Ultimate Spider-Man #100 Discussion (SPOILERS!)

Vision looking like a female isn't bad to me.
The fact that Vision got a gender switch between continuites I don't mind. The fact that Vision was first seen as a male and then switched to a female is the disturbing part. :p

This has probably already been pointed out, but does anyone else remember Bendis's "Gwen will become Carnage- whoops!" comments in letter pages? :lol:

This issue was good, but not for issue 100. I expected lots and lots of action and for the explinations to come in the rest of the arc. Instead we get lots of explination for just one of the many "wtf?!" moments and not much else. Meh. :/

I'm still underwhelmed and disappointed by the issue, but I still have a bit of a theory about how all this happened with Gwen.

Since Richard was partially responsible for the Venom formula, maybe in his mind (and understand, years of not being able to see his son and knowing he was the target of a Trask assassination attempt could have some serious mental effects) he saw Carnage as a new and improved version and tested it on Gwen's dead body... and it worked. I think that Carnage is the only thing keeping her alive.

Now we're just going to experience the side effects... Gwen/Carnage will probably be "put down" out of neccesity or Carnage will separate from her and leave her dead, and Peter will undergo even more agony having to watch Gwen die again right in front of him. Sort of drives a spike into this whole family reunion thing, too. Throw MJ being experimented on by another Peter clone and the real Peter (please stand up, sir) is really going to need a shrink. Let's hope Dr. Strange's schedule is clear for the next 10 years. Poor kid.

Willverine said:
. . .and the real Peter (please stand up, sir) is really going to need a shrink. Let's hope Dr. Strange's schedule is clear for the next 10 years. Poor kid.

I was thinking Dr. Miles Warren actually. :twisted:

i have some comments......wtf with Fury?! so they're making him out to be some evil megalomanic with a desire to police the world? sounds sorta like stark's 50-state thing in civil war......so the CIA is against SHIELD, and are they gonna make spidey under the CIA's influence??? and if this is peter's dad, i think it'd be interesting if he turnde out to be evil....or at least a good-natured villian?? looks like they're making Richard Parker a Norman Osborn Character and leaving Osborn to be a full-time evil green goblin

That's how he's been shown as ever since the UU started
ok so maybe he will be some great villian.....actually i kinda like that idea now that i think about it.......but then they'll do something stupid with him in ultimates later on....:(

spider-slayer clones? ok i'd say we've went a lil overboard with the clones now......next someone will say the whole ultimate universe is a clone of the original......ok DON'T i know that is a stupid comment...

Darkspider I don't think you're realizing exactly how Fury is supposed to be portrayed.

He's not simply some Spider-Villain here. There's more dynamic to the character just as much as in the Ultimate Universe (i.e. Ultimates Annual #1) Where's he's portrayed as somewhat sinister and diehard and not as a straight up good guy. Just because he's after this story's main protagonist doesn't mean he's a bad guy. If anything Richard Parker's story should've solidified just how separate the sides are (C.I.A. vs. Nick Fury). Doesn't mean one's good and one's bad. They're both working to better the country.

Darkspider I don't think you're realizing exactly how Fury is supposed to be portrayed.

He's not simply some Spider-Villain here. There's more dynamic to the character just as much as in the Ultimate Universe (i.e. Ultimates Annual #1) Where's he's portrayed as somewhat sinister and diehard and not as a straight up good guy. Just because he's after this story's main protagonist doesn't mean he's a bad guy. If anything Richard Parker's story should've solidified just how separate the sides are (C.I.A. vs. Nick Fury). Doesn't mean one's good and one's bad. They're both working to better the country.

Actually, I understand what you're saying. I was saying IF Fury did get out of control, he would make a good villian. But I do understand what everyone's saying. The fact that they introduced Richard Parker working with the CIA means that there are now two sides trying to get him ( or at least one of them, as Fury seems to want him dead, or silenced.) Both SHIELD and the CIA will try to influence Peter. This will probably lead to Spidey foregoing both and becoming even more of a loner. It seems that they are leading Spider-man to be a more solid, solo hero who doesn't need the help of the Ultimates or others.

Not if the CIA we see is really just a front for Ultimate HYDRA. With all the Clandestine Ops and supplying rebels the CIA has done even at the expense of unfavorable democracies. I can't really imagine them getting on a moral bent about what Major/Col Fury was doing at the time. Gyrich totally assualts fury's character as if there is some personal animosity between them. Bottomline this so called CIA we see reeks of HYDRA, they hate SHIELD, there's clones, a Spider-Woman (Jessica Drew?) it can't be a coincidence. Maybe it's HYDRA in disguise, or maybe elements of this group will form HYDRA.

Last edited:
Came home this weekend and caught up on my comics... I don't get them mailed to me in college.

All I've gotta say is that USM is not going to be the same after this arc. I don't know if that is a good or a bad thing yet. I've bought in to every cliche moment this arc has had and will probably continue to do so. I really like what's being done... I just haven't considered what the title will be like afterwards.

Richard Parker is back... And sketchy at best. You would think Peter's father would be a good-hearted guy from what we knew of him in the Venom arc, but I can't help but think there's more to him than the things we know already. This is very puzzling for me. I guess we'll see, though...

I like the twist that Peter's life is more tied to Fury than we thought. It'll be interesting to see what his father's role will be in the next issue.

And the sketcbook was a nice touch for Bagley. He's finally getting credit for his persistence. Real cool. Makes me wonder if they'll do that for UXM #100...

Latest posts

Back