Ultimate Roxxon Corporation (Speculation)

Quite. However, should a company vie for for supersoldier contract, there may be no law in place to stop this contract going to the highest bidder. this contract holder itself may be a subsidiary of roxxon. But that is reaching a little.
To really make roxxon bad guys, they need to have their own personal uses for adamantium. But why would they do that? What applications can come through from the uses of this material?

icemastertron said:
Hey, I just found out yesterday that Roxxon's in 616 too!
lol :lol:
Yup yup. And if you read an earlier response I made in this thread, you'd know that they were originally an Exxon Valdez analogue. :D

Guijllons said:
What applications can come through from the uses of this material?

Unbreakable metal? They're virtually unlimited. My first guess would be military (tanks, armor, bullets, etc.).

This is my point, the first thing that you, I and the UU people will think of is military applications. And generally speaking, if a company deals solely in something that can only have a military application, it's unlikely that they will turn out to be a good guy.
So what's roxxon up to? Being the bad guy's suppliers doesn't really cut it it as a dynamic storyline. There needs to be a development branch. But, given that they are the comic parody of exxon, and the environmental issues that were borne or this company thereof, then there would need to be a development of this aspect. But unless spidey turns into an 'eco-warrior' then I'm a little stuck right now.

Guijllons said:
This is my point, the first thing that you, I and the UU people will think of is military applications. And generally speaking, if a company deals solely in something that can only have a military application, it's unlikely that they will turn out to be a good guy.
So what's roxxon up to? Being the bad guy's suppliers doesn't really cut it it as a dynamic storyline. There needs to be a development branch. But, given that they are the comic parody of exxon, and the environmental issues that were borne or this company thereof, then there would need to be a development of this aspect. But unless spidey turns into an 'eco-warrior' then I'm a little stuck right now.
Well, to be fair to ourselves, if we're going to think of Roxxon or the applications of adamantium in a way that's supposed to be a threatening danger, a "villainous force" within an Ultimate comic, the most obvious way to look at it is in military applications.

Call it a limitation of our imagination, but really what else can a metal whose ONLY distinguishing factor is its extensive durability be applied to other than making existing weapons stronger or at least allow vast amounts of energy to be applied through it without risking structural breakdown?

I wish I could come up with an idea, then I could be like Mark Waid or Warren Ellis or something. If we were talking about vibranium or unstable molecules, that would be a completely different matter.

TheManWithoutFear said:
I like Roxxon being responsible for Scorpion/Rhino idea. I mean their suits should be indestructible.... I wish they could work Stilt-Man into this.... Where's UDD!!!! :twisted:
If Ultimate Stilt-Man's legs were made out of adamantium, does that mean you'd need adamantium wire/cord to trip him and make him fall down? :p

I seriously think there should be a limit on the use of adamantium... It would get extremely redundant, especially all at once. We wouldn't like to see more characters attached to Peter, right? Well, after a while you guys won't want to see Roxxon kicking out so many characters, either...

Goodwill said:
I seriously think there should be a limit on the use of adamantium... It would get extremely redundant, especially all at once. We wouldn't like to see more characters attached to Peter, right? Well, after a while you guys won't want to see Roxxon kicking out so many characters, either...
I already don't want to see Roxxon kicking out heaps of characters. Its repetitive and the origins of many of Spidey's rogues are already pretty weak.

Well, I don't think they are all that weak, so much as they are a little less dramatic, which means realism. You wouldn't want all that, would you? I mean, we didn't get a dramatic scene for Gwen's death, did we? Nope...

Goodwill said:
Well, I don't think they are all that weak, so much as they are a little less dramatic, which means realism. You wouldn't want all that, would you? I mean, we didn't get a dramatic scene for Gwen's death, did we? Nope...
The ones I know about (I'm not an expert) are repetitive, unimaginative and not particularly realistic. As for Gwen's death (a little random but...ok), I personally thought it was cliched but not as terrible as it could be. As a plot developement, I wasn't happy with it but the scene itself wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Well, I'm guessing you're thinking of Venom and Carnage, because those are the only two characters I can see where you would trip up on the origins. I like to think that, with an origin like Electro's, you can have more fun because you can skip all of the junky stuff and get to the meat.

Goodwill said:
Well, I'm guessing you're thinking of Venom and Carnage, because those are the only two characters I can see where you would trip up on the origins. I like to think that, with an origin like Electro's, you can have more fun because you can skip all of the junky stuff and get to the meat.
I don't know what you mean by tripping up. I find the origins of many spidey villains, 616 and Ultimate to be repetitive and boring. Just adding another source of illegal genetic experiments is incredibly unimaginative. Oh wait, the source uses adamantium. That makes it completely interesting.

The adamantium concept is mildly interesting. Could remain so for one, maybe two villains, tops. Its an unbreakable metal, there are so many industrial uses. So lets inject it into hobos and creates yet another "unstoppable killing machine." Its not new, its not good and I don't want to see Roxxon pumping villain after villain out.

I liked the randomness of Gwen's death, it was just a pointless death, a meaningless death, like someone crossing the road and getting hit by a car death. 99.99% of comic book deaths are for some great and good cause, I'm glad hers wasn't. It actually made it more tragic.

Guijllons said:
I liked the randomness of Gwen's death, it was just a pointless death, a meaningless death, like someone crossing the road and getting hit by a car death. 99.99% of comic book deaths are for some great and good cause, I'm glad hers wasn't. It actually made it more tragic.

It wasn't pointles s you're contradicting youreself

TheManWithoutFear said:
It wasn't pointles s you're contradicting youreself
I think Guij meant Gwen's death was pointless not in the "narrative" sense, but in the sense that it's one of those deaths that strike out of nowhere and by that vein, it enhances the tragedy of losing that character.

What he DOESN'T mean is that Gwen's death was pointless on the part of the author (Bendis) and editors in the same way that lesser writers would write in death gratuitously for nonsensical reasons.

Well, I totally agree, however, in a sense that's good... We're not drawing out a death of a character that shouldn't be taken all that serioulsy. Bendis has made this clear by killing her this early on.

Latest posts

Back