider-Man" and have two Spidey titles... *shudder*

TheManWithoutFear said:
Ultimate Avengers? I always thought that the point in not nameing the team "Ultimate Avengers" was too lose, what they thought, was the stupid name "Avengers".

That is kind of what they said. Actually Millar claimed that they didn't want it confused with the Avengers movie from a few years ago because it was so bad.

roguefan said:
You can say that about any title:

'Did the Fantastic Four really need their own Ultimate title?' The answer is, no, they didn't need one. But it has turned out to be one of the best UU titles and with the Crossover arc, it could turn out to be the best. Punisher would be great with his own series, but like I said before, a book like Amazing Fantasy (Ultimate Marvels?) would be the best bet for Marvel.
The Fantastic Four have been a huge part of the Marvel universe for like what, four decades now? It was inevitable that they would be Ultimatized, if not for continuity streamlining purposes, then because they're just a big book for Marvel.

Rawb said:
Ultimate Great Lakes Avengers.

If they made Great Lakes and West Coast Ultimates, but handled it semi-seriously... I would be thoroughly pleased...

Although Big Bertha is a little... politically incorrect these days.

Dr.Strangefate said:
If they made Great Lakes and West Coast Ultimates, but handled it semi-seriously... I would be thoroughly pleased...

Although Big Bertha is a little... politically incorrect these days.

Although I was kidding about GLA, I wouldn't mind a serious west coast ultimate avengers.

In all honesty I could see a DD title... or perhaps make Iron-man an ongoing title. Maybe even Thor considering the age of his 616 series and the popularity of the ultimates Thor.

Just not sure where they could go with a Thor series.

Rawb said:
Although I was kidding about GLA, I wouldn't mind a serious west coast ultimate avengers.

In all honesty I could see a DD title... or perhaps make Iron-man an ongoing title. Maybe even Thor considering the age of his 616 series and the popularity of the ultimates Thor.

Just not sure where they could go with a Thor series.

Or, you know, the fact that 616 Thor is -dead-

Rawb said:
o.o

Whoah... I am afraid im a little out of the 616 Thor loop......... he's dead??
That sucks.
I loved Thor :(

Ragnarok, my friend, Ragnarok.

No Thor ongoing anymore, he's been gone since before Avengers Disassembled

Dr.Strangefate said:
Ragnarok, my friend, Ragnarok.

No Thor ongoing anymore, he's been gone since before Avengers Disassembled
But don't you know that Thor is coming back! So people don't have to cry, really.

Latest posts

Back