Ultimate Spider-Man #103... SPOILERS!

No, it really was that dumb. You know,with all the useless Richard Parker bull**** and the recap pages (and I guess some people might count the sketchbook pages as crappy, though I liked them) the 100th issue actually had less real content than the average issue. Plus, you can pretty much write any scene with Tarantula off, since the poor guy was completely redundant. Maybe his weird chest anatomy means the girder missed a vital spot? If Tarantula dies, it will be so completely lame that they wasted time on him.

Tarantula's ridiculous waste irked me quite a bit. Same with Kaine.
Once #104 is released and wraps this whole up, I'll probably hold an overall negative opinion. Especially with the waste that was #100.

USM 100 was the single worst anniversary issue of all time. The timeline was a waste, particularly since it was just reprinted from the Free Comic Book Day comic, it was right in the middle fo a storyline and had no surprises except, as previously noted, half a book worth of lies from a fake character.

Peter growing two extra arms would have been a lot cooler.

USM hasn't been good since Cats and Kings. That's half the run so far that's pretty much sucked.

Get Peter back in school, have Kong and Flash and Liz around, go back to the stuff that made this the best super-hero book at the time.

USM 100 was the single worst anniversary issue of all time. The timeline was a waste, particularly since it was just reprinted from the Free Comic Book Day comic, it was right in the middle fo a storyline and had no surprises except, as previously noted, half a book worth of lies from a fake character.

Peter growing two extra arms would have been a lot cooler.

USM hasn't been good since Cats and Kings. That's half the run so far that's pretty much sucked.

Get Peter back in school, have Kong and Flash and Liz around, go back to the stuff that made this the best super-hero book at the time.

I wish you were Bendis's editor. That's the most sane direction to possibly go with USM, and it's so simple it most not register with Bendis at all.

It's really the only way for the book to go, unless it wants to just keep getting out there, have Peter join the Ultimates, go to another planet and fight space aliens.

Oh, and Flash Thompson is the son of Magneto and Kong is the new Stilt-Man.

Oh wait, they'd have to actually appear in the book for that to happen.

If Doc Ock has magnetic powers, why did his arms talk to him way back when? When did they stop talking to him?

Also: Otto Octavius just turned from one of the more interesting characters of the Ultimate Universe into a second-rate rip off...

The most painful parts of this arc are the well written sequences suffering from the godawful plot they represent... The good!bendis is so close to the surface I can see it bleeding through at points... I just wish it wasn't wasted on this **** storyline.

And killing off these clones already? How cheap is that ****?

If Jessica Drew dies in the next issue, i will be unspeakably unhappy... There is SO much potential for interesting stories centered around a female hero with a male past.

This book needs a new direction. Yesterday.

If my mom hadn't renewed my subscription for my birthday, this series would become the first Ultimate ongoing i've dropped.

I agree point for point. The few good moments have been covered with ****.

The new Doc Ock is worst than Mary Gobin. Easy.

I really want to drop this but I have an emotional attachment. I havn't bought it yet.

Magneto Ock is worse than Goblin MJ because MJ doesn't have to be a Goblin anymore. She could be transformed once and the Oz could be cleared from her system and it could never happen again. Which is why I don't understand why everybody made such a big deal about it.

But Ock will always have had magnet powers. Even if he somehow loses them and gets his real arms back, he'll always have been a magnet guy from his first appearance till now. That's what really sucks. It doesn't just change him from now on, which would be fine. It changes everything he's ever been in.

MJ Goblin doesn't change anything really. It's just a weird experience the friend of a super-hero occasionally has.

Unless MJ goblins-out every now and then from it, because Reed can't cure it.

And if he could, then Norman, Ock, and Harry can all be cured....and should be. Thus creating a plot hole that can only be filled with a stupid, "I can only cure the early stages of Oz," explanation.

Well, sure, if MJ remains a Goblin, that would be worse than Ock. But it's not likely to happen, I would guess.

But if I'm wrong, I'll take it all back.

Unless MJ goblins-out every now and then from it, because Reed can't cure it.

And if he could, then Norman, Ock, and Harry can all be cured....and should be. Thus creating a plot hole that can only be filled with a stupid, "I can only cure the early stages of Oz," explanation.

Nah... They'll Cure it and Norman will re-inject himself with the serum, because he is bat**** insane.

I'm afraid of reading this issue. I'm not going to buy it but I wanted to read it. I think if I read this my brain will come out from my nose.
For what I read here, I can say that many things that Bendis does gets you surprised, you would never think that would happen.
Then again, doing a backflip, take a gun out of your *** and shoot your grandma is something that would caught everyone surprised too.
I think Bendis is trying so hard to make twists that no one will predict that he is not really thinking about it.

I agree with everything VVD said. :D

Wait... what? I think I'm confused... is it just me, or was EVERYTHING that Richard/Peter Parker told in the big, all-important 100th issue, completely false?
Looks to be that way, which is the one thing I don't like about Richard being a clone. Although I'm relieved we don't have a weird father/son "connection" storyline coming up, that was an awful lot of worthless exposition to sit through in #100. There were signs that Richard wasn't the real deal though, when he tells Peter he's a doctor when Fury is attacking the house, then when Sue Storm comes in, he acts completely useless, like as if he has no actual medical knowledge. Plus, to be honest, if that was actually Peter's dad, he's a low person to abandon his son and I don't feel like bogging through a bunch of melodramatic BS just to be different from the 616 storyline.

I think Kaine, Tarantula and Scorpion will get killed next issue. I suspect Jessica will live. In terms of interest for me, it goes Jessica, Tarantula, Kaine and then Scorpion. I hate Scorpion, there's no way he's making it through next issue because he's completely, certifiably insane. If they kill Tarantula, they kill him.

It's pretty obvious about you guys' reaction to Doc Ock's new powers... but it had to come eventually. I had a really strong feeling he would end up that way after he lost his old tentacles. It's the easiest way to bring back the trademark tentacles, since it would be pretty stupid for SHIELD or the FBI to let him build a new one.

I'm probably in the minority here but I'm entertained by this arc. It's not the best and I'm really disappointed that Richard is a clone since it pretty much made the 100th issue a total waste, but it has been a long time since I was fascinated with what would happen next in an issue of USM since Venom.

Most likely MJ will be back to normal, I suspect that the short time it has been since she was injected with Oz will be Bendis' explanation why they can cure her but not Norman and Harry. I also agree that if Tarantula really dies, his ultimization is a waste. For Scorpion, I hate that Bendis made him mentally unstable. I really wanted him to be just a confused clone with certain 'quirks' and a hint of insanity but still actually having a speaking role but he ended up just being another one in the roster.

Last edited:
It's pretty obvious about you guys' reaction to Doc Ock's new powers... but it had to come eventually. I had a really strong feeling he would end up that way after he lost his old tentacles. It's the easiest way to bring back the trademark tentacles, since it would be pretty stupid for SHIELD or the FBI to let him build a new one.
"We need to bring the arms back so let's give him magnetic powers." Dude, that's the weakest storytelling that this series has EVER seen. It's ok that you're fine with it but there are other, more creative ways to get the arms back.

Unless someone esle has already stated this, 616 Ock didn't have magnetic powers. He had a mental connection with them. Thus explaining why they talked to him, and why he could control them when they weren't on him.

Bendis is going to some crap like make Ock Magneto's cousin or something. So Octavius is a Jewish name...

I'm seriously disappointed with the clones. The only one they have done right is Drew, and Bendis will probably **** it up as well. "Let's make Peter's clone his love intrest." Damn you Bendis. Damn you to Hell.

Scorpion, Kaine, and Tarantula are now wasted Ultimazations. They could've been done really well, but now Bendis will kill them all off. Then we'll see them maybe 75-100 issues from now (because by now it's obvious Bendis sold his soul so that he could work on USM forever and do what ever he wants) with absolutely no proper explanation why Peter's clones came back to life, except Johnny Storm saying, "Hey, I know you."

Edit: And I swear, I almost thought that Keehar was Bendis, but I doubt we'd be that lucky.:twisted:

Last edited:
I'm seriously disappointed with the clones. The only one they have done right is Drew, and Bendis will probably **** it up as well. "Let's make Peter's clone his love intrest." Damn you Bendis. Damn you to Hell.

I'm actually writing my first fanfic on an Ultimate Drew/Peter relationship. It's titled 'Playing With Yourself."

"We need to bring the arms back so let's give him magnetic powers." Dude, that's the weakest storytelling that this series has EVER seen. It's ok that you're fine with it but there are other, more creative ways to get the arms back.

I wasn't saying I was fine with it, but it was the predictable route I was expecting Bendis to take. It appears that this was the end result of Bendis digging a real deep hole in how Ock's powers work. He decided that Doc Ock's tentacles can be removed. Then he decides that Doc Ock can control the tentacles remotely. Afterwards, Doc Ock goes nuts and forcing the very hard-assed Ultimate SHIELD to destroy his tentacles and lock him up for good. I can't close the door and say there is no other way, but I'm saying that giving him metal-manipulating abilities (I do not want to automatically assume it is magnetism) was the EASIEST thing to do. Therefore, I am in one way agreeing with you.

If for example, the fusion of the tentacles on Otto beforehand made it impossible to be removed surgically without killing him, he would have kept the classic Doc Ock powers.

Last edited:
I thought Doc Ock having metal powers was kind of smart.

*is lit on fire*

Hey, cut that out. >.>

It could easily be said that the reason Ock never showed this before is because he simply didn't know. As for feeling the arms pain and talking to the arms? For all we know that was simply him not being in complete control of his powers, like Jean was when she first developed hers.

Kind of lame how they just kind of let a known murderer work with the CIA, though. I would have hoped to have a bit more explination...

And curses! Tarantula was my favorite of all the Spider-clones. XD I don't care about the others, though. They can (and should) all die.

3/5.

Something occurred to me when I was re-reading this... a few people mentioned that since Jessica was phase five, there must be four other clones before her (this would make her the youngest clone). But in this issue, Ultimate Doctor Octamagnetopus says that they removed the Y gene (or chromosone, I can't recall the difference) in "phase two". I think this implies that there are different phases in the cloning process, not different phases in the overall experiment.

Latest posts

Back