Ultimate Secret #1 (Spoilers)

I didn't really understand this issue, I don't know who the characters are and what they're all talking about. I was kinda hoping someone could post like a handy summary.

I was a little confused too. A summary would be nice.

Well, we were all left scratching our head... Warren Ellis would be the only person that can help us out right now! ;)

Summary? Sure. I loved this issue.

A car drives up to a SHIELD testing facility. The driver is Dr Philip Lawson, who notes that security is very high, espeically since they only began installing it three years ago, after his car accident. The increased security is due to the testing of the Asis, a revolutionary new shuttlecraft.

Hosting the test is SHIELD agent Carol Danvers. She holds a summit that will be look on the launch of the Asis. Lawson begins to explain to those assembled what the Asis is and what it will mean for the present, and the future of humanity.

Instead of using chemical engines, which are slow and ultimately incapable of even interstellar flight, the Asis has been equipped with a nuclear-electric power core, which is heavily shielded as well as a Zero-Point Energy source. This energy source is essentially free and limitless, and the Asis is the first and only fully-fledged prototype to possess this method of propulsion. Should the test be successful, this will put the moon hours away, and Mars would take less than a week. And at the current-level of technology, short-term terraforming of Mars is also possible.

Humanity can go to the stars.

Provided the Asis takes off.

It's at this moment that shelling begins, killing the troops surrounding the base. The shelling is moving inward towards the shuttle, and we see large robotic footprints in the desert leading up to the launch.

Lawson, presses a button on his watch and green lenses form around his eyes and he can see the invisible foe - a tentacled robotic killing machine.

In the evacuation, Lawson escapes from the rest of the party and goes into a room. He takes off his clothes and then presses his watch which creates a metal suit around him, crackling with electricity and power, and we see Captain Mahr Vehl - who then turns invisible.

The monster, still invisible, continues cutting a path through the soldiers. Then, in his way, we see Captain Mahr Vehl's footprints. The monster stops.

Captain Mahr Vehl begins accessing the monster's computer brain, and the monster does not recognise Mahr Vehl. Mahr Vehl explains he has had surgery to fit in with the humans, and the monster, what we learn is called a "killform" relays a message from Mahr Vehl's superior. The message indicates that they are going to destroy the Asis and prevent humanity from reaching the stars and warns Mahr Vehl that he will be killed if he intervenes.

Mahr Vehl tells the killform to pass a message onto his superiors - he's coming to kill them.

Mahr Vehl fights with the killform, but soon realises that despite his rebellious bravado, he cannot defeat it.

He goes into the Asis shuttle, and begins trying to remove the nuclear-electric ZPE engine, when the Killform takes aim and... fires.

The Asis explodes, with Captain Mahr Vehl in it.

To be continued...

Last edited:
Yes, the car accident... This could be the reason Lawson needed surgery. He could've taken Kree technology to fix him up so that he can live a normal life again and he's been in contact with them since. That way, the reason why he's a pariah is explained and the reason why he sees the Killform as an enemy is, too. We'll see.

I really liked this issue. Good start of the mini, and very good introductions of captain mar-vehl and Carole Danvers. The art was great, I wouldn´t mind seeing McNiven on some more Ultimate projects in the future - maybe Ultimate FF?

The Killform was great fun, and had a very cool name. Is this something that exists in the regular 616 universe as well, or is the killform an invention of Ellis for this mini?

Regarding the Asis blowing up, I´m with Ultimate Warrior and the others on this one. I read the issue as the captain trying to remove the core from the shuttle, and the killform blowing it up.

Can´t wait for the next issue. But I have no choice. Damn.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Remember PopCultureShock preview where on page 7 it says "Wait until you see how this ties into Ultimate Nightmare"

Well I still don't see it.... :evil:
And remember how the editors said that you won't actually see how it ties in with Nightmare until later on? :roll:

I would say yes, cuz if you remember when I made the thread about when Newsarama posted the title "Arrival" and having the interview with one of the editors, the editor had said that later on people will see how Secret ties in with Nightmare.

icemastertron said:
I would say yes, cuz if you remember when I made the thread about when Newsarama posted the title "Arrival" and having the interview with one of the editors, the editor had said that later on people will see how Secret ties in with Nightmare.

If I recall correctly, it will be later in Arrival - oops, I mean Extinction - when we see how they all tie in together.

Yes, I think it was McNiven that said you can take each of the first two parts as different stories, however, to get the bigger picture, it's better if you have both. We'll see what happens, though, but I'm sure there'll be some hints at it.

TheManWithoutFear said:
It wasn't bad. But I wasn't that impressed with it.

Question I have is why did Mar-vell stop the flight? I thought that's what the robot wanted to do... hmmm?

I was under the impression that he wanted to get his precious battery thingie out of the rocket before the robot blew asis up. Doesnt look like he succeeded. Im probably wrong tho

EDIT: Just saw Bass and GW bring this up earlier, my bad

Last edited:
I think there's one obvious tie in between the two series'. Nightmare identifies that Earth is about to be destroyed by Galactus. Secret shows that humanity has the technology to escape Earth, but the Kree don't want this. The relation between the two books is as obvious as that. We won't see the full extent of how these two stories relate until Extinction, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that the two stories compliament eachother.

Others have made my usual argument about not juding issues by their own merit so I'll leave that one alone. All I'll say is that I thought this was a good opening, a bit short on plot, but we do get a lot of other material. Ellis gives Mar Vehl/Dr.Lawson a lot of characterization very quickly, with some nicely placed hints as to his origins. We get a good Read on Carol Danvers and look at Kree technology and their goal. This issue was all about set up and hopefully the rest will be more plot driven... they'll have to be given four issues. Unless of course Ellis intends to stick to the title and not give us too much, with the payoff in Extinction.

And to those who complain about techno babble, well it seemed fairly clear that this was a sci-fi series, so there has to be some science. And the b-movie explanations of "it goes fast because of superhypomega-drive" don't really cut it anymore. Ellis is trying to give it some real world, real-science relevance and ino drives and nuclear-electric motors are real as are theories of zero-point energy. It was done and I doubt we'll see more of it in the rest fo the series. So what's all the complaining about?

Finally, why are we complaining about no ultimates or FF? It was clear that the primary goal of this title was to intoduce Captain Marvel, the Kree by way of connecting them to the problem of there being no way to get off Earth to escape Galactus. The Ultimates will get called in because an extra terrestrial threat is interfering with a SHEILD operation. What was Nick Fury supposed to guess that an alien race he may or may not know anything about (likely less than was known about the Chitauri) was going to attack the Apsis launch and deploy the Ultimates just in case? There was a good reason for Reed not ebing there, given that the military' still nervous about the powers he and the others got, plus like Dr. Storm said, Reed's got his own pre-occupations. Though I'll admit it would have been nice to have him there. But no doubt the FF will get called in or they'll come running to protect Dr. Storm. But all that's mute because this book is not meant to be an Ultimates or UFF vehicle. Marvel puts stuff on covers to drive sales, or give indications about the series as a whole. If something on the cover doesn't reflect the issue... well I'm used to that by now.

Well I know that was an obvious tie in, but the way that popcultureshock said it , it made it seem like there was some really shocking revealation that I was waiting for when I read the issue. Never happened...

Not complaining about lack of appearances by Ultimates or UFF. Loved Captain Mar-vell and really hopeing that Carol Danver's has powers of some sort and a relationship with Mar-vell.

I think the biggest problem was the preview was too big. I dunno I have faith in the story as a whole but the issue was lacking.

TheManWithoutFear said:
Well I know that was an obvious tie in, but the way that popcultureshock said it , it made it seem like there was some really shocking revealation that I was waiting for when I read the issue. Never happened...

Exactly. The tie in was obvious from the solicitations, but also in the issue where Lawson said the ship would allow a mass exodus of Earth. That's obvious - and it's also obvious there is something else.

TheManWithoutFear said:
something else we're failing to discuss or something that is going to come from other issues?

Something else to come, possibly stemming from something we're failing to discuss. :D

Latest posts

Back