Ultimate # of Titles

Problem is, that Deadpool, is more or less a comedy book, or at least has teneded to work best as a comedy book. He's written as being annoying for a reason. You take that away and he's really not Deadpool

Yes, he is. You take the scientist away from Sinister and you still have a pretty rockin' Sinister as a street urchant.

I see it as this:

People like Deadpool more because of his annoying but funny humor. Without that, he wouldnt be who he is really.

Its like taking the sarcasm out of Iceman or taking the one-liners out out of Spider-Man. People would miss what they do most. And thats what they say, more than what they do.

thee great one said:
Ummmmm. I wonder if this is still going to happen?

What I think would be a good ongoing title would be a relaunch of Ultimate Team Up but not one that was tied to Spiderman. I keep thinking as I go back and occasionally buy those issues that keeping Spiderman in them was not only unnecessary, but tended to actually detract from the stories from time to time. For example, as good as the Daredevil, Punisher, Spiderman arc was, Spiderman really had nothing to do with it and should not have been included.

I think that this kind of title would be a good way to focus in on those characters - like Ultimate Deadpool - that are favorites but not popular enough to warrent their own series.

The trick to this kind of title, however, is who does the writing. Since - as I envision it - it would be an ongoing series of mini's having the same writer and artist working on it might be difficult, but to pass that duty off to often could quickly reduce the quality of the book...as was seen in the original run. Of course, the bonus part is, if such a comic was done, that focus more on the second stringers, issues of continuity (something that can be very concerning for us comic fans) can be avoided by simply leaving out characters from the other series...i.e. no Spiderman, no X-Men, no FF, no Ultimates.

I could even see this kind of a series having fan participation by having a yearly poll on the Marvel website asking for visitors fav picks. Have a list of every hero Marvel has ever had (minus the ongoings, of course), round up the top 5-10 chosen, hand the assignments to a writer who could then base an arc of so many issues on them.

As I look over what I have just written I realize that this idea is a fairly good, well laid out concept that would, therefore, never be used by Marvel, rejected instead for choices that made no sense to anyone outside their offices, with writing and art so flat and drab one is left wondering what freshmen creative writing and basic art 101 classes are missing students...

But I digress... :wink:

icemastertron said:
I see it as this:

People like Deadpool more because of his annoying but funny humor. Without that, he wouldnt be who he is really.

I see it as this:

#1 Is this thread new? I just tried to take in everything.

#2 Ice, what the hell do you know about Deadpool. Me and a few others preach and preach about how great the title is but you don't read it so... cmon...

#3 What is this thread about a next Ultimate ongoing or title? Ultimate Daredevil. Hands down.

This thread has been brought back from the deep.

I think that Daredevil has the possibility of being the next ongoing. I don't really want another ongoing, because then I'd have to buy another title, but I don't see Hulk or Deadpool having their own one. Heck, Daredevil's origin hasn'r even been told, and that could be the first arc. Each arc could fit between the mini or his other appearances.

Something like that, if it has to happen.

I reckon it would be a good idea if we had a book like Amazing Fantasy in the UU. Maybe called Ultimate Marvels? It would be six issue arcs on characters who are big but not big enough to have their own title. There would be team-ups between characters, big fights between villains and heroes.

sto110 said:
Yeah thats kinda the reason i dont want to see an Ultimate Daredevil. The 616 has had problems in the past and the new version (this series) has been great. Buuut what can you do different in the ultimate to make it better?

Deadpool - no
X-factor/force/calibur/cable - no

I honestly dont know what the next one should be (we should keep it small though) maybe Ultimates: Black Ops (having two ultimates books with different teams) but i dont think that will happen.
I had an idea like that. Called it Ultimate X-Force, and it was in a suicide Squade vien. A black ops group that specializes in using captured rogue mutants and genetic terrorists in military ops. The core of the team was going to be Forge, Sabertooth, Karma, Elektro, and the Ultimitized Luke Cage (Wich really doesn't work now :( ). They'd have been commanded by Dugan (Remember him?) and sent on ops that the US couldn't have an official presence in. The X-Force name was more of a joke by the programs heads on the X-Men. The first arc, wich would have been very self contained as I planned all this out as a mini, would have had the team sent into the UK to plifer files on the brittish super soilder program, then having to take down Elektro after he attemps to escape at the ops end.

Last edited:
I think the next Ongoing Ultimate title they make should be a marvel kinghts title. And instead it being a ongoing Ghost Rider, or whatever marvel knights titles there are they can make it into a team marvel knights somewhat like the X-men unique.

Like a team of the top 6 Marvel Knights characters. Ghost Rider, Blade, etc. etc. I would likethat....

Goodwill said:
Yes, he is. You take the scientist away from Sinister and you still have a pretty rockin' Sinister as a street urchant.
Erm, Essex was still a scientist. That's how he ended up as Sinister. He lost funding for his experiments and performed them on himself. Wow, someone's not reading every page... O_O
ProjectX2 said:
I think that Daredevil has the possibility of being the next ongoing. I don't really want another ongoing, because then I'd have to buy another title, but I don't see Hulk or Deadpool having their own one. Heck, Daredevil's origin hasn'r even been told, and that could be the first arc. Each arc could fit between the mini or his other appearances.
MWOF's wankings aside, I don't think Daredevil is anywhere near good enough for his own title. Hell, Tony Stark is getting a 10 issue miniseries, and Daredevil had to share a 5 issue series with Elektra. He's not even good enough for his own mini, why would Marvel make him into an ongoing?
Lil Kis said:
I think the next Ongoing Ultimate title they make should be a marvel kinghts title. And instead it being a ongoing Ghost Rider, or whatever marvel knights titles there are they can make it into a team marvel knights somewhat like the X-men unique.

Like a team of the top 6 Marvel Knights characters. Ghost Rider, Blade, etc. etc. I would likethat....
Blade's had a page or two in the USM Super Special, Ghost Rider hasn't happened at all... so many ideas that people think are worthy of an ongoing, and most don't even warrant a mini. Never going to happen people...

On the other hand, especially after the revelation that there's umpteen Super Soldier projects in Russia alone, not to mention the potential for super soldier projects in some of the former Soviet states, you could make an entire book right there. Sorta like... what is it, Live Wires? The book with the super-secret androids whose job is to hunt down other super-secret projects?

The European Union is formed and the guys and gals are powered up for combat, and all they do is help the Ultimates? C'mon, that's a hell of a waste. There's like, two dozen countries involved there, and there's so much potential for superheroics, politicking, personal life issues, etc.

Anyone else here going to try and think outside the box?

Ultimize a totally old character, one somebody knows hardly anything about. See how long it lasts. DC did it for Animal Man and it was successful, why don't Marvel try it?

Lil Kis said:

Ultimate Spirits of Vengence? I think I'd pass on that one.

OK this is a fact no matter what character or team they use for the next ongoing, its going to sell! and be in the top 25 no matter what! The Ultimate Universe has a large fanbase....And I think if say Ultimate Deadpool was realesed all you Ultimate fans would pruchase hate or love the character.....and if done right you might even rave about it.....And yes Deadpool is in need of a revamp, definately an Ultimate one....trust me. I'm a Pool-fan.

But I think this ongoing is either going to be, Ultimate Captain America, Hulk, Shield,Daredevil.....or if Ive been following the hints correctly....Maybe even an Ultimate Moon Knight series!!

I think it will be Ultimate Marvel Knights, or depending on how The Ultimates 2 ends, Ultimate Avengers.

jtg3885 said:
Anyone else here going to try and think outside the box?

You're not thinking outside the box j. You're just trying to be different. Wank that.

Anyway. Project and Widdle Wade... Moon Knight, pending on how he does in USM is probably your best bets. I say Project because you said take an old hero and ultimize him and Widdle you said Moon Knight, who is an old character being ultimized.... well there ya go.

This is going to turn into a "who do you want to see ultimized" thread isn't it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
This is going to turn into a "who do you want to see ultimized" thread isn't it.

Threads like this usually do. :?

notTHATtodd said:
Erm...isn't that The Ultimates is?

He's working off the theory floating around (here anyway, not sure about other places) that Ultimates 2 will end in the heroes breaking away from the government in some way and thus forming the Avengers, Ultimate-style.

Latest posts

Back