Ultimate # of Titles

icemastertron said:
But don't you know that Thor is coming back! So people don't have to cry, really.

In fact, Millar was considering writing it based off a Neil Gaiman treatment, if I'm not mistaken, but he took on UFF instead. Thank God. :D

UltimateE said:
In fact, Millar was considering writing it based off a Neil Gaiman treatment, if I'm not mistaken, but he took on UFF instead. Thank God. :D
Yes, that is correct. :wink:

Well, I was considering that, but Donald Blake won't be Thor anymore. I think the idea is that there will be a whole bunch of kids who find the relics of the Gods and take on their identities.... Something like that, at least.

How about someone new?

A new super team with an entirely different dynamic than what we have before?

Maybe a European super team that's only tangentially related to the Union...

Gavin

Gavin Bennett said:
How about someone new?

A new super team with an entirely different dynamic than what we have before?

Maybe a European super team that's only tangentially related to the Union...

Gavin

You mean like Excalibur?

I say the return of Ultimate Adventures...!

Okay, really though, I could go for an Ultimate Team-Up meets Marvel Knights kind of book, as long as it serializes at least two stories monthly...

As far as the whole Ultimates v3 / Ultimate Avengers thing...

From Marvel.com
The Ultimate Avengers, an original animated feature based on the chart-shattering comic The Ultimates is coming to DVD in February of 2006!

What if this actually falls into continuity, and we see the demise of the Ultimates title, and start from #1 (no more volumes of 13 issues) with the title Ultimate Avengers...?!?

My pick for a new "ongoing" Ultimate title...? I would take any of these three:

Ultimate Wolverine

Ultimate Daredevil

Ultimate Dr. Strange

Boil said:
I say the return of Ultimate Adventures...!

Okay, really though, I could go for an Ultimate Team-Up meets Marvel Knights kind of book, as long as it serializes at least two stories monthly...

What if this actually falls into continuity, and we see the demise of the Ultimates title, and start from #1 (no more volumes of 13 issues) with the title Ultimate Avengers...?!?

My pick for a new "ongoing" Ultimate title...? I would take any of these three:

Ultimate Wolverine

Ultimate Daredevil

Ultimate Dr. Strange

That movie is practically Ultimates Vol.1.

Boil said:

The two direct-to-DVD "Ultimate Avengers" movies currently in production have already been announced as being quite faithful adaptations of Ultimates Volume 1.

Edit: Oops, looks like I got beat to the punch.

Well get this, what if there is no Ultimates Vol. 3?

I think that is unofficially confirming that there will not only be an Ultimates Vol. 3, but it will go even past that.
Wish I was right now, don'tcha?! :lol:

There is no need to ultimize a character like deadpool.
How right you were...

He could be someone colder than that of his 616 counterpart and he could be less annoying, too.
This hurts my soul to see 'cuz it didn't turn out like that. :(

doesnt mean they cant bring in charcters like Deadpool or someone else.
Moron, now it does!!

So true. He can quit his job and become a stand-up comedian! lol
Sorry bad joke. :?
Bad joke....or better plot than Ultimates 3?

I think the next Ongoing Ultimate title they make should be a marvel kinghts title. And instead it being a ongoing Ghost Rider, or whatever marvel knights titles there are they can make it into a team marvel knights somewhat like the X-men unique.

Like a team of the top 6 Marvel Knights characters. Ghost Rider, Blade, etc. etc. I would likethat....
It has to be a cold day in hell for a Lil Kis post to not only read correctly (for the most part), but make more sense than Ultimates 3. :shock:

Than again, what doesn't? :p

And Bass had revealed his true self.

Here's my two bits...

Ultimates leave SHIELD at the end of Ultimates 2. This would create two new titles.

Ultimate Avengers
OUR ORACLE!

HAIL OH MIGHTY ORACLE! WHAT SAY YE ON THE END OF ULTIMATE AVENGERS NOW?

I'd personally love a Nick Fury led book. much more Espionage, black ops political stuff...
Supreme Power!

Dude, what are the lottery numbers?!

Last edited:
2ed59ch.jpg

Liiies.

Actually, I think Ultimate Marvel Knights is still a workable concept, as compound and I have been toying with the subject for quite a few months now.

I think for it to be patently interesting would take a kind of re-imagination that might scream heresy for some devotees of the characters. I mentioned it elsewhere, in fact on one of MWOF's DD threads but didn't really go into details.

The thing is, many of the Silver Age Marvel characters who have now been Ultimatized --- The Fantastic Four, The X-Men and The Avengers --- were born out of anxiety over the atomic bomb and radiation. Ultimate characters tend to reflect an anxiety over power, over being more than human, reflecting a kind of (wait for it) superhuman zeitgeist.

But the Knights characters who were born in the 70s-90s cared little for the kind of technological anxiety that the Silver Age characters reflected. Luke Cage was an effort to reflect the African-American unrest and the trend in media towards blaxploitation. Ghost Rider refracted the 70's spiritual anxiety back to itself, at a time when America felt that the 60s idealism petered out into social and moral decay. Frank Miller's work on Daredevil explained how an individual can transcend their impoverished upbringing and their handicaps and stave off urban despair.

For an Ultimate Knights franchise to work, the characters cannot just exist alongside the existing Ultimate characters for their own sake. They have to be reexamined thematically and see their own themes "modernized".

How does a man with strong social ties, to his family and to his faith suddenly decide to go armed to the teeth on an antisocial crusade against crime? What is family and what is war? Where does punishment end and vengeance begin?

What is the meaning of damnation and salvation at a time when, post 9/11, the difference between the Judaeo-Christian, the Islamic and the agnostic is at its most tense? How do you summon up the worst in you and turn your own spirits of vengeance into a force of justice?

Why does a man, set back by the pain of a handicap, the injustice of the city, the loss of a father never lose hope? How does he continuously face failure and disappointment, suffer the circles of violence and pain and remain fearless?

How does one man face a world so compromised, drive a stake through the heart of evil, knowing that his accomplishments shall never be acknowledged? How does he take a blade to the darkness and never lose sight of what is black and what is white?

To examine that in ways the Marvel Knights never did, the Ultimate Knights have to be more different from their 616 predecessors than any other Ultimate characters.

Ultimate Spider-Man took the famous oath of "power and responsbility" and changed it to become a story of a boy learning to become a man. Ultimate X-Men reimagined the sociopolitical struggle into a question of ethics. The Ultimates took the ever-changing nature of a peacekeeping force like the Avengers and examines the tenuous nature of alliances between people, institutions and each other.

For Ultimate Knights to just exist, unchanged is doing an injustice to the ambitions of the existing Ultimate titles.
I still wish this could happen.

Latest posts

Back